Who Are The Worst Boozers In The World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lycos, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

so what, are we saying that it is ok to be an alcoholic and kill our selves over booze as long as it doesn’t get under your nose. Very nice.
    yea, and the exact same thing is happening with the middle class people but no one gives a crap about that do they?? What is the difference, simply the fact that they are not annoying you??

I am sorry but this is really hacking me off. We have seen that both have drinking problems, the youth and the middle class, but because the middle class are not under out feet and disturbing us, and can legally do it, it is fine, we should leave them to it. It is completely hypocritical to say that one group can be alcoholics and the other can’t; we should set a solid example for them all, not one rule for one, another rule for the other.

Heather

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

If you introduced yourself as a chav then I would not have cared because we don't have "chavs" here. We have people here who cause trouble....but it is not blamed on one group of people. So I think most of Canada can be the exception of judging chavs :D :D :D

3. Heather Louise

well thanks, and if you aint heard of chavs then fair enough. but if you know what a chav is, and are not a chav yourself, you automatically assume they are all bad,, or a lot of people do. i suppose it is what happens with things.

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

No heather, you're just over reacting and twisting my words. I said that the middle classes cause less trouble if they drink in their home - statisically that's the truth and therefore is not stereotyping at all. I never said that I didn't care I just stated a fact, that the reason the media focus on the youths is because they cause more trouble for other people.

Also, you entirely ignored the bit of my post where i said there was a difference in the three bottles of wine consumed and bingedrinking.

Actually, it isn't the "exact same thing". The middle classes that drink at home don't cause trouble in the streets. Generally, they don't steal things, they don't destroy property, they don't intimidate other people, they don't graffiti etc. A much larger number of drunken youths do this. Its a statistical fact.

Nobody said that they didn't care Heather, my entire post was pretty much just a response to a question about why youths attract more attention. Not which is right and which is wrong. Neither is right.

Also, the fact that it is is legal does make a difference. What is the point in having these laws if so many people just trash them to the point where our society is dangerous? Is there one?

"one group can be alcoholics and the other can’t"

Yes, that would be a hypocritical statement, but nobody said it. I have never said that it is alright for a particular group to be alcoholics. Alcoholism is a serious problem and should be treated as such, no matter who it affects.

"we should set a solid example"

What kind of example do you mean? You were arguing that there was nothing wrong with youths drinking earlier so im a bit confused.

I'm sorry if anything I said upset you heather but its an opinion, and nothing I said before was directed at you. I'm sorry if you took an offence, but statistically what I said was correct. Also, if you read my last post properly you'd see that it was all supposition as to why the media focuses on youth drinking, not that I believe that the youth is worse.

5. Heather Louise

I never once said it was all right for the underage to be drinking, not once. What I am saying is that there seems to be little problem made about the alcoholics in middle class but chavs drinking, that is a sin. Also, a lot of chavs that drink are also legally allowed to but they still get slagged off.
    hand on,, consuming that much wine is worse than binge drinking. At leart with binge drinking the body has time to relax and get the last alcohol through their body were as drinking every night gives it no chance to pass. So they are worse for that.
    yea but it is still a small percentage of youths that act like this. Have you noticed that the media never tells people just how many youths do this,, as it is not many, they just want to make it sound like loads.
    no, but everyone’s attitude seems to be that the chavs and underage are completely in the wrong and yet they are quick to defend the middle classed people who are doing it. I see no difference myself.
    right, well then in that case I propose a new law. No one is allowed to be an alcoholic. Ho about we spend more time focusing on the people with alcoholism problems, the people most likely to die from it, than some kids having a laugh. Ok, they are both bad, but I know which I would want to sort out first.
    ideally, an example where everyone doesn’t drink much, where no-one binge drinks and no-one is alcoholic. But at very least an example where everyone is treat the same towards drink,, not shoved off as if one is better.
    I know, but I was defending my corner as a whole and pointing out my opinion, no offence meant towards you either. :)

Heather

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Alcoholism and drinking culture are different issues, really. Drinking culture is the behavior that results from "binge drinking". Alcoholism is harmful and dangerous, and not permissable in any level of society, but binge drinking is more than that. It leads to anti-social behavior, and all that rubbish, which middle class people dowing bottle after bottle of wine in their homes don't. That's not to say they don't have just as much of a problem, only that there problem doesn't impact so much on society. I hope that helps clear things up heather.

7. Heather Louise

yes, binge drinking may have a bigger inmpact on the streets and stuff. alcoholism leads to more deaths than binge drinking though. i am more worried about the amount of people dying than i am about a bit of graffitti and stuff. ok, they are both rpoblems that hould be sorted out, but people#s lives are more at risk when they are always drinking in such huge amounts.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

A good deal of my friends go out "binge drinking", and aside from the dangers of liver disease or whatever that come with regular alcoholism, there is the chance that they could do something stupid and end up dead or hurt. I'm not sure I'd be able to agree with you saying that simple alcoholism causes more deaths than binge drinking, heather.

9. Kit

I think that's because the term chav is so much associated with the youths that cause trouble when they drink. You should notice that i've not actually said chav in my posts. You just sort of assumed I meant that...

Medically, bingedrinking is actually far worse for your body.

Don't forget that with 3 bottles of wine, thats usually no more than 12 glasses in a week and there is no mention of strength. Just less than 1.75 glasses a day. Is there anything wrong with a glass of wine with each main meal of the day? That would be more than 3 bottles usually.

You're pretty much agreeing with what I think there, I feel that the media will always focus on the "shock" stories will bring. After all, it has to attract readership and it will show what it feels necessary to show to achieve this much of the time.

However, statistics do prove that much of the increase in crime is commited by youths aged around 16 - 24. Also, the increase in drinking of those underage has occured at the same time as an increase in violence by young people. A sure correlation, no?

Although, in my opinion there is a difference in drinking, as shown by my calculations on wine glasses earlier lol, the main difference seems to be the consequence. The trouble caused after drinking.

Haha... sorry hun but i don't think its that simple. Besides its the same as drugs - people carry on. The laws exist but they aren't enforced. Until we can enforce the laws we have, why make more?

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Both binge drinking and prolonged alcohol abuse cause plenty of damage. I'm not ready to say one is worse than the other. Both put a big strain on the body which can lead to organ failure. Chronic alcohol abuse causes cumulative damage to many organs, including the liver, kidneys, intestinal tract, and brain. Binge drinking shocks the organs and can cause acute failures, and alcohol poisoning can result in sudden death in an otherwise healthy person.

11. Heather Louise

people who are drinking in excessive amounts every day are more at risk of getting liver disease and the normal things associated with over drinking than people only doing it once a week. And while they are drunk, albeit inside their own home, they could set fire to the kitchen or fall down the stairs or anything, just much risk.

nope, no-one but me has actually mentioned chav’s I don’t think. What was saying is that it tends to be blamed on the chavs, not tat you have.

12 lasses a day equals roughly 24 units a week. A man, which is allowed higher, is only allowed 14-22 units a week. They are drinking well over what they are allowed. Now in binge drinking, you have something like 6-9 units in a night, twice a week at the most say. That is only 12-18 a week, which ok, might still be too much but is a considerable amount less than the middle class. How can that be worse??

very probably yes, but it is now were near as bad as they are making out. I am sorry, but I live in a hard going estate where I have seem what is going on. I live in the worst place to live in the country – Middlesbrough. Now they say boro is so bad because of it’s drinking and stuff, and coming from boro, and a bad part of boro really, I can honestly say it is no-where near as bad as people re making it out to be. I mean seriously, they make out as if everyone is pissed all the time and goes around killing people and themselves every night when it is simply not true.

yea, but as you have already said, people do not listen to laws, so why have any laws if people are just going to break them anyways?

Heather

12. Kit

Yes, there are risks as a consequence of drinking. But, the drinking itself poses more of a medical risk when you drink a sudden amount all in one go.

The way that you were arguing seemed to imply that we all blame it on the chavs too, us on the forums.

Lmao. If it was 12 glasses a day i'd be agreeing, but I said 12 per week.

Absolutely, the area where I live has been named as being in the top 10 worst places to live. Yet, I love here and I don't believe we have as much crime as they portray in the newspapers etc. Nevertheless, when I go out after dark there are always drunken groups of youths causing trouble and intimidating people. Several local businesses - primarily takeaways - now close at like 8.30/9pm to avoid the trouble.

You'd give up and live in chaos rather than fight to change it? We should put more effort into enforcing the law, not give up. We shouldn't be so lenient. Its well and good to point out society's problems, changing it is harder.

13. Frost

Frost Active Member

Australia tops you all.

Dont even try.

14. Kit

Lmao! Well that's a nice confession there Frost.

15. Frost

Frost Active Member

Well, it's the truth.

16. Heather Louise

erm,, what?? So are you saying that 24 units a week is ok?? Because that is well over the limit
    I am sorry but that is life. You always have the youth rebelling. You always have the few idiots that want to ruin it for everyone (which are not always the youth). You always have the sick people who go around injuring people (again, rarely the youth). It is not brilliant, I know, but that is what happens. There is no place that doesn’t have any of that. We should work to reduce the amount of this going on in the streets and work with the people drinking within their homes to unsafe limits.
    no, not in this discussion, no-one has, but I remember fine and clearly what happened last time we started discussing chavs and the crap we got accused of, so I just thought I would mention it aint always the chavs, as the news has been saying for the first time the other day.
    no, I would never give up with something I believe in. I am was saying though, that I really hate the way there is one rule for one, and another rule for the other. People are allowed to drink themselves to death in a house but not on the street?? I think there should be a law to not only sort out he youths drinking and the people on the street, but the people silently killing themselves inside their own homes aswell.

And lol Frost, you can be the worst if you want; it is not really a title I am proud Britain supposedly has. I hate the fact where I live have been labelled, on live TV, the worst place to live in the UK. It really annoys me because the people who have made this show probably haven’t even taken the time to have a look around and see what is going on. Instead o trying to help us promote a better Middlesbrough, and help us improve it, like they should be, they tell people to stay well clear of it and make sure everyone knows it. Ok, so I don’t live right in the town centre of Middlesbrough, but the problem is that the neighbouring towns, including the one where I live, also gets a really bad name aswell, even though we were not even mentioned in this survey. Either way, I am happy where I live and yea, we can get a big of s**t happening on the streets form time to time, but that happens every where, it aint a bad place to live.

Heather

17. crs

crs Active Member

It's unfair to say that Canadians are the worst drinkers in the world, because one: we're the best drinkers, and two: the maritime population is far too small to represent all of Canada.

18. Frost

Frost Active Member

Want a bet? :p

19. crs

crs Active Member

From one common wealth country to another: Yes