Tags:
  1. katina

katina Banned Contributor

why do we write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Jun 6, 2018.

one of my best hobbies is to put words into thoughts to share with others
    but my first gut instinct towards the need to write is
    I write because I need to make sure that every word under the sun I know.
    knowledge of vocabulary is a priority
    I have to master the art of knowing every word but that is me :)

why do you write?

2. awkwarddragon

awkwarddragon Member

I just got into writing (haven't mentioned that in my posts), so my answer might seem tame in comparison.

I write because it's fun.

katina likes this.
  3. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Because the worlds I can make up in my head are a lot better than the real one. Might as well write them down, eh?

Linz, katina and flawed personality like this.
  4. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Creative outlet. Like Moon said too. If something bad happens in your story, you made it happen, as opposed to in the real world, where you have little control over what happens to you, and especially what others do to you.

Linz and katina like this.
  5. katina

that is an interesting thought about ''a bad situation happening'' and control. It never crossed my mind.
    I write poetry and so I tend to project the reality I come across or see in a fun way. :)
    I am thinking stories are different.

6. Linz

Linz Active Member

I've always loved writing. I write because I enjoy seeing characters and scenes that exist only in my head, come to life. I love proofreading my own work - when I'm writing well, it amazes me how well I can do it. I love it when I get the reactions from my family that I hoped to get. I love talking about the characters with my family - I find it interesting to hear what they think of certain characters, and who is gunning for which character.

For example, my aunt has taken a shine to my hero, Scott (who's being a/n [insert appropriate expletive here] in my head because he seems to find new ways to throw pretty large spanners/wrenches, in the works - yes, I know, he's only in my head, but I swear he just takes over when I'm following his POV :p ) and yesterday I jokingly threatened to kill him off (I can't, because he's integral to to the plot, and I am pretty fond of him myself :D ).

My aunt seriously told me to leave "her" Scott alone. I find that fascinating.

flawed personality likes this.
  7. katina

you did not did you?? :eek:
    You aunt is onto something here if she is taken a rather close interest to your Scott. Maybe have your aunt included in the plot that will sort her out :D

Linz likes this.
  8. Linz

Linz Active Member

Not this book. There's no room for my aunt in this book. I'm 2/3s the way through the first draft. But there are 2 other novels in the pipeline (I started with Book 2, but it's helping form the plots for the prequel and sequel :D ). Scott's safe. . . He's an interesting PITA, but he keeps me on my toes and improves my writing.
    :superlaugh:

I can't kill him off if I want the plot to finish remotely close to what I intend it to, but he's totally scuppered any chance of including the pre-written chapter that I worked on weeks ago. :rolleyes: :D

katina likes this.
  9. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I've always loved stories, and somewhere along the line I got it into my head that I wanted to make my own. This turned out to be really fun and a great creative outlet. It's incredibly rewarding to watch your daydreams come alive, in a manner of speaking. Later, I took a real interest in the craft. I aspired to telling ever longer, more complex, better polished stories. My favorite aspects have to be worldbuilding, and prose style and mechanics; but really, I love all of it.

This is somewhat beside the point, but I also think writing is a terrific brain workout. You get to tackle complex repercussive problemsolving and big-picture planning, you get to exercise your logical faculties, spatial intelligence, abstract thinking, and so on. It's a great way to hone and bulk up your knowledge base and your language. And all the while, your creativity gets to play, unfettered! No wonder it can be mentally exhausting at times. But yeah, this is one of the reasons I'm so drawn to it; it scratches that old gray matter so pleasantly.

Linz and flawed personality like this.
  10. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Moving towards a goal, like finishing a book, is the best depression cure I’ve ever dealt with. I’m between novels right now. Taking a short story class.

I’m probably going to write the two remaining short stories I’m required over the next week so I can get back to working on a book.

3 hours working on a novel is worth more to me than a bottle of Wellbutrin, a box of wine, found money, and a walk in the park.

Edit: like literally, today I read in an arboretum for two hours, lifted weights, ate Wellbutrin, and I’m about to pour some whiskey, and altogether it barely cuts it compared to working on a book.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Linz, katina and Spencer1990 like this.
  11. Linz

Linz Active Member

This is so true! Every. Single. Time I take my dog for a walk, my mind is filled with the novel, ironing out glitches, problem solving (I'm 20 chapters into it, and it's just occurred to me that the protagonists, who both have amnesia, and, for reasons that are mentioned very early in the plot, no one can help them or tell them anything about their lives in the last decade, would simply try looking through the pics on their tablets and phones. o_O

3 people are reading this as I go, and not one of them have asked me that. It's now explained in the latest chapter :D :cool: ).

But yeah, it is a great brain workout.

katina and Night Herald like this.
  12. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

I couldn't find the books I wanted to read so I decided it would be easier to write them!

Seven Crowns likes this.
  13. katina

hey nice one just what I like to hear :D
    also liking your name Nariac and from England.
    where abouts?

14. Nariac

Nariac is an unimaginative anagram of my real name. And I'm from Buckinghamshire, out in the wilds north of London. "Here there be dragons" and all that!

katina likes this.
  15. katina

that is nice and north london is pretty cool.:)
    Buckinghamshire is pretty posh right??

16. Nariac

Well I do sip tea with my little finger extended ... :p

flawed personality likes this.
  17. katina

haha you don't say :p
    I like tea I drink it all the time.
    what genre do you write in?

18. Nariac

Tea is like ... writing fuel. I must have it!
    All sorts of genres. My writing tends to mix them fairly often, for example pretty much all of my stories have a romance sub-plot. The science fiction can have a horror story arc. And so on!

Linz likes this.
  19. katina

when was the last time you have taken a break from writing?

20. Nariac

Probably about ... six years ago.