1. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

SUCKED IN

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Spencer1990, Jul 1, 2016.

Anyone else become so completely sucked into their own work, they can't seem to pull themselves away?

I need to let my first written novel sit for a while and I seem to be so obsessed with it that I can't step away. I'm having trouble focusing on everything else. Whenever my mind wanders from it, some thought occurs to me and I immediately go back and tend to the issue.

I'm sure other people have had the same thing happen. Any tips on how to step away? It's hard for me to even read a book lately--that's scary I LOVE reading.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I usually get wrapped up in another work. A short story, polishing a short story, working on cover art - for my self published stuff, or starting another novel. Even though it seems like nothing could ever pull my attention away from my work, I actually have the opposite problem. I can ditch a novel midway through for another idea and be just as consumed by that idea. A dangerous habit that has plagued me for decades and one I need to break.

Looking at artwork and different artstyles usually helps to trigger a new idea for a story.
    But sometimes I just take a break and do some black out poetry - less focused, or draw, or do a collage.

nastyjman likes this.
  3. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I agree with peachlulu. Work on the next story. A short story or two will help extricate yourself from your recent WIP. And this is good too. You don't want to obssess or be too dependent on one story. Like what they say in the investing world: "don't put all of your eggs in one basket."

peachalulu likes this.
  4. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

You guys are absolutely right. I need to change gears and focus on something entirely different. There are a few short stories I've wanted to finish, and some poems rolling around between my ears that could use some attention. diversity is the spice of life, right? :p

5. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

I'm the opposite. The more deeply immersed I am in my own work, the more I sort of become numb/jaded to the point where I get sick of it and need to switch to something else for a while. lol.