Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Is there really such a thing as an EX weed farmer? Isn't it like riding a bike?

2. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I
    Nope. I used to live 20 miles from town on 20 acres That Grew nothing but weeds.

EFMingo likes this.
  3. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Ah, literal weeds, like a rock farmer i get it thought it meant something else

4. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

and who the heck is thumpers mother?

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Thumpers mother said "if you cain say nuttin nice, don't say nuttin"... my fellow mod @jannert quotes her sometimes... its not a bad guideline

jannert likes this.
  6. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

moose isn't bullying you. He's just being realistic. A lot of writers come on the forum having finished their first novel, and are understandably excited - but unfortunately, the reality is, for most people, the first few novels will get rejected by agents and publishers. It's best to temper expectations now rather than for someone to get so down about rejection that they give up writing all together. I've abandoned several novels after tens of thousands of words - I got 50,000 words into my first one and thought - nah, this ain't going to work. Looking back on it now, it was a huge steaming pile of bovine excrement.

As for me, I now mostly write short stories - horror, fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction. I'm also an amateur historian, so I know a little about the Roman Republic/Empire, but my main areas of interest are Japanese history, Victorian colonial wars and 20th century history.

jannert likes this.
  7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

OK, who the heck was Thumper?

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

index.jpeg

9. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Holy Moly Naomasa I just read Charge of the heavy brigade and it is impressive. I loved it you have a real talent sir.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  10. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

What the heck is flash fiction?

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

In general, it's fiction that is shorter than the usual 'short story.' There is some discrepancy in how long a piece of 'flash' fiction should be. Here on the forum, our contest requires that the pieces be no longer than 500 words.

Here's a link to that part of the forum, and to one of the current contest intros. Should give you an idea.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/flash-fiction-contest-81-theme-business-idea.166318/

12. Delphine the Delphox

Delphine the Delphox Member

I'm a lesbian in my late 20s. I don't have a particular genre. I mainly write what comes to mind. That said, I still have a lot to learn, which is why I'm hoping this website can help.

jannert and Rzero like this.
  13. ThursdaysChild

ThursdaysChild New Member

Hello, everyone! I’m a 26 year old wife and mother of four children. I’m a Christian, a conservative, and an unashamed Trump supporter.
    I’ve thought in stories for most of my life. I’d always have some story swirling through my head while I did my schoolwork and chores as a kid. When I was in my late teens I got brave enough to start trying to write them down. Most of them were pathetic and I’ve since discarded all but one I started then. Secrets in the Dark is the one I’m currently working on. I started it after I got married and it’s going the best of any I’ve tried to write. It’s genre is children’s and it’s a mystery. Instead of being about people, all the characters are animals. I love sitting down to work on it, but the danger is I tend to forget everything else I’m supposed to be doing so I don’t work on it a lot. But it’s up to 10K+ words and I’m in the fifth chapter and I like how it’s turning out.

Anyway, that’s me.

Urocyon and Rzero like this.
  14. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

I'm with you Thursday! Since I've been at this a few days before you, it makes me an authority on all thing Word Forum and allows me to hand out advice with impunity (Sarcasm). I don't put political bumper stickers on my car because I like my tires to hold air and I don't like Texas pin stripe (key scratches). Your opener shows bravery and helps everyone know where your coming from. I'm afraid too many people without the ability to think critically or for themselves have melded with the machine. They can usually be spotted by the glassy eyed, hate filled expression and the trembling that over takes them when you politely disagree. That being said, by taking a political stance on this forum your opening yourself to spitting venom and unbridled hate from those who plug themselves into the MSM. You might be allowing those to hurt you with bias critique without even reading your work. Stepping down from the soap box I say welcome, we're both looking for some kind affirmation in our hobby with one eye on becoming the next Hemmingway. I've got notebooks full of drivel as a kid as well, an overactive imagination with atrocious spelling and now we're here together. My kids are grown except for number four and that's allowed me to return from the grindstone to the notebook just like you. Mrs. Child, when we earn the right to post, I promise to give an honest open minded assessment of your work. Best of luck hope to see you around, Ned.
    Anecdotally, I did some service work in the D.C. area where it's become a fad to put signs in the yard that read, "Hate has no home here," in different languages. Without exception, those were the most disagreeable, hate filled, malcontents I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

ThursdaysChild likes this.
  15. ThursdaysChild

Thanks, Ned! I knew when I stated my support for President Trump I was opening myself up to the possibility of being on the receiving end of a lot of hate. I’ve been there before and for the same reason. The truth is I don’t really care. If people want to disagree with me, that’s fine. If people decide to insult me, then they have that freedom. If people are childish enough to let our political differences color their opinion of my writing, then that’s their problem as they’re the ones who have to live with themselves. I’m here to be honest and friendly and interact with other writers regardless of differences of opinion. Anyway, enough of that.
    It’ll be several years before my children are grown and gone as the oldest is not quite five. But I do manage to find time to squeeze in some writing now and then and my husband makes an excellent sounding board to bounce my ideas off (his firm opinion is that I’m going to write a bestseller:rolleyes:). To do that though, I’d have to actually finish this book. :)

16. big soft moose

If anyone insults you (or anyone) over political differences, let us know... they don't in fact have that freedom because we don't tolerate that shiz here. We do have a debate room (which you won't get into for a while i think its 90 days and 100 posts for access) where politics and such subjects can be discussed but even in there we expect people to be polite and respectful of differing beliefs.

Outwith the debate room you are more likely to get into discussion about the oxford comma or the passive voice, because as you rightly identify, this here board is for writing

ThursdaysChild and Kyle Phoenix like this.
  17. ThursdaysChild

Ok. Thanks. :) I doubt I’ll do much debating over the Oxford comma, though, as punctuation is not my strongpoint.

18. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

I'm a young man in my early thirties and I live in the U.K. I am not (yet) in the habit of writing fiction, but I do enjoy science fiction, alternate history and dystopia. I've only recently taken an interest in horror.

Larro and jannert like this.
  19. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Well that's one of the many items we are here for. Ask away if you have questions. Just I would advise taking a look in the resource section first. You'll find a lot of good stuff related to a lot for technical issues over in there if you're interested in improving. Otherwise, forum members always seem to enjoy giving their entire bank of change, so I'm sure you can find goo response. Happy writing and welcome!

I've recently started going back to this horror genre and I have to say I'm liking it quite a bit more than before. Started writing a few, but of the science fiction combined genre variety. There's a number of different styles of horror, but I seem to enjoy either the slow build with heavy emphasis on environment, or action survival variety. Never was a big fan of uber gross and torturous varieties though. I enjoy reading as much as writing too, and find those well read to be fairly decent when they try their hand at putting words on the page as well. Welcome!

ThursdaysChild and Kyle Phoenix like this.
  20. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Thanks very much. I have had basically no exposure to horror before this year. Then the surrealist nightmare we have come to know and love as 2020 started and suddenly it just felt "appropriate" to take an interest in the horror genre, if only for purely therapeutic purposes. I mean, who doesn't want to scream uncontrollably right now? :D

Best of luck to you honestly. I'm usually more interested in politics, but having spent years on online forums I've got tired of the abuse. I hope you enjoy your time here and find people who you can get along with whatever your beliefs. :)

jannert and ThursdaysChild like this.
  21. dawnlight

dawnlight New Member

I'm an adult (in body, at least), heterosexual, and primarily write fan fiction. My preferred genres otherwise are erotic romance (M/F, M/M, and MMF), fantasy, mystery, horror, and YA.

My favorite thing to talk about is story structure and outlining methods. Paradigms, formulas, beat sheets--I can't get enough of 'em.

You can expect to find me in the Plot Development and Genre forums. :superwink:

Larro, jannert and J.T. Woody like this.
  22. PaulaO

PaulaO New Member

I'm a lesbian crip and am mumblefive years old. I live in the US south. I have had 3 books published (one award and two finalists). All of my books (so far) have lesbian main characters. In that niche market, Romance is the bread and butter (which is sad but understandable). One of mine is Romance and the other two are SciFi. In progress are two more SF (as last 2 of 4 part series), another SF, a fantasy and a fantasy series. Those are the "active" ones.

Hm, what else non writing? Oh, I have two dogs, a Rottie mix (think dad was a Blue Heeler) and a Rottie who is my service dog. She's smart but insane. Huh, much like me. I've been with and still in love with the same woman for 30yrs. We were supposed to get married this summer but well, that didn't happen. We're aiming for next year at our 31st. Oh, we have two cats too but I'm not a cat person so I tend to forget they exist.

Back to writing. My 3 books were published by the same publisher. But they recently sold the business and I decided that was a good time to step out. I am now on my own and, to be honest, am loving it now that the horror of "what did I just do??" passed. I am re-releasing my books, one at a time, with new covers and some editing. The first is ready to go except for the ISBN. I've learned a lot from my editor and the person doing the formatting.

I reckon that's enough for now. Off to check out the rest of this place!

Rzero likes this.
  23. Mana_Kawena

Mana_Kawena Member

I'm a female writer interested primarily in unique characters and voice; one of the things I did for my Masters thesis (I went to school for Creative Writing and Editing with a goal of getting into publishing as an editor, which I have!) was challenge myself to try something new and write a novel from a male perspective, which I think was one of the greatest challenges and something I thoroughly enjoyed as well. Overall I love nature writing as well as fantasy, romanticism and poetry, though through my various editing work I have written in a wide range of genres. I just love language and learning about storytelling, and what makes a story "tick"!

Rzero likes this.
  24. Urocyon

Urocyon Member

Hello, I'm J. Borra, a 27 year-old male currently residing in a nice little Montana town of 98 people. I've a B.S. in Wildlife Biology and currently work for the USFS. Painting (yes, my little avatar character is a snippet from one of my own!), world building, carving and cooking are things I most enjoy doing. You may have noticed that "Writing" isn't up there. I'm not a writer, nor had I any ambition to be one; but plenty of people keep pestering me to put my stories to paper after seeing the worlds created in my artwork. Now the words just keep coming and I've found, much to my surprise, it's quite enjoyable...

Mana_Kawena, PaulaO and Rzero like this.
  25. MzSnowleopard

MzSnowleopard Member

I am a hetro woman who writes cross-genre stories. It's not enough for me to write just romance, there has to be some action / adventure, maybe some sci-fi or paranormal. I even tinker with the sub-genre of superhero.

My short stories however tend to stick with general family oriented fiction. There's only so much that can fit into 3,000 words.