Who do you write fantasy or sci-fi?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Carthonn, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

Well, I do cause it is nice escapism.

2. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Yes that fear of failure and criticism is what's causing me to speculate on what I'm doing. The thing that keeps bringing me back is I find my idea for this story so damn interesting.

I was reading the Wiki article on deus ex machina the other day and suspect that may have been the catalyst.

3. Talmay

Talmay Member

Then write for your enjoyment only. Don't share until you believe it's as good as it'll ever be, if you have to at all. Most early writing never sees the light of day, anyway.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Symbolically, I love to write fantasy. I can cloak real truths under a seemingly
    pulpy story. 'Real' literature has a harder time of that - everyone knows there's a
    deeper meaning involved.

5. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

I write science fiction because it's the genre I enjoy reading and thinking about. I value scientific plausibility so I do spend a fair amount of time researching things to convince myself that my fictional world is at least semi-realistic.

For example my work in progress takes place on a tidally locked planet orbiting an M class red dwarf. There is considerable debate in the exoplanet community about the potential habitability of such worlds. In fact there seems to be a rising consensus that they are probably not habitable. However, I did run into a paper published a few years ago where the authors did some computer simulations of atmospheric dynamics suggesting that the question may be more complex than it at first appears. I latched on to the results of that paper and modeled my fictional planet after it. The scenario worked for my story and it is at least consistent with some views of reality so even if it eventually proves to be wrong, I'm satisfied that I've done my homework. In the process I've learned a lot about exoplanets and red dwarfs in particular. Nothing wrong with that!

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Google "Asimov On Science fiction."

"Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition."