1. Lee DeVerdery

Lee DeVerdery New Member

Who am I, and what am I doing here?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lee DeVerdery, Dec 13, 2017.

Hello!

Who am I, and what am I doing here, you ask? Great questions! I have no clue...

I just read @MilatheRose's New Member intro in which s/he (how do you tell gender on here?) wrote "I don't really consider myself a writer. To do that I think you have to finish at least one book and then let someone else read it. I haven't accomplished that yet so I will go with type monkey for now." While I love the moniker "type monkey," and would like to borrow it for myself, I'm not sure I can agree with @MilatheRose's definition that a writer is only someone who has finished a book. If that is the case, please count me out of the writer category as well.

I like to think that a writer is anyone who uses writing in any form - journaling, poetry, fiction-writing, scientific papers, etc - to grapple with what it is to be human. I do that. A lot. I've written a ton of poetry (though not so much lately), I journal regularly, and I've dabbled in creative fiction ranging from YA to fantasy to romance and erotica. So maybe I'm a writer? Yet I struggled when confronted with selecting a primary genre, and copped out by selecting general fiction.

To be completely honest, I think I'm better as an editor than I am as a writer. I love writing, but I cannot keep myself from editing. It's nearly impossible for me to read something without at least proofreading, if not full on copyediting. And I also think it's a safe choice for me: I'm incredibly reticent to share my writing with others, because it's hard for me to not cross the line into writing for approval. I would rather write for myself than for others. I'm selfish, and suffer from a fragile ego. See? We're already learning plenty about who I am!

As for what I'm doing here? I'm not sure yet if I'm here as a preamble to amping myself up to start sharing my writing, or to find a constructive outlet for my penchant for editing, or for some other, as-yet-undiscovered reason. Wherever I end up, I look forward to exploring with all of you.

Warmly,
    Lee

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Lee :D

Lee DeVerdery likes this.
  3. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

I think a lot of us base the definition of "a writer" on personal goals, so reaching the point when we are comfortable calling ourselves writers differs a lot. I always liked the expression "writers write", so if you write; you're a writer. :) Welcome to the forums!

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum. I liked how you titled this thread; it reminded me of the title of a book that has stuck in my head: Where Am I, Now That I Need Me?

5. Lee DeVerdery

Lee DeVerdery New Member

Great point, @crappycabbage! I appreciate the reminder that the definition of "writer" can be incredibly personal and means something different for different people. As long as we're applying our definition to ourselves, we're in good territory!

crappycabbage likes this.
  6. Lee DeVerdery

Lee DeVerdery New Member

Oooh, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That's a good way of putting it. The best stories are almost always about the human condition, like life and death, love, loss, betrayal, etc....

Welcome aboard!

Lee DeVerdery likes this.