1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

UPDATE ON STOMA HOLE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Link the Writer, Jun 4, 2018.

UPDATE ON STOMA HOLE:

I just got home from the doctor to look at my hole left in place when my G-tube fell out on New Year’s. Five months later, it’s smaller but hasn’t closed.

Result?

So I’m probably gonna go in for surgery in a few weeks time, depending on scheduling. Apparently there’s scarring underneath the hole preventing it from closing. Thankfully the doctor is very pleasant, very confident, and he’s going to do his homework and figure stuff out before putting me under.

<deep breath>

Holy shit...

2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

You'll be fine, Link.

Are they going to put you to sleep?

3. Link the Writer

Yeah. The main issue is the intubation as the last time I tried, I got a cocky sort of anthesetic team who almost killed me trying to ram the thing down my throat. This current doctor said he’ll do his homework and get it right and that was his main worry — the hole he was all, “Oh, I’ll just do an incision here tuck this bit of stomach there...”

Moon likes this.
  4. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Sending you good vibes, Link! You'll be back in the ocean and swimming in no time, orca!

Link the Writer and Moon like this.
  5. Moon

Ah, that does sound like a bad previous experience. Sorry about that. :( If anything, I'd say to not worry right now about things that haven't come to pass. I know, sounds like I'm brushing aside anxiety -I'm not- but it doesn't serve you to work yourself up in the present about an unknown future.

So, relax, let the day come and go before worries set in or not. We're all sending you good vibes, and most likely, you'll be back on here with good news for us all, right? :D

Shenanigator and Link the Writer like this.
  6. Link the Writer

UPDATE: Just so the anesthesia people have a better understanding, they want me to go to my ear, nose, and throat doctor to have my throat scoped to see if there's any problem before they intubate me. Last time I tried doing this in another hospital, their anesthesia team nearly killed me trying to intubate me so my surgeon wants to make sure that never happens again. So I get to have a scope down my throat! :D

7. Link the Writer

UPDATE ON STOMA HOLE:

Just got back from scoping — mildly uncomfortable but quick and easy.

So I have an airway that’s stupidly small and thus difficult to intubate. My left nasal passage is basically very small, and my right is stupidly huge. I also have a big ass tongue that makes putting chords in my trachea hard. I do have face and mouth paralysis on the right side of my face. I also might have scarring near my voice box from the trach I got when I was little.

They also want to do a cat scan of my lower throat to check for any scarring in that area. In short, they want to get the full information for any possible surgery in the future (whether my hole closes or not) so intubation won’t be a “he almost died” thing like 12 years ago.

Sooo...there’s that! :D

8. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

That's great, Link! Not because you have those issues, but because you have a good medical team who's being thorough and taking good care of you.

[High fives @Link the Writer 's flipper]

Link the Writer likes this.
  9. Moon

Anymore updates? Hope everything went well.