1. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Who in the hell names their cat, Achilles?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Sparrow, Jun 12, 2018.

I'll tell you who, ME!
    One of the protagonists in my WIP, Rosemarie... has a charcoal grey cat that I thought I'd given a rather unique name, that being, Achilles. There's some backstory to the WIP that makes mention of a play, The Lion Tamer's Daughter that had gone horribly awry on opening night one month prior; when the Lion got loose and terrified the audience before bolting out the theatre and running rampant on Paris streets, eventually curling up under a statue and falling asleep... then being shot and killed by an angry mob. The lion was old and toothless and wouldn't have harmed a mouse. Rosemarie was to blame for the lion's escape and it weighs heavy on her mind as the story begins on the eve of another opening night. The lion's name was Hector... so the cat in my story was appropriately named, Achilles. Very clever says I!

Not so clever as I'd wished, now that someone emailed me this... seems there's another cat named Achilles; white as snow and deaf as a bat... and has a penchant for prophesy. It just goes to show, there really isn't anything new under the sun. God damn it.