Why do they always ...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by cutecat22, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Xueqin-II

Xueqin-II New Member

Actually, I felt that Jaws had a pretty decent system going. Stupid people did very stupid things, surely, but it made sense that these things were done. It helps that all of the shark scenes are magnificent. Unfortunately, the book does have some unneeded plot threads that were taken from the book, but they don't detract so much from the overall story. The characters are completely unlikable, however, and it has such a bad ending that I read the last page over three times to make sure I didn't have a copy with missing pages.

I have always liked the idea of an incredibly smart monster going after regular people. My interest in horror has always been with poltergeists; unfortunately, there has not been a good ghost book yet in my eyes. My idea of a good story would to be that of something you couldn't get away with, something psychological. The Shining had such potential.

cutecat22 likes this.
  2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Don't think he would watch that although, he did enjoy Woman in Black.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I've never seen the Little Shop of Horrors - I've seen odd clips and heard one song at least, and seen the really fake-looking man-eating flower. It's never appealed to me. What's so good about it??

What's wrong with Kong being a gorilla? The scene with King Kong and Naomi Watts gazing out over the horizon and then when they were at the top of the building, and Kong thumps his chest to say "Beautiful" - how can anyone *not* be moved!?

That film was a little too long though IMO. I loved it, but certainly the beginning could definitely be chopped.

Well, if you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, do give it a go - it's worth watching. Just watch it WITHOUT your son first to make sure it's something you want young eyes to see - I'm not kidding when I tell you it's deeply, deeply disturbing. But if it's tragedy you're after, that's definitely a classic.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What about The House of Leaves? I've not read it myself cus I don't read horrors, but I've heard that's a classic, right?

5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Little Shop Of Horrors. You just *have* to see it! I don't know what it is but me and Laddo just love it! It's disturbingly funny to the point of laughing your ass off (look out for Steve Martin as the Dentist, an ideal job for someone who loved nothing more than hurting things as a child). Audrey, a ditzy blond florist who can't see a good thing in front of her until it's nearly too late, Seymour, an underdog who rises to the challenge and Audrey II, a bloodthirsty plant who plans to take over the world. Set all this in a slummy 1950's backdrop set to a soundtrack of showstopping tunes and I guarantee you that for the following week you will be breaking into song, every chance you get ... :whistle: Suddenly Seymour ... is standing beside you ... :whistle: