Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome, PD Blake. I am so sorry to hear about the tragedies in your life, and hope writing and the company here can bring you at least a little solace.

2. little miss impatient

little miss impatient Banned

Thanks. The writing certainly takes your mind off things for a while. Time's great, but it doesn't heal like people reckon it does. Still, life is often more bright than dark these days. Thankfully I still have two kids left, so plenty of sunshine still. My eldest has just got married too.

If anyone needs to ask about mental health (or my flavour of it), feel free. It's all grist for the mill :)

Some Guy and Catriona Grace like this.
  3. ClevaPennywyze

ClevaPennywyze New Member

Currently Reading::
    Nothing
    I am ClevaPennywyze, and I write fantasy fiction. I'm currently working on the second book in the saga I'm writing.

4. Serita

Serita New Member

Hi, I'm Renee and go by the pen name Serita. I'm a 25 year old woman from Texas originally but now living in the UK.

Shortly after moving to the UK I was hit by a firework thanks to drunks so now the left side of my face is black and red and I'm blind in my left eye - I look horrific. This led to a lot of bullying at school, so I started doing a lot of reading and writing and lost myself in both. They became my passion and I'm still crazy about them now hence I have joined here.

Writing is my world. I love creating worlds and characters. I love making the impossible happen in my books. Mostly I write children's adventure books but am also a huge fan of sci-fi and horror and write that a lot as well.

Anyway I'm rambling now (sorry!) So I'll leave it here.

Nice to meet you!

5. little miss impatient

little miss impatient Banned

Nice to meet you. I'm in the UK too.

Serita likes this.
  6. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Serita.

Serita likes this.
  7. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

This happened to my dad in a way, but instead he had a pistol blow up in his face. Lost an eye and then some. I think I understand some of what you go through. He had a lot of trouble with it to start on the emotional side, he just didn't want to admit it to anyone. I'm glad you were able to find a passion in reading and writing like many of us here have. Our community has all kinds of people from any walk of life.

Can't say I'm a children's book writer, but I definitely enjoy reading and writing the other two!

Welcome! And don't worry about rambling. You'll see. We all ramble on and on. It comes with the hobby.

Serita likes this.
  8. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

Hello! I'm 23 years old and am non-binary. I haven't published anything yet, but I tend to write more fantasy with a splash of realistic fiction. The book manuscript I just wrote is a mix of fantasy and speculative fiction (putting my geography degree to good use). My characters fall in a bunch of different places on the gender spectrum, but my main characters tend to be non-binary. In a short story and novella I wrote, the narrator remains unnamed and ungendered for the entirety of the stories. And of course I write analytical essays for the podcast as well.

Serita and evild4ve like this.
  9. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Det Del Dragon.

Det Del Dragons and Serita like this.
  10. Serita

Serita New Member

Hi, thank you for the welcome and for letting me ramble. You'll probably regret letting me ramble lol.

Ooh, I am so sorry to hear that happened to your dad. I'm sure it's an experience he's never forgotten. I'm sorry this happened and I really hope he is doing well now.
    I understand the emotional effects, it's really crushing. Mental effects have been hard as well. But life goes on and you've got to try and make the most of it. That's what I try to do. It isn't always easy, but I've got my writing and that helps me a lot.

Much love to you and your dad. X

And thank you again for the welcome!

X

EFMingo likes this.
  11. Serita

Serita New Member

Welcome in Det Del Dragon. I hope you enjoy your time here x

Det Del Dragons likes this.
  12. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

Thanks! This seems like such a cool community. :)

Serita likes this.
  13. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

Thanks! Excited to be here!

14. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

It's been a while since I last posted in this forum. I usually do historical fiction, alternate history, or fantasy. I'm particularly fond of African and other non-European cultural settings as well as dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures.

Serita likes this.
  15. R. J. Dawson

R. J. Dawson New Member

Hi, I'm an unpublished author, I write whatever my imagination comes up with. I currently have 3 on the go, a scifi fantasy, futuristic noir and a romance/erotica. The romance is the one I'm currently working on.

I'm really trying to focus on my writing this year and thought a forum is a good place to get involved.

Excited for my journey.

16. Catriona Grace

Welcome, RJ.

R. J. Dawson likes this.
  17. Luanne Williams

Luanne Williams Member

Your experience seems to have strengthened your imagination and your creativity. I look forward to seeing some of your work!

18. Luanne Williams

Luanne Williams Member

Nice to meet you Vince. Your interests should very diverse. I look forward to seeing you in the poetry workshop.

19. AlyceOfLegend

AlyceOfLegend Senior Member Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    Fanfiction- Stranger Things, Supernatural
    Hello, I write fanfiction for Supernatural but I add other characters from movies and TV shows into my stories. None of what I write is even remotely canon. Basically I use the names and a bit of each background and write original stories. I could choose different names and it wouldn't change anything about the stories. Yet I still call it fanfiction because I am too afraid to call it original works.

B.E. Nugent and Lawless like this.
  20. jwalters

jwalters New Member

I am an 80-year-old man with a 'live and let live' philosophy in life. My only prayer for the idiocy I see surrounding me is that everybody would learn to relax and enjoy this life we have been given. I walk the lone trail when it comes to politics, religion, and all the other stuff people use as a crutch to either ease their pain or make themselves feel morally important. I believe that 'us vs them' has become an addiction in this country and that NOBODY really knows their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to the real world. My wife and I have a small self-built compound in S. Ohio surrounded by forest, fauna, critters of all kinds, and very few neighbors.

I write nonfiction from my many experiences that often sound like fiction but ain't. My about page reads:
    Been an airborne soldier…Been a hippie . . . Been an Alaskan fisherman and off-season bush rat . . . Been a carpenter/home builder/ guitar maker.
    Am a husband . . . a painter . . . a writer . . . typewriter restorer . . . a Taoist who lost the Way . . . Looking, but still haven’t found what I’m looking for and hope I never do.

I write Robert Service-style poetry and short stories that try to sound as if I'm sitting in a bar BSing with a table full of buddies. I've written three pretty heavy books that I give away to my six kids or interested friends. I don't want to taint my enjoyment with the search for gold so I don't bother with the business aspect of writing.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  21. Catriona Grace

Welcome, jwalters. Pleased to meecha.

22. jwalters

jwalters New Member

hello Catriona . . . please to meet you back (handshake)

23. RShraiber

RShraiber New Member

Hi All,
    thanks for having me.
    I am writing since four years.
    I am a native German speaker but I write exclusively in English.
    So far I have written (and abandoned) a 90+K-Family Saga in set in the Napoleonic wars.
    I have published a bit more than ten short stories, won second place on the last summer writing contest of an e-magazine.
    The last short story was paranormal fiction and I got hooked (it's so much fun) with a dash of romance and that is what I am currently writing. I am extending that short story into a novella at the moment.
    I struggle like everybody, make mistakes like everybody - I am grateful for constructive feedback and strive to give the same in beta-exchanges.

petra4 and AlyceOfLegend like this.
  24. marfran

marfran New Member

Hello all,
    I am a 25-year-old from the U.S. I work as an RN and am also in graduate school but I'm otherwise finding myself to be in a bit of a rut. I've never written creatively before but I find myself attracted to the idea as I am an avid reader. I'm hoping this site helps me find a passion and further helps me find a writing niche. Until then, I look forward to being inspired by you all.
    Cheers.

25. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Marfran.

Laura Gallegos likes this.