1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Which publishing house owns the rights?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Poziga, Feb 3, 2018.

Hi.

This may be a bit weird question, but how do I find the owner of the rights for Kings The Shining? We have a project at our uni where we translate sections of books and if we want them to be published in a magazine, we need to get translation rights (there is no translation of the book in my language yet). I know I need to contact the representative of the company for my country/area, but since The Shining has been published a while back, the Rights have probably been sold a couple of times, so does anyone know who owns the rights now?

Thank you. :)

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Looks like Anchor, based on https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BANK32/?tag=writingfor07a-20 .

But they may or may not hold translation rights for your region. King's contracts are probably pretty complicated and he wouldn't likely be handing away any rights the publisher doesn't plan to use.

So it's possible King still holds the rights himself, in which case you'd probably have to go through his agent. (Who seems to be Chuck Verrill... http://dvagency.com/clients/)

TWErvin2, Steerpike and Poziga like this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree re: getting in touch with his agent. Much better approach than trying to figure this out on your own. The agent should be aware of the various contractual obligations that may exist around the rights (and a copyright covers a bundle of rights: not just one).

Poziga likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It's easy enough to connect with King himself via twitter ... He'll probably refer you to his agent, but he is best placed to know who owns what

Poziga likes this.