Tags:
  1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

RomCom movies vs books

Discussion in 'Romance Forums' started by BayView, Aug 13, 2017.

I think it was one of you guys who pointed out that you generally enjoy RomCom novels, but generally can't stand RomCom movies, and I'm in exactly the same boat.

But I really can't figure out why. Do you guys feel the same way, and if so... any theories?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I think that was Laurin.

I haven't watched a whole lot of romcoms but I generally find them okay - not amazing but not terrible. There are a few I've liked enough to watch several times, including What Women Want and Miss Congeniality (does that count as a romcom?)

I've really struggled to find romcom novels I like. I think my standards for fictional men are WAY too high, and I also find it hard to switch off author mode when I read in my genre.

I do think the men come off far less sympathetic on screen than they would in a novel. Not only do you miss out on introspection on screen, but character development is often sacrificed for cheap jokes. Then again, I think Mel Gibson's character in WWW would be even more of an arsehole in novel form, so maybe that theory is bollocks.

Pauline and BayView like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I'm the same as Tenderiser, and actually those are two of my favorite romcom movies as well. I also have seen The Proposal several times, but I don't think that counts because I mostly watch it for the parts with Betty White, because I love her.

(And now I'm really afraid of Tenderiser reading my book since I'm pretty sure she's going to hate it. Which is okay, of course but - :eek:)

BayView likes this.
  4. BayView

Hmmm... now I'm trying to think of RomCom novels I've enjoyed... I think Georgette Heyer's stuff would classify, at least some of it. The plots are totally over-the-top and absurd, but I'm willing to go along with them because the writing is so fun.

I wonder if good writing in a written RomCom is the equivalent of a good/appealing actor in a movie. I didn't hate The Proposal, and a large part of that was because both of the leads are actors who I like. Same with most of the Ryan Gosling/Emma Stone oeuvre. Hmmmm... possibly my theory's falling apart....

5. Trish

I think whether or not I like them definitely depends, in large part, on whether or not I like the actors. If I hate the actor, sometimes I just can't get past it.

BayView and Tenderiser like this.
  6. Tenderiser

I doubt I will hate it. :D Well, okay, I probably will if you have an alpha-hole male. ;)

There might be something in that. Sandra Bullock is one of my favourite actresses, hence Miss Congeniality, and Helen Hunt is class (WWW). I love Bruce Almighty which is kinda-sorta-a-bit-like-a-romcom, and I like both Jennifer Aniston and Jim Carrey.

On the other hand I can't stand Love Actually, and am indifferent about all the main actors in that.

BayView and Trish like this.
  7. Trish

Oh, eww. No, he's nothing like that. I can't handle that shit. I'd punch them.

I like Love Actually, in a - this can play in the background and I don't have to pay attention to it kinda way. Because I never pay attention to it.

I'm with you on the rest though. :D

8. Tenderiser

That describes how I feel about romcom movies - they're pleasant background noise for the most part. Not offensive but not scintillating either. Whereas the romcom novels I've enjoyed really stick in my mind and make me laugh/cry/etc.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. BayView

I think maybe part of my problem with RomComs is that they're so BIG--like millions and millions of dollars, hundreds of people, probably, involved in putting them together, etc.--so when they spout offensive, paternalistic, oh, isn't-the-woman-so-silly bullshit, I feel like it's more disgusting. Like, really? Out of all those people, there weren't enough with just a little sense who could stand up and say, uh, actually, she's acting like a total idiot here... couldn't we shift it around a little.

Charming idealistic of me, I guess.

I can ignore it when a single author and his/her editor create characters I hate, but it's harder to accept it when a large group creates those characters!

10. Trish

I actually agree with this, but I think many women want to be swept off their feet so to speak, and most men just can't rise to the occasion without dumbing the chick down a bit. I console myself with the knowledge that I know she's an idiot.

BayView likes this.
  11. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Yep, that was actually me. I'm very picky about comedies in general though, so I think that contributes greatly. I feel like I can count the comedy movies I like on both hands and have fingers left over.

I also feel like the lack of diversity in RomComs bores me greatly, it seems to always be 20-30 year old middle class straight white people with first world problems that I've seen fifty million times before. It's not a movie, but the most recent season of Master of None on Netflix was an incredible RomCom that I was 100% up for. Dev and Francesca's journey was full stop amazing.

Tenderiser likes this.
  12. Tenderiser

That's a very good point, Laurin. I can't think of any well-known romcoms featuring people who aren't white and middle class.

Well, there's 50 Shades of Black, but that's (obviously) parody rather than straight up romcom. Worth a watch though!

13. BayView

There is a definite sub-culture of black movies that a lot of white people (including me) don't know much about--the tradition Tyler Perry came out of (and will hopefully go BACK to), and I think some of them are romcoms. And of course a lot of Bollywood movies are essentially romcoms, but I agree, the big Hollywood blockbusters tend to be very white.

I think Will Smith has done some, though? And maybe Eddie Murphy? Coming to America had more emphasis on the Com than the Rom, but I think it might fit. I'm not thinking of many WOMEN of colour who get to star in them, though?

The list at https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-romantic-comedies-of-all-time/ has ONE character of colour in 45 movies (so 90 lead characters?), based on a quick scan of the images. So... yeah, yikes.

14. Trish

The only one I can think of starring Will Smith is Hitch, and he wasn't the love interest. I agree on the Tyler Perry stuff (and I don't know much about it either). Would Barbershop count? It's not a romance though, really, although there is some in it. I can't think of any others.

Definitely a yikes moment.

15. Tenderiser

I guess The Nutty Professor could just about be classed as a romcom, but is really a sci-fi comedy with a romance subplot.

I can't think of a single one with a black woman as a lead. Or Asian, outside of Bollywood (I do love me a Bollywood romcom though!)

This is depressing.

You know what the answer is? My manuscripts into movies. I'll start the petition.

16. Trish

I can think of a romance that has a black woman as the lead, but not romcom. My books wouldn't help. I have 2 white women and a spanish chick.

17. Tenderiser

Along with whities I have a black woman, a mixed race man, and an Indian (Asian, not Native) woman.

And a token gay friend.*

*I say this tongue in cheek. Don't kick me out.

18. Trish

It must sound pretty weird saying things with your tongue in your cheek.

I don't have any token anything in mine. Maybe I should add one. :p

Tenderiser likes this.
  19. Tenderiser

A token socially-awkward British woman called Tendee?

Trish likes this.
  20. Trish

I was gonna call her PITA :p

21. Tenderiser

sadturtle.jpg

Trish likes this.
  22. Trish

Ah, what a lovely representation of role reversal and homesickness you have portrayed here, Tenderiser. Bloody touching!

That's pretty cute - and I have no clue what it means.

Tenderiser likes this.
  23. Tenderiser

It's me (I am a turtle) being sad and forlorn. Do you feel guilty? DO YA?

Trish likes this.
  24. Trish

Uh-huh. *nods* I do.

*giggles as she walks away*