1. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Why did you pick Writing forums as your writing forum?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brigid, Apr 9, 2017.

There are lots of forums for writers out there.

Nosy as I am, I would like to know why you picked this one for your questions or to hang out.

Do you post also at other forums?

2. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Only this one really, occasionally critique circle.

I dislike sugar-coating, and people here are generally honest. I got a review from @BayView which mentioned she could not be bothered to read a piece I wrote; I immediately realised it was because i could not be bothered to write it, and discarded it. Good, harsh, honest feedback. Plus I seem to be allowed some leeway in my second favourite pastime of trolling.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    matwoolf, BayView and Apollypopping like this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

A number of reasons...

When I first started foruming, green and unknowing of the social dynamics of these types of venues, I tried several. This was 2008-ish.

- One that I frequented with regularity was in the midst of the kind of implosion that happens from time to time in these communities.
    - One was very Brits only; yanks may observe, but none of that horrible spelling you lot use, assuming you even know how to spell.
    - One was Murica, fuck yeah!
    - One was really just a venue for a little circle-jerk of long-standing members to stroke each other's egos and laugh at the "riffraff".

This forum was none of those things, so this is where I hung my hat.

Fernando.C, Brigid and Apollypopping like this.
  4. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

But muricans can't spell.

zoupskim likes this.
  5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Hmmm... there's something vaguely familiar about the "circle-jerk of long-standing members" description from @Wreybies...

I came to this board during one of my semi-annual bouts of frustration/disgust with the AW forums. I still spend some time there, and some of its subforums are fantastic, but overall I find myself more at home here. More chatty, less hierarchical. I wish we had more industry pros, but I guess the downside of a lot of pros is the power structure that seems to go along with them...

Tenderiser likes this.
  6. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

When I was younger I posted on a couple writing forums, but when I decided to check them out again, one seemed to only be active in the lounge/games subforum and the other was just an eyesore. Then I remembered this one, and it seemed to be pretty active and the layout didn't kill me. I tabbed out but I kept thinking about some of the threads I'd glanced over, and I had to come back and make an account. Frankly, I haven't found anywhere better.

Brigid and Apollypopping like this.
  7. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Cool: Good, harsh, honest feedback...
    Lol: About the trolling part...

8. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Thanks for your answer, Wreybies.

Interesting forum experiences. Can't blame you for not stayed at these other places. I wouldn't either.

9. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

AW, can't be Armored Warfare, right BayView?

I just came here recently. I have no idea about how many industry pros are here. With industry pros you mean published writers, I guess. What is the approx. percentage of the published writers here?

10. Joe King

Joe King Member

Easy to navigate. Lack of trolls. Really insightful.

11. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Thanks for your answer, izzybot. I like straight forward layouts too. After all, we are supposed to be writing not figuring how to get around on a website. Glad to hear that you made a good choice in regards with the forum.

12. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Hi Joe, three good reasons to be here. :)

13. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Some dude was like "Come RPG here", and "I was like 'okay"

KaTrian and Komposten like this.
  14. BayView

Armoured Warfare isn't completely inaccurate, but, no, I meant Absolute Write.

And I was thinking more of agents/editors/publishers when I said industry pros. There are lots of published writers over there too, but I'm reasonably well networked with writers on my own; it's the others that I like to keep an eye on!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  15. BayView

I wasn't quite that harsh! But... yay, still good to be useful!

ChaseTheSun likes this.
  16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

This and (http://www.writingforums.com/forum.php) are the only two writing forums I frequent. I used to be part of a lot more but... While none of them were either "You bloody stupid Yanks!" or "'Murica, fuck yeah!" as @Wreybies experienced (Are you sure you didn't accidentally land in the Historium forums, bud?), these two just sort of grew on me and before you know it... Here I am. :D

@BayView - Eh, you're more strict and no-nonsense with a slight pinch of harshness. :p

17. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

People are nice. No, I mean it, people are nice. Otherwise I'd be long gone.

18. Link the Writer

@Rosacrvx - Absolutely! That's why I've stuck around for so long. People here are generally nice, decent folks. It also helps that both forums also provide a way to just hang out and make friends if you're not in the writing gig.

19. Wreybies

No, defo writing forums. Other than writing, the only other forums I frequent are those for interpreters and translators, of which I was temporarily banned from one of the largest a while back. Seems I didn't show the proper "monastic temperament" that particular forum expects of those in the field. On the whole, interpreters and translators can be a very holier-than-thou bunch and egos range from large to brobdingnagian, but all share a certain diaphanous delicacy that does not invite encroachment.

20. Link the Writer

Oh yeah, the Historium (not a writing forum, I know) was very much 'Holier-Than-Thou'. Which is why I left and never looked back. Good riddance to that pile of filth.

21. Wreybies

Sadly, the dynamic I mention is part of my field of work rather than just its forum visage; hence, I am a one man show. Many translators work in teams because it creates a certain flexibility as regards being able to take on large projects. I weighed the pros and cons of that kind of work structure and decided a solo operation was better suited to me. It also lets me take on work that most "professional teams" decline because it skirts too close to what translators sneeringly refer to as desktop publishing. Creating forms, dealing with graphics-laden work, etc. Most translators will not take that kind of work. Silly, really, given that there is so much of it and so many translators bemoan their poverty.

22. Wreybies

There's cheeky and then there's trolling, poppet. Believe me, we'll let you know when the line has been crossed. :whistle:

23. Wreybies

Some dude? Beware the panel van, Kingtype. :ohno:

24. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

If I recall correctly I just wrote "creative writing forum" into Google and clicked on the top link. The place I ended up in (i.e. here) seemed to have both a pleasing design, layout and community, and the Workshop was just what I was looking for. I didn't register immediately, however, but instead waited a while (weeks? months?) before I felt confident enough to sign up.

Afterwards I've stumbled upon a couple of other writing forums, but none have looked as modern as WF.org (I tend to seriously dislike ancient-looking websites) or had as good of a community (based on hearsay, not experience).

xanadu likes this.
  25. Link the Writer

Oh yes, and I speak from experience. :brb: