Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Richard Anderson

Richard Anderson New Member

Hi. I'm a 40 year old guy from Mumbai, India who's decided to take up writing as a serious hobby. Dabbling with short stories and currently trying to put together a bunch of stories I can be proud of personally. I'm definitely looking forward to learning, interacting, and getting to know people around here.

P.S. I notice I signed up here some years ago but just cant remember doing it.

Richach, petra4 and Catriona Grace like this.
  2. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Hi and Welcome.

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome.

4. Luis Thompson

Luis Thompson Banned

Hello everyone. My name is Luis. I am 27 years old and I am an aspiring writer. From an early age, I understood that it was not enough for me to just read books or stories by other authors. I wanted to write my own stories. This is how it all began. I started to set aside a certain amount of time every day to improve my skill. In addition to writing stories, I also write for the EduBirdie website, which provides academic assistance to students who are struggling to complete their writing assignments. These two types of classes help me improve my writing skills in different directions every day.

petra4 and Catriona Grace like this.
  5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome, Luis. Sounds like you've got a system down- good for you!

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Be aware that we consider essay writing services to be cheating,not assistance... writing a paper for someone else to submit as their own work is not something we find acceptable. I've lost count of the number of essay writing people we have banned for using their membership to promote these services.

I don't wish to be unfriendly but i want to be honest with you from the get go... any links to edubirdie or promotion of their services (or of any other essay writing service) will lead to your account being permanently banned

7. Victoria Boones

Victoria Boones New Member

I am actually not a writer, but a wannabe writer. I'm a good story teller but a lousy writer. I hope I could get some good ideas maybe inspiration or just read some real good stories from real people. That's my favorite part - reading good stories and not mainstream.

EFMingo likes this.
  8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

The best writers I find tend to be the most consistent readers. Can't really write all that well unless you know what's out there and how it's done.

Welcome.

9. Victoria Boones

Victoria Boones New Member

Reading is my escape and reality is what I have a hard time writing about. A lot of the genres are not so easy to just write about. Hopefully I get something done.

And thank you.

EFMingo likes this.
  10. landrace

landrace New Member

well, baby baby baby, i go by the the alias of landrace, which is definitely not the name of my fursona. i'm a young furry, and i write just abut everything under the sun. i like fantasy, but my first piece was sci-fi. allmy stories have anthro-animals as characters, because it helps me get across their features and appearances better, and i also write stories based on videogames.

11. Stefanos L

Stefanos L New Member

Hello dear writers, I've been working on a history fiction, I've read thousands of theml!
    It's set in 1920, and I'm here for tips and to communicate with other writers, and share ideas and help.:wotwot:

12. Yurii

Yurii Member

Hello to every one,
    36 y.o.
    I am living in the beautiful city of Ukraine - Lviv.
    Writing books is not part of my work.
    I have started write books as a method of personal realization and the possibility to share with people my personal experience. My main goal to help people.
    My first book was about the main sense of life and how each of us can understand what is the sense of life (for different people sense will be different).
    My second book (which is the process of the post-reduction now) is about the connections between our emotions, feelings, and events in our lives. My second book was written during the period when I practically discovered these connections.
    At present moment I on the process of understanding how to create positive events using the right emotions and feelings (I am going to write my 3rd book about this)

Luis Thompson and Xoic like this.
  13. Yurii

Yurii Member

Nice to meet you, Naiyn
    What was the reason to start writing from your side?
    I think it's not money, as a small own business may give the possibility to earn ...

14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I'm interested in this. Is there a version in English? I hope you'll write in greater detail about it somewhere here on the message board. You can create a blog here and write in detail about whatever subject you're interested in. As an example here's my blog. I hope you create one.

Of course the main reason people love stories (including movies and TV shows) is because we develop a strong emotional connection with the main character (and others) and they take us through a powerful emotional arc as they struggle to overcome their problems.

I've seen you mention philosophy. When you talk about a sense of life, is that a philosophical thing? I've heard of something similar.

Yurii likes this.
  15. Yurii

Yurii Member

All my books are in English.

According to the rules, I cannot share links for the page where my book is possible to buy during the first 90 days after the registration. So, you will be able to read the book just after 88 days ;)

But I am going to write in detail about the idea of the book on this forum. It will be great to have some lively discussion about this topic.

About a sense of life. I am talking really about the sense of life, taking into account as philosophical as practical ways. For me, for you, for each of us, the sense of life will depend on a lot of factors (upbringing, the standard of living, in what conditions we live, what is our environment ....), but the way of understanding the sense of life is quite similar for everyone.

Xoic likes this.
  16. Mr magician

Mr magician Member

I write in Chinese, the theme is fantasy and science fiction. I'm still in the difficult stage at the beginning, and I hope to surpass it.

Richach and Yurii like this.
  17. Sergio Apodaca

Sergio Apodaca New Member

Hello, my name is Sergio Apodaca, I used to pencil comic book pages for writers but recently I decided I wanted to make my own stories, and well, I never tried before because English is not my first language, but, I just decided I wanted to make my own stories anyway. I know my writing is not perfect, I am not writing novels, what I am writing is like a script that I am going to follow as I make my comic book pages. I am planning my first graphic novel and I would like to post at least the first few chapters for people here to check and maybe tell me if what I am coming up with is intereting or not. With artwork you can always just show your stuff to people and they'll easily like it or not but writing a story is so much more complicated. I am enjoying writing so much, I never thought it was so much fun it totally beats just drawing in my opinion in fact if I could I'd just hire a penciler. I need to make sure my stories are at least okay though before I draw any pages for a pitch or proposal. THANK YOU!! That foto of me is so old and dumb lol I don't know how it got there haha.

Yurii likes this.
  18. Yurii

Yurii Member

Very nice!
    I am sure that you will succeed!
    Just imagine the feeling when you will finish your writing...
    This feeling will help you to succeed in your way

19. Yurii

Yurii Member

Wow!
    Great!
    Please post few chapters.
    I will be happy to read and give my feedback.
    You know, I also am writing in English, but my native language is Ukrainian :)

20. Cutwir3

Cutwir3 New Member

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams
    A beginner writer and professional artist, working hard to create characters and stories in hopes to connect these two artistic disciplines together. I don't know any writers so I decided to join. My work can be found on https://www.instagram.com/cutwir3/

Attached Files:

• nn.PNG
      nn.PNG
      File size:
      997 KB
      Views:
    • nnnn.PNG
      nnnn.PNG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Night Herald likes this.
  21. Yurii

Yurii Member

Interesting pictures,
    And what about writing - what exactly are you writing about?

22. Yurii

Yurii Member

Dear Xoic,
    please have a look at my post https://www.writingforums.org/threads/part-of-my-book-for-you-feedbacks.170162/
    here I shared a small part of my book

23. Cutwir3

Cutwir3 New Member

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams
    I'm writing a cyberpunk story but my I'm having trouble creating vivid descriptions of the scene and how characters negotiate with each other to achieve a goal of mutual interest.

Yurii likes this.
  24. Yurii

Yurii Member

Sorry colleagues,
    I was posted the small part of my book in the not right section of the forum (for the next time, it will be good to read rules before doing that :) )
    I will repost this in the workshop, but I need to meet the requirements of the workshop first (2 Constructive Critiques from my side must be posted before my post)
    As Constructive Critiques is not just comments - it will take some time from my side (I need to do this in good order).
    I will inform you additionally when a new post will be published

Xoic likes this.
  25. Yurii

Yurii Member

Ok.
    Perhaps, as a solution to the problem, you can read how others writers are describing scenes, reread several authors, and take some ideas for yourself.

Cutwir3 likes this.