Why all the teen hate?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Nov 6, 2013.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Look, this is going to be a very hard argument for either side to make, unless we can get some professional musicians or music theorists on board here. The best we can hope to do is to pick specific songs from our treasured decade, and compare lyrics by lyrics, vocals by vocals, and instrumental by instrumental, and try our hardest to leave tastes aside. For instance,if I say, this guy's vocal range is poor, you'd have to agree, no matter how much you like his voice.

There will always be exceptions, and so, things like, number of concerts per year, album sales, etc, can also come into play. Youtube clips of theatrics don't tell us enough.

2. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

I'm a big 30STM fan, but I rarely hear them on the radio anymore either. None of the songs on their new album has had any radio play as far as I know. Also, them and Linkin Park — though still considered rock — have gotten very electronic in their music. The last song I heard on mainstream radio and t.v. that was hard rock was "I will not bow" by Breaking Benjamin (my favorite rock band, followed closely by 30stm)

What do you want to know about the Illuminati 123456789? They are the ones that control the entertainment industry. All the pop icons sell their souls to the demon Rainman. Apparently Jay-Z is one of the biggest Illuminati leaders. THROW YOUR DIAMONDS UP! :p

123456789 likes this.
  3. 123456789

I like hipster-alternative-whatever shit as much as the next guy. Florence and the Machine, Arcade Fire, all kinds of cool stuff. And when we look at a lot of old bands that have some great music, like, let's say, the police, I'll be the first to admit the vocal quality is decent at best. However, I have to say, before the 90s, there were artists, solo and band, that just killed it. I will name them. U2. Bon Jovi. Bruce Springsteen. Rolling Stones. Led Zeppelin. Metallica. Prince. Queen, Guns and Roses. Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell. Fleetwood Mac. This is not an extensive list. These groups SHONE instrumentally, vocally, and also lyrically in most of the cases I listed. Then, we also have individual singers like Elvis, Sinatra, Whitney Houston, with incredible vocal power. I am ignorant of things like jazz, and music past the 60s, and WAC, it sounds like you're more familiar than I am, but I totally believe there's plenty to be found there too.

If people can name modern bands that are on on a lyrical, instrumental, and vocal equivalent as the ones listed above, and or name individuals who can match Elvis or Tina Turner vocally, please do so, I would be delighted to discover them, because it is very possible I am ignorant.

4. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

It says enough of his motivation, I'll tell you that much. I'm game with comparing popularity.

5. 123456789

Should I be putting 30 seconds to Mars to my scrutiny?

6. Dean Stride

Sure. Just so you know, I'm not a fan (of anyone but Simon O'Shine for that matter), but I will defend them as best as I can. If Hunter56 can lend a hand, that'll be great.

I'll reply tomorrow, though, 'cause it's inexcusably late for me, and I really need to hit the sack.

7. 123456789

If you're not a fan find somebody else, dude!

8. Dean Stride

Fine... *grumble* ... Armin van Buuren? Not a fan, either, but I've been following his work close enough to be deemed one.

Plus, I've been to both a summer and a winter event of his, and I've first hand experience.

9. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Until they get corporate money out of politics, crying "fair wage" at the corporate heads isn't going to do a damned bit of good.

10. 123456789

Well, he's a tricky case (I like him, by the way)

Instrumentally, we've got to keep an open mind. We're talking electronics, now, no more good ol banjos and brass. But that's OK. We're being open minded. Yes, I'd say his rhythms are pretty good, from what I've heard. Same with Tiesto, maybe even more so.

Lyrically: You tell me. Give me his best lyrics and we can go over it.

Vocally. He's a producer, but he has gotten some very good females to do vocals, like the girl from Within Temptation, so I could could give this a check mark.

But it's interesting you picked a music producer over a traditional band, probably shows the change in times.

Also, maybe we should add a fourth category, that being charm.

11. Dean Stride

I'll probably focus a bit more on Sophie Ellis-Bextor as a vocal, or Nadia Ali, as I'm more familiar with them, but I'll comment on others as well.

...Tomorrow. OK?

12. 123456789

See above. genre doesn't matter. Quality (as best us Joes can judge it) is what matters.

13. Dean Stride

Sorry, your comment arrived just as I made this other one.

14. 123456789

Works for me, man.

15. Dean Stride

OK, so, how are we gonna do this? Do we compare per-Intense Armin vs. Intense Armin or do we compare Armin to, say, Paul van Dyk? Or a more recent adversary, like Avicii?

Instrumental: I've only ever played piano, and that was a long time ago, so I won't comment on his mixing, sequencing, etc skills from an "academic" point of view, only from that of a listener. I'm going to back up my claims with album sales, hit singles and overall popularity, but first and foremost I need to know how and what we're going to compare.

Lyrics:

What I consider his best track with lyrics may not necessarily be the lyrics of the most popular one. Since we're ultimately comparing fame, and the fruits of fame, I'm going to have to say In and Out of Love (which is actually his most popular song). With Not Giving Up on Love and Feel so Good as second and third best respectively. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Sharon, so I will comment on the vocals only within the context of the track itself, and if it comes to it, on Sophie and Nadia's performances.

I'm ready to deconstruct this when you are:

In and Out of Love

(Copied from MetroLyrics)

See the mirror in your eyes
    See the truth behind the lies
    Your lies are haunting me

See the reason in your eyes
    Giving answer to the why
    Your eyes are haunting me

Huh
    Huh
    Huh
    Falling in and out of love
    In love, in love,
    Huh
    Your love, your love,
    Huh
    Your love, your love,
    Huh
    Your love

See the mirror in your eyes
    See the truth behind the lies
    Your lies are haunting me
    See the reason in your eyes
    Giving answer to the why
    Your eyes are haunting me

Huh
    In love, in love, in love
    Huh
    Your love, your love, your love
    Huh
    Huh

Why can't you see it
    Why can't you feel
    In and out of love each time
    Why can't you feel it
    Why can't you see it
    In and out of love

I keep keep running
    I keep keep falling
    Love is fade away

You keep keep running
    I keep keep falling
    Love is fade away

Keep keep running
    I keep keep falling
    Love is fade away

Huh
    Away, away, away,
    Away, let it fade away

Songwriters
    DE GOEIJ, BENNO / VAN BUUREN, ARMIN / DEN ADEL, SHARON

Published by
    Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group, CHRYSALIS MUSIC GROUP

Vocals:

I'm not gonna beat around the bush and will outright say that his best one so far has been Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

The reason I'm biased towards Sophie is because I've seen her live. Her take on Yes Sir, I Can Boogie simply left me with shivers. Also, Groovejet is one of her best vocal performances, albeit not an Armin project.

I honestly can't compare them (Sophie, Nadia, Sharon) on a technical level, because I'm not a singer and I'm terminologically challenged in that respect, but from what I've heard from all three of them, Sophie definitely takes the top - she knows how to not only go with the rhythm of a song, but also create a strong sense of presence with her undeniably unique voice. I can't say the same for Sharon or even Nadia, whom I can replace with different vocals and still get more or less the same song.

With Sophie herself an occasional DJ, she knows her stuff and knows better than the other vocals how to compose a genuine electronic dance song.

16. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Man I miss Pearl Jam at their best.

17. Dean Stride

Why? Analyzing popular music could bring some insight into the cultural differences between older and newer generations. At least, I like to think it will.

18. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Ah yes, ad hominem enters. So how long before you start calling me a geezer or some other slur?

I'll believe what you say happens when it happens. Sentiment against the Vietnam war didn't truly turn the country as a whole until US citizens started getting gunned down over it.

A revolution, any revolution, requires blood and none has been spilled yet.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  19. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

None of you have listed The Smiths as the greatest band in the world, or noted their vocal/lyrical/instrumental perfection. This is why I hate teens. THIS IS WHY. Mozzer would be so disappointed.

20. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    There's a good reason for that...

21. HarleyQ.

>_> What exactly are you implying?

22. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    If I told you that, I wouldn't be implying it, would I?

23. HarleyQ.

Touche, good sir. Touche.

digitig likes this.
  24. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I don't know who the Smith's are! No wait, I've heard of them in Eleanor and Park, but that's about it.

25. HarleyQ.

Go look up "There is a light that never goes out," or "Please, please, please, let me get what I want". Now. I'm standing by until that happens.