1. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!

Which is the correct description????

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by Cdn Writer, Aug 16, 2020.

I am a guy so I am so confused by this.

I need to write down a description of what a kidnap victim who is 7 years old is wearing. It takes place in 1975 so I know there were no "leggings" back then (I think?) but otherwise....

This is so bloody confusing. Every description I have written feels "wrong" and I can't figure out why but I am guessing it is because I don't know the differences between these articles of clothing.

Exactly what is the difference between the following articles of clothing, AND WHY ARE THERE DIFFERENT NAMES???? Especially when they seem to be the same thing?!

The words that seem to be getting used inter-changably are:

tights
    pantyhose
    leotards
    stockings
    leggings
    (there are probably another two or three but...)

Can anyone tell me what the difference is and how you know that difference? I know it has nothing to do with colour but other than that, I cannot pin it down.

Part of my story, I want the description to be broadcast to be understood by the maximum number of viewers when it is in the papers and on the tv news. What description is accurate??

I came across a couple of books about the kidnapping of Kristen French in Canada in the 1990s and both authors are describing the same articles of clothing. They both use different words! Nick Pron uses "tights" while Steven Williams uses "leotards" in their writing.

In the book below by Nick Pron, the description is "tights"
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1531254.Lethal_Marriage

In the book below by Stephen Williams, the description is "leotards"
    https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/product/9780988015296-item.html?ref=item_page:richrel:rr_carousel:json1

I cannot fathom how the exact same article of clothing can be described two different ways. If there are two different names, this suggests to me that they are two different things but.......?????

Honestly, am I the only person that doesn't understand this????

Thanks!

2. Cdn Writer

TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I asked somewhere else as well:

"Stockings, as far as I can tell, is the most umbrella term out of these. It refers to form-fitting leg coverings higher than the typical ankle-encompassing sock. Knee-highs are stockings which, as described, come up to or just below the knee. Tights are stockings which cover the entire leg, usually with the material extending up to the waistline, similarly to leggings, though leggings are treated more like form-fitting trousers. Nylons are simply any variety of stocking which are made of nylon material, and I think pantyhose refers specifically to tights made of nylon; I've never heard it used to refer to tights of any other material, myself. I hope that clears things up, but I'll admit it's about as vast and potentially confusing as any topic covered within the English language."

Gah!!

Anyone else?

3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

tights - these are opaque and usually made of nylon. Usually has more of a matte finish than pantyhose.
    pantyhose - translucent to show the color of skin underneath, also nylon but more silky to the feel.
    leotards - leotards are a bodysuit similar to what a dancer would wear.
    stockings - these are like pantyhose but they only come up to the thigh. They are either held up by a garter belt or elastic.
    leggings - like tights but even more opaque, usually a polyester/Lycra blend.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  4. Laurin Kelly

Just to add - in the 70's at 7 years old, I would refer to what she's wearing as tights.

Source - was 7 years old in 1976.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

With one caveat. Tights have 'feet' in them—as do pantyhose and stockings. What we call leggings nowadays ...close-fitting leg coverings that serve as trousers, with no feet in them ...didn't really exist then. I was a young adult in the 1970s, and would have happily worn them if they had existed. They MIGHT have been made for dancers to practise in ...I don't know about that. But if they did, they hadn't yet made it to street wear.

6. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

The term "spandex" was becoming very popular in the 70s (an anagram of expands, as it happens)

Certainly in the UK anyone would have known what you meant if you said spandex trousers or just spandex, but they were possibly more for rock-stars, disco queens, groupies, and fitness instructors than 7 year olds

Cdn Writer likes this.
  7. Cdn Writer

Thanks all!

I'm going with "tights" - hopefully now that I understand the difference, it will feel right.

I have to admit, this was way more difficult to pin down than it should have been.

HOWEVER - if there is another kidnapping at a later date, it will be helpful to vary the description to match the era. Like in the aughts, "leggings" would be the description, not "tights."

Thanks again!

8. Laurin Kelly

Do'h - can't believe I forgot about the foot thing!

Not sure about the 70's, but in the 80's when I was in dance classes we did have footless tights, but they weren't commonly seen in street clothes.

Just to get nerdy, I watched a documentary on how athletic wear morphed into leisure wear for women in the early 200o's in large part because Lululemon made yoga pants with a gusset in the crotch for the first time. The resulted in leggings that did not result in the dreaded camel toe, so more women felt comfortable going out in public with them on after yoga class. What used to be raggy gym clothes turned into a status symbol.

Cdn Writer and jannert like this.