Who are you in your crew?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Number 7

Number 7 Member

THREAD. REVIVAL!

I got three types of personality I guess.

When I went to highschool, in philosophy class I was almost like a god. When I spoke aloud in a classroom setting, no one argues with me, even if I'm reiterating a point someone else made that they argued to. Its probably because when people sometimes do try to prod their point into what I said, I offer a combination of the two opinions that satisfys them.

In Public, I'm the watcher. Not like, watch people, but just everything. I get lost in focus whenever I'm outside just sitting there. When ever I'm performing an action such as writing or reading or even just staring at the whistling grass or leaves, I block everything out, even my girlfriend.
    Its a sort of habbit that I hate, but at the same time, as long as my head stops thinking its a wonderful feeling.

And lastly: Personally, in my group of friends and even around my family, I'm the wild-card. Everyone thinks they know all of me, but they know only what I allow them to know. Even the people I love and care for can't be trusted with some of my very personal feelings, though I do have two people in my life who I do trust these feelings to, who I've known for 6 years of my life.

2. SimpleReason

SimpleReason Member

I'm sadly usually labelled as the pervert since most of the things I say can be misunderstood as such. But besides that, some people also say I'm sarcastic for my own good. I don't even do it on purpose.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The ghost. Apparently I'm not around enough. :p

At work (aka Lab) The overly enthusiastic one.

Edit - Call me the necromancer! o_O

4. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

My crew of friends - I'm the strong one. I'm quieter than all my friends, but I've also gone through harder things, so my psychological makeup is different. My friends are the ones who like to know what I think of stuff that matters to them, and often allow me to talk them into or out of things.

My crew at work - I'm the quiet one. I'm really more introverted than I'm quiet, but quiet is what people often instantly describe me as. I'm the one that often has something planned when everyone else is going to the pub, and the thing in question is usually a quiet evening doing something creative at home.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Shenanigator likes this.
  5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

My crew of friends:

"The Supporter / Adviser"

I'm the one my friends can tell anything to without fear of judgment, who they know they can come to day or night (and often do). My guy friends know they can even cry in front of me and I won't think anything of it. I'm the friend who will sit up late, listening . My friends know they can trust me, and that whatever they tell me stays in the Vault. When we go out and my sober friends feel a little shaky, I'm the one who orders club soda with them so they don't feel alone.

ETA: In her response to this thread, @Trish said, "You don't ask me a question unless you're sure you want the answer. I don't sugar coat anything, for anyone". Yep. That too.

My crew at work:

I'm often "The Adviser" but having several different crews, I have other roles, too. Sometimes I'm "The Leader", sometimes I'm "The Crisis Manager", and sometimes I'm "The Helper."

Moon likes this.
  6. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Friends:

It depends. My primary function may be Jack of Some Trades. I have several discrete "crews"; the Old Guard as a whole is pretty much scattered to the four corners.

I'm the Quiet One, always, but not really that quiet. All is relative. It's more that I'm Mr. Speaks When Spoken To. I'm often cast in the role of Mediator/Voice of Reason/Switzerland, as I refuse to take sides if there's a schism. I'm the designated Guy to Ask About What Words Mean.

Work:

New Guy and Token Hillbilly.

Shenanigator, T_L_K and Moon like this.
  7. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

I'm the class clown... always.

Carly Berg likes this.
  8. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Early teens - I was the crazy chick who never turned down a drink, a pill, or a pipe. Drank a 5th of Jack a day.

Mid teens - had pulled myself out of that other shit and became the mama of the group (though I was the youngest). I made sure no one drove drunk, no one died of alcohol poisoning, and no one od'd. I was the one everyone called with any problem, any time of day or night. I was excellent at reasoning with unreasonable people and 99% of the time could find something for anyone to believe in so they wouldn't do whatever stupid thing with permanent consequences they were about to do. Never backed down from any fight - ever.

Late teens and adulthood- my mama tendency made me leave all of them behind when I had my son. No drugs and shit around my kid, period. I'm known as the loner and the mama bear. I keep to myself, but you can call me with any problem. I'm the person that has your back, but who will also tell you when you're being an asshole or fucking up. You don't ask me a question unless you're sure you want the answer. I don't sugar coat anything, for anyone. The nicknames I have are "mama bear" and "human google" because I usually know the answer.

Shenanigator and Moon like this.
  9. Trish

Curious. Do you think you would be one of the ones who got a surprise?

Shenanigator and Spencer1990 like this.
  10. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

We'd all be surprised if you had a large enough sampling. Perception is funny that way.

Carly Berg and Trish like this.
  11. Trish

I agree enrirely. Just was curious. I think a large portion of people who know me would say I'm a heartless bitch, and they wouldn't be wrong. There are some people I absolutely am a heartless bitch to, and I'm not sorry.

Shenanigator and Spencer1990 like this.
  12. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I've said this before, so I apologize if anyone is getting tired of it, but this is exactly why I love fiction, especially literary fiction. Writing it, I get to explore how this happens, how we can so incredibly cruel to one person (for whatever reason, warranted or not), and treat another person like their shit smells of lilac and roses.

Shenanigator and Trish like this.
  13. Trish

Me too. I give people chances, but I have limits. For me, that's mostly why. Of course there are also people who don't get those chances because there are some behaviors I simply do not tolerate in my life anymore.

Shenanigator likes this.
  14. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Lone wolf outside of work

At work, sarcastic cynic that gets the job done. Also, a bit of a lone wolf. I'm the guy the managers are afraid to approach (I have had sit-downs where I have been told by HR that people are afraid to approach me, to which I simply reply: Why? and it is not like I have this intimidating physical look. I'm not bulky or muscular; just average height. Quite the weird thing. I suppose they must know I'm not from earth)

Some Guy, T_L_K and Shenanigator like this.
  15. Shenanigator

It would also depend on how each person answered the question.

If someone included their online friends as part of their "crew" that might net one result.

But if someone else only counted their closest In Real Life friends as their "crew", as I did, they'd likely have a different answer.

Example: In my real life, I'm the one who everyone comes to to solve their shit. But I also don't often show some of them my "weaker" side, because I met most of them years before I started being real about stuff, and it's just not how our roles work in our relationships. IRL, I wear a really tough shell.

But I need relief from taking on their stuff, and it's hard to write soft characters while wearing that shell, so here, I post deep shit that very few people in my real life even know. But here, I can't say the venomous stuff I normally would say when someone pisses me off, because it would get me banned. So neither group has the complete picture.

For other people, it may be the opposite, and their closest friends know them better than people online.

This ^^^...but with far fewer chances, I'm sure. In the past I was far too trusting a person.

Trish likes this.
  16. Shenanigator

Me too. There's a lot we can't say here, and probably don't, because we'd get banned! That's certainly true for me. An ex put it very well when he said I'm like a tame lion. It takes a lot, but when pushed too far, I attack full-on. (ETA: Fortunately he liked lions.)

edited out a dupe word

Trish likes this.
  17. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

This thread is nuts to me because I have no idea who I have ever been in the context of any social circle I've been a part of. Ya'll all have leagues more social awareness than I've ever dreamt of having.

I do know that when I was a teenager, I was the purportedly violent weirdo who gave off school shooter vibes, and one time by then-best friend asked me, completely sincerely, if I hated her. Oh, and my then-girlfriend, who I moderated an rp board with, told me that she was always relieved that I had no problem being the bad cop when it came to settling and making decisions about forum disputes. I never saw myself as the bad guy, but I guess if the shoe fits ...

I actively try to have a more pleasant affect these days. I used to get called a sociopath a lot. Not sure what I get called now.

Dragon Turtle and Shenanigator like this.
  18. Shenanigator

LOL--I had to think about it for a couple of weeks, because I have many different roles with different friends. I wrote mine after coming home from a long conversation with a friend who's going through a rough time.

As to what you get called...I would call you a kind person, @izzybot . And I mean that in the very best of ways.

Dragon Turtle and izzybot like this.
  19. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

Agreed!!

With acquaintances and coworkers, I apparently come off as aloof and bookish. I blame social anxiety. With my friends, I'm the chatty, animated, overly dramatic one. The one piece that stays consistent in different circles is that I'm known for my sense of humor. That must be the core part of my personality. :p

Some Guy, izzybot and Shenanigator like this.
  20. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

WF thread jumping black worm-hole to the problem page of 2028

'Guys, her avatar was delicious, and I was drunk on oxygen. We hooked up in hypertext, I feel so terrible.

But, by God, making love to that pussycat rhino porpoise eco-blend was better than any liquid ham-sexed into any fist [an old school memory] or into my five faces.

Her blow-hole at sea, the way she drop-kicked me through those clouds, and now sitting back in this shipping container - all I think about are her balls of fire - dipped one by one into my rib cage. I never knew a woman could do that.

As for real-life friends, you say? There's the post-bot, does he count?

I checked out her Ass-book. She lives in an old people's home. Should I continue the relationship. Am I breaking geriatric guidelines?

Some Guy and Carly Berg like this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You might be in the wrong thread.

Or maybe not, that ambiguity is what I love :)

Shenanigator likes this.
  22. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I love you too @Iain - I think I said in my PM - get rid of her - and camp in my garden. It's an opportunity.

I couldn't think of anybody in my crew :(..

Naturally, I had crews before. My original crew ditched me when I met my wife. It's been hell since but we love it.

Then I had the '*****' where I had a 1000 'friends,' but I left, umm, in scandal and have been scraping by ever since. I start my new job tomorrow, working with the public so they'll be my friends.

I was thinking about 'internet friends' - hence the scrawl above, something poss @carly said, and thinking how 'normal' internet friendship is becoming. A decade ago we walked past a house window and a couple faced each other over laptops across the dining table. We gawped at these freaks, and now today I sleep with my telephone, although the pictures are rather too small for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  23. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

I met most of my "real life" friends, including my husband, online. I was actually concerned for a while about my seeming lack of ability to make friends face-to-face, but then I finally managed some in grad school. :bigconfused:

Shenanigator likes this.
  24. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I am duality. I can and will talk to anybody in a crowd or group, and BS with the best of 'em. Then I'm exhausted for days. I'm the one who walks out of the same crowd the next time, too overwhelmed. I can sit and listen to someone pouring out their soul, without judging. Then the next day, I don't even want to see any humans.

I no longer have the temperament for the workplace, but when I worked in IT, I was the fireman. I put out flaming computers, and flaming clients. I was the goto for the stuff no one could fix, so I did a lot of 'training'. I was psych-counselor for those who lost loved computers. I had to bring back the dead often. PCs suddenly started working when I entered the room because they knew I'd rip their guts out.

I'm obsessively in deep thought, these days, in self-imposed exile. I still love irony, and I still BS a lot.
    I am a veritable font of useless knowledge!

Shenanigator likes this.
  25. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Quwerrrack??