Who Here Lost Work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by A.M.P., May 9, 2016.

1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Yeah, I'll wait till I finish the draft before worrying too much about it.
    Right now, I gotta figure out some small details for the next few chapters.

2. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

I was doing a school project with someone a couple of weeks ago and they decided not to help on the month-long assignment until the hour before it was due. I had saved the finished project somewhere else beforehand and proceeded to delete the copy the guy was working on. I blamed it on him, and he thought he was responsible for the deletion. He panicked thinking for the next two weeks he'd failed the class. The project was graded as a 97 just now. Unfortunately, he dropped the class yesterday before the grades were entered and that will be forever on his transcript. That last part didn't really happen. He stayed in the class and got the 97 too. The whole thing was a fun experience...for me. Not so much for him.

But yeah, I don't know. Losing work is hard to do as long as you save it to multiple places. Last time I lost something digital was when someone released my pokemon in third grade.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You can get an external drive that plugs into your computer via a USB. Man those cables can connect everything to your puter. And many things that aren't even for you computer can be plugged in as well. :supergrin:

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I lost extensive work on a hospital policy I was consulting on. I went out and bought some recovery software and got most of it back.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Eww :p

That'd be worse than losing a first draft!

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Oh give me a break. Your only 4 years younger than I, you must have played in DOS as a child. What do you mean eww? I was talking about all the useless crap like candle warmers and random doo-dads that you can plug into your computer. No where did I say go out to the freaking Castle and get big 12 and plug her in.:supergrin:Unless that is your cup of tea. Just saying that USB's are used for a lot of non computer related appliances. (And yes the Castle thing is a joke) :superlaugh:

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yeah but I got enough of it back it wasn't that bad.

8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I used to lose work on a regular basis. Now I have a USB drive that I keep in my pocket at all times. I just have to make sure, if ever there's a fire and I have to leave the house, that I take time to put on my pants.

9. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

I have had that almost happen one too many times for me NOT to have like 4 different versions of it.

but somehow I havent yet learnt that with my uni work, because THREE HOURS from deadline, I lose (deleted) a major section of my work and had to speed type the whole damned thing back into it (and it was all code too, which was the worst part)

10. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

During my senior year in high school, I had worked on this fantasy novel from December to May. In six months, I was nearly done with the work, and I would have continued it until I was due to edit it. But shortly after one of many moves, it disappeared shortly after I had situated myself in my new bedroom. To this day, I don't know how it happened, but I strongly suspect that one of my "roomies" stole the binder that I had stored the printed pages in, simply because she was a thieving... bee.
    I had lost my mind, and could barely write anything anymore after that. It was only the December of 2008, a year later, that I managed to write something new, but I was still suffering from the loss of that manuscript, so I was writing a directionless story intended to be a comedic fantasy... but after I had the mentor character lose his temper and hack off the arm of the main character, I had declared that the story irreversibly lost its comedic drive, and I stopped working on that.

Hence my magical girl story from six to seven years back, that I had recently resumed.

And wouldn't you know it? I was reunited with the manuscript Thanksgiving 2011, because the thief's mother had found it in her garage, safe and sound.
    It's still in my possession, but I no longer have the drive to resume it in any way, so it's just in that binder, collecting dust. That was a dark period in my writing life, and I still haven't recovered from its disappearance.