1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Stupid mistakes that lead to temporary self-loathing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malisky, Jan 22, 2016.

So, I am so maaaaaaaaad right now I just have to get this out of my chest.

I took a job were I had to make a sign with a name on it. So today I created a nice font, wrote the name on the wooden slab in calligraphy with acrylics, gave a nice 3d text to it as its theme was daisies and made a thin, black border around the writing and the daisies with a marker, in order to make them pop out more. When I was done, I looked at it with pride and though: "Hm... This thing could use some protection from the weather (it's going to be an outdoors sign). I know! Why don't I spray it with the spray finish I use for charcoals? It should do the work."
    [​IMG]
    Moments later, I ended up with a black stained wood, as the ink dissolved from the finish and got absorbed into the wood. DAAAAAAAAAMN!!! I felt like punching myself. My masterpiece is in a mess beyond repair and I got to do it again... from the top... because of this final step that took only 3 seconds to total destruction. Ffffffff...

So... What's your story? Got something you want to take off your chest? Ever made a stupid decision on the last moment that destroyed your masterpiece or something like that? What do you do or did you do that pisses/ pissed you off?

A man called Valance likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

In a moment that defies all logic, that trumps all common sense as mankind knows it: I somehow deleted a manuscript that was 6,000 words long. Because I thought it was unimportant crap.

I'm still reeling over it years later.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

@Malisky that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I do. All the time.

I'm trying to think of my latest, but I tend to block them out so I can retain some self-respect. :p

4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I once failed to make a backup of my not-ever-to-be-brought-back journey. About 2000 photos I think. Then I went out to Greece, a burglar got into my room while I was out for lunch, and the harddrive was gone.

Shall I say that I never made this same mistake again?? I now back up with 5!! different HD's, in different parts of my flat and out with others too.

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Thieves broke into our factory and stole all the laptops and computers. They were insured and replacable but the machine plans on them were not. When I asked my husband why he didn't backup the files he told me he did...on USBs and CDs...that were in the laptop bags the thieves used to carry the loot away in...

6. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

OUCH!!!

7. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Hm... I think I ought to back up too at some point... :superthink:

8. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I took a job ten years ago for the money. It was a 4 dollar an hour raise and for a dirt poor couple it was big money. The bad part, the self-loathing that hunts me every damn moment of every damn day is the thought that I could have not taken the job, worked my butt off learning the in's and out's of Graphic Design (what I have a degree in and a nice chunk of debt still in student loan) at a low pay but it would have be low pay at something I have a FRICKEN PASSION for. but no, I took the easy money, the greed, the easy money now way instead of hard work and a belief in myself. There is not a single solitaire second that I don't regret that moment I took that job.

I guess that is more then temporary self loathing but well, maybe someday I will be over it.

9. Greyditch

Greyditch New Member

I haven't made any mistakes that were too severe, but after reading this thread I think it's time I back my stuff up to my external drive ;)

A man called Valance likes this.