1. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Sharing Writing Online

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by platerawriter, Apr 26, 2016.

Hey everyone, I've been contemplating back and forth joining a writing community like Wattpad or something to post some writing, however, I'm afraid about putting my work out there because I'm always worried it'll be stolen or plagiarized. I know people have been successful joining those communities and it has lead to them being recognized, but I'm just very reluctant.

My friend has been trying to encourage me to join a forum that is exclusive to fanfiction, just to get my feet wet, gauge the reactions people have to my writing, and do it with a little more comfort. I still don't know how I feel about that either though.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way for me to put myself out there because I am a person who tends to need a lot of feedback. Any advice?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It can happen. I know someone who has had their work stolen from a writing forum and published elsewhere. It's rare, though. Most writers don't lack for ideas - they're a dime a dozen, really. Most people aren't looking for other people's ideas to steal or other people's work to steal. The risk is there, but minimal, and I certainly wouldn't let it stop you from doing something you'd otherwise be doing to advance your writing.

platerawriter likes this.
  3. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

Well as I've been instructed on here, don't post your main idea or just post a small excerpt of it. If you have some stories lying around that you never plan pursuing (personally I don't), then just fix them up nice and let people comment.

If you're like me and only have stuff to share that you plan on publishing, just post the first chapter for feedback. There shouldn't be enough in the first chapter to steal your idea, if there is, then you're info dumping anyway.

4. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

The chances of being plagiarised, or of having someone use your idea, are so miniscule that if they bother you, you should probably never get in a car again.