Why do i need to write an outline?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by pretzelkarma, Jun 5, 2012.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I don't use outlines; I'd rather spend my time writing the actual story. I also edit/revise as I go so this massive rewrite when it's all over is non-existent for me. As others have said, there's no right or wrong way unless what you're doing isn't getting the story completed. Then it's the wrong way for you. If it works, it works. Nobody's ever going to know or care how you did it, only that you did.

2. Afion

Afion New Member

I would love to read that story! :p

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why not go ahead and write it?

4. Afion

Afion New Member

Good point :)

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Lol :D Why? That's so random!

Although I guess the idea of humorous monsters wandering around modern day England does sound rather interesting :p and for once I'd know the places! Well, mostly Nottingham cus I studied there, but Brum I've only visited twice.

Slots idea away on file... hehe

6. growingpains

growingpains New Member

I usually don't start really outlining until the second draft. Of course, you need a general idea of what you're going to write before you start writing - otherwise you'll hit wall after wall. But that general idea doesn't need to be outlined. I think outlines don't really help until after you edit and start in on the second draft. It's best to just get everything out and then organize the information.

Spoken as a former chronic outliner who felt the need to outline every little detail. I no longer do that.

7. Siena

Siena Senior Member

An outline isn't restricting at all.

The outline IS your story.

You section the story (say by chapter) and outline each section and make sure the whole thing flows from beginning to end in an interesting way. That way changes are easy, even big ones.

Sometimes you don't know how each section is going to turn out - will the outline stretch too far or it is too tight? so you start writing that chapter to see how it feels.

With an outline, you don't have to work with a 300 page draft, you work with chapter drafts.

It's the most effective way to write a compelling story, especially if you have to meet deadlines and you haven't got the time to wait for inspiration.

Now, if outlining makes you feel less creative then that's a different problem.

8. CleverBrunette

CleverBrunette New Member

For myself, I need the outline being if I don't use one, I don't know where I am going and that makes me feel uncomfortable in where I am headed, similarly if someone was going on a vacation without planning in advance for it. For outlining I use Excel therefore I just give a little detail on a chapter, enough for me to have a little bit to go by. Its very helpful for myself when going into the novel, so I have a guid to go by, knowing it can change if needed.

9. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Again - the most effective way for some. I've dealt with deadlines - like in school - and the idea of wasting time outlining when I could have just written the thing... ;)

10. r3dfoe

r3dfoe Member

I've never written down outlines for my stories. The series I am working on now is getting very vast and has a lot of details that sometimes I jot down notes of important details or even minor things to keep from forgetting.
    Now, the next series I plan on writing will have a basic outline and written sequence of events because its spread out over an extensive time period.

So, in conclusion, I feel the outlines can be beneficial but aren't crucial. They are just tools that help you to remember you're own sequence of events. Use it or don't, it's all up to you. :)

11. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I wrote an intensely detailed outline for my current project and the next week I had a new idea which didn't fit and I scraped it. Every time I've tried to do one I'd makes little changes while writing and eventually the outline would be unrecognisable.

My point is, I think it's a good idea to have a rough outline on paper but be aware that as ideas come and go so will aspects of the outline. Keep the overall outline in your mind and focus on knowing your world and your characters. When you do, your story will come. Now, I just keep notes for ideas I don't want to forget and I keep a written concise outline to keep me focused.

12. Boomstick10995

Boomstick10995 Member

I agree. I rough outline would work at best, because honestly you can't plan out your entire story. Every time I try that I always have to scrap the original because I think of something different or more fitting while I'm writing. So, create a base, foundation for your story and build from there.