Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ninelifewriter5

ninelifewriter5 New Member

Thanks, I think. Haha. It's just the only way I can see it- there really is no reason why I do it.:rolleyes:

2. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

That's cool. What ever floats your boat.

3. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

What compells you to write? It just feels right.
    Why do you write? To give life to all the characters in my mind.
    What makes you write what you write? Social situations I'm going under in life.
    What made you decide you liked to write? The satisfaction of accomplishing something.
    What do you write? Fantasy.

4. forgotenmemory

forgotenmemory New Member

I write for many reasons. I want people to see the ideas going on in my head. I want to look back and see that I wrote something. Also to be famous, I want my name (or pen name) to be know!

5. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

I'm one of those binge writers who go one sudden sprees, when the inspiration suddenly strikes me. Of late I've tried to be consistent out of a conscious desire to see a completed work of mine ( a novel in progress ) and ..well... I just love writing!

6. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

OMG shreyass thats just like me. The same happened with Sword of Obed. What do u fink of it? you can be honest

7. Master of Shadows

Master of Shadows New Member

What compells you to write?
    The fact that it is one of few talents that I have. Of my talents I think this is the one I can express the most. I also need somewhere to put all my ideas so my head doesnt explode.:D
    Why do you write?
    I write because it makes me feel better. When I'm really upset, putting words on paper for a story makes me feel better than pouring meaningless words about how I feel into a journal.
    What makes you write what you write?
    Most of the reasons above. In addition to those, of course, writing is just a habit I picked up and I like it.
    What made you decide you liked to write?
    In elementary I always used to make up all these worlds with strange creatures, i.e., fairies and magic. I wrote a short story once that I thought was good for a seven year old. And then in junior high there was a poem that I wrote in like two minutes in math class. My language teacher told me to submit it in a contest and I got third place out of a couple hundred people, which everyone thought was a huge accomplishment for me.:p I didn't think it was that big, but ok.
    What do you write?
    Mostly fantasy because I like it, but sometimes I'll write a little poetry or a short story here or there.

^And those are my answers.

8. flid

flid New Member

Anything really, the books I read, music I listen too etc.

Why do you write?
    I Write because I enjoy it. I enjoy letting my imagination run wild. I love making people that I have thought up come to life and give them a whole story. I can make them rich, poor, lost or lonely. Its my choice :)

Because its what I like to read...all down to the write what you know saying.

What Made you decide you liked to write?
    I've always liked it. As a child I loved to read and love to be able to trasport myself into other worlds in books. I Like writing because it means I am in control and can do anything I want with the characters.

What Do You Write?
    I write fantasy stuff mainly, it generally turns into fantasy romance by the time I have finished, though I have written a couple of non fantasy things.

9. zardoz

zardoz New Member

Getting a good idea flash into my head or reading something good somebody else has written

Why do you write?
    Not sure I know. Sometimes I wonder as I never get anywhere, but it feels as though I am doing something worthwhile when I try. It's completely different in many ways to what I do for a living which can make it enjoyable.

I find it interesting to introduce weird things into "everyday life" kind of situations. I don't find it interesting to write about average people in average situations. I guess what I'm saying is that the things I gravitate towards are what I find interesting.

Probably writing stuff at school.

What Do You Write?

Probably drivel in most peoples opinion. At the moment am working on a sort of thriller with a supernatural element.

10. Glen Mayberry

Glen Mayberry New Member

I write AS A Avocation

When I first began writing I thought I could use it as a career. When you are starting in life with something you enjoy doing why not go at it slw. I;ve been published 16 times in Newspapers and articles. I eventually want to publish sanovel or series of short Stories. I also write to relax and enjy myself.:eek:

11. Myopic Chihuahua

Myopic Chihuahua Banned

Imagination. I want to inspire people of all ages to use their imaginations. I think people are far to serious and stuffy... and I think that kids are getting that way younger and younger.

Why do you write?
    It is fun! And challenging...

Above

I used to work as a receptionist a long time ago and kept telling everyone to wash their dishes. I tried all different approaches (signs, threats, etc) and nothing worked. So, one day I decided that I would make it funny. I wrote a story about the office Princess and how she went on a quest to destroy the evil monster living in the lunch room. I was, of course, the office Princess and the evil monster was, of course, the dirt on the dishes.

What Do You Write?
    A Fantasy Novel right now. Who knows down the road. My mom lives with my husband and I and she is a bit cooky so I am thinking of writing a compilation of stories that she tells.

12. Tari

Tari New Member

The enjoyment of writing? Or maybe a cat.

Why do you write?

Because it's enjoyable? I'm seriously thinking it might be the cat, though.

My whacked-out imagination, or my inability to control that very same imagination.

Huh. Poetry, I guess. Fun and easy to write, unless you're trying to convey some deep message in a certain meter and whatnot. I like free verse.

What Do You Write?

Short stories and poems. I start longer projects, then get bored after twelve-thousand words or so. Maybe that'll change?

13. chaplainandrews

chaplainandrews New Member

I am compelled to rite because life is so fleeting. I have journaled for years always chasing the memory so that it won't go away. The same is true of writing ideas--once they are not written down they are forgotten.

14. theBLOO

theBLOO New Member

What compells you to write? Emotion. Raw emotion.
    Why do you write? To express the emotion that burns me up inside. I'm one of those people that has a hard time expressing themselves verbally.
    What makes you write what you write? The world and the emotions it stirs deep inside of me.
    What Made you decide you liked to write? One day I fell in love with a man that had long since been dead --it was the very first time that words meant anything to me.
    What Do You Write? Poetry that reflects human nature, homosexuality and the biased opinion of a bigot. Short-stories that mean nothing but release the strain that builds at the back of my head. Novellas that keep my fingers busy, my dreams fulfilled.

15. LordValuemart

LordValuemart New Member

What compells you to write? The world around me.
    Why do you write? Because it's enjoyable, and a way to focus ones feelings.
    What makes you write what you write? Everything and Anything
    What Made you decide you liked to write? I've always loved reading. So I decided writing had to be more fun.
    What Do You Write? Science fiction. Realistic. Personal narratives. Fantasy.

16. Running Up That Hill

Running Up That Hill New Member

sounds really stupid, but most ideas come out of boredom

Why do you write?
    because I've been writing all my life through since I was 5...

experience, imagination, 'wishful thinking', abstract mind, mood...

I can truly be myself.. or not if I don't want to. :p

What Do You Write?
    Mostly short stories, at the moment loads of essays

17. The Majicou

The Majicou New Member

What compels you to write?
    I usually have to feel really inspired to write anything at all good, which is why I'm...erm, not too progressive an author.

Why do you write?
    Mostly I really want to share my ideas with the world. But with poetry it's like I need to describe my thoughts/emotions in the best possible way...and just saying them out loud doesn't work.

I don't know. My brain? :confused:

No clue. I think it was unconscious.

What do you write?
    Poems...trying my hand at fantasy...a couple essays...that's all.

18. Nati

Nati New Member

Lingering thoughts and ideas that rule my mind.

Why do you write?

I write to have those thoughts and ideas on paper. It feels like I'm escaping into another world and living the adventure with the characters. Writing is challenging...and I like that.

Whatever drives me to write. If it's an awesome idea that I would like to write about, or if it's a moment in my life.

Writing essays in school. Whenever an essay would come up, I would smile and immediately brainstorm whatever I have to do.

What Do You Write?

Stories...from fiction to nonfiction. My work comes out humorous most of the time no matter what it is.

19. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Don't know. As long as I can remember I've gotten these periodic compulsions to create. It used to frustrate the hell out of me when I was a kid, because I didn't know what I was supposed to do with the it. I used to try inventing machines, sculpting, drawing, but it never worked because I suck at all of those things. Eventually found satisfaction in writing.

Why do you write?

To satisfy said compulsion.

I dunno. My stuff kinda writes itself. I just try & stay out of the way as much as possible, only intervening to help give certain abstract thoughts name and form.

Don't know.

What Do You Write?

Short stories, mostly. Poetry sometimes too lately, but I suck at it. I'm trying to learn, though.

20. reesemarie

reesemarie New Member

hmm.. everything around me I guess? People places and things that stir up my mind. When I was a little girl.. it was my "portal" :cool:

Why do you write?
    I'm convinced, if I were to take a microscope and check out my DNA.. I'd probably find number 2 pencils, Bic pens, and yellow lined paper. Some people paint.. some chatter.. some, well.. you get the idea. It's fun! Geeez!

That's a great question! ..wish I had a great answer. But alas I'm stuck. Honestly, it usually starts off with a title or a theme. Like, I'll see something.. experience something.. feel something.... and then my captured moment pops out an idea. I have a clue as to where I would like to go with this idea, then as I begin to write the idea turns into it's own little self and does everything I wasn't expecting it to do. In a nutshell it would be easier to say what makes me write what I write? ..the wind :D

When I thought I would grow out of it.. and didn't ;)

What Do You Write?
    Lots of poetry. I like writing singy songy :p
    Short stories are always f-u-n!
    Lyrics...
    I journal a lot and just jot down my thoughts.. usually after reading scripture, God will lay things on my spirit. I've learned to let my spirit have it's way when writing. And many times I'll be going through an unexpected spiral in life and "just so happen-ly" turn to something I journaled weeks.. months.. years.. ago and receive just the right words to help me take in the scenery again, smell the flowers, count stars, enjoy creation..
    I would love to write a novel.. I enjoy writing Children's stories (TONS of IMAGINATION) - my "portal"

21. youngwriter_11311311

youngwriter_11311311 New Member

Somewhere where only us who are cursed know of
    My feelings and my emotions. Trying to prove I am more than what I see to myself and to others. But most importantly to gain knowledge of things and reflect back on life during that point in life.

Why do you write?
    I write for my sister and for every innocent child who loves to read and I hope that I can compell someone else to write.

What makes you write what you write?I write what I write because writing is a vent for me. If I am going through a difficult time of a happy time or an in love time or an upset or dramatic time in my life I incorperate it into my writing.

What Made you decide you liked to write?I decided I liked writing in a combination of my little sister and english teacher. My English teacher was completely cool she made writing fun. And once I saw that my sister enjoyed the stories I would make up on a wimb I began to fall more deeply in love with it. My little sister really inspired me by her good nature and I can see her alot coming through many of my main characters.

What Do You Write? I write pretty much anything that my dreams, thoughts and emotions compell me to write. I let a dream that has been on my mind grow and grow and after a while I see the story unfold in my mind and when I get to a piece of paper and a pencil of a keyboard and a free write that's where my writing and my thoughts and everything spill and escape me.

22. ecanusia16

ecanusia16 New Member

Probably an inherent, human need to tell stories. I don't write for the money (though I dream about it), I don't write for fun (because writing is more than a hobby, it's a vice). So I guess all writers write because they simply are compelled.

Why do you write?

Hm, because the call of the clacking keyboard and words and ink on paper is just... just... satisfying.

Anything under the sun. It can hit me in the head and I'll write about the swelling bump shaped like a cheesebun on my forehead... Uh, something like that.

It came slow. I've been writing like a madman even before I admitted I loved writing. I loved drawing first. But little by little, there was this hunger that only writing indulged.

What Do You Write?

Short stories, songs and Poetry mostly. I dabble with comic scripts and screenplays too. I haven't tried my hand on a novel, though.

23. StarVoyage

StarVoyage New Member

Flashes of inspiration mainly

I write to write, to improve my own ability to write, to show my vision to those who read.

My mind makes me want to write and my fingers do the typing.

Not sure, it just happened, and those that I show my unfinished works too want to read more.

I write Science Fiction and Fantasy to escape from this world.

24. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Writers get all the girls. That's the only reason I bother to do it...

25. twin1

twin1 New Member

Why do you write?
    What Do You Write?

What compels me is my passion! Every time I get an idea on what to write about I just cant get it out of my head, until I pick up a pen and just let it explode onto a piece of paper!

I am constantly in my own world of adventures, characters, and created worlds! I just can’t wait to share them with everyone or anyone who will listen.

When I was a little girl I had the most horrible grammar and spelling. Yet everyone always wanted to hear what I had to say! I would just stare at a blank page and read off to the whole class an exciting story I supposable had written down! My mom always wondered how I had passed with flying colors and blank notebook paper! Then I reached middle school and high school and that definitely didn't cut it! So ever since I was forced to try and write I found that I just couldn’t stop!!!

I dream of one day giving back to the world and publishing so many great stories and novels!

I love escaping into a good book, melting into its climax until I can’t even tell real-life from reality! And one day I want to be able to bring my passion, thoughts, and idea’s into someone else’s life! So that my readers too are sucked up into my world!

I like to write fiction, Fantasy, adventure, spiritual stuff and really anything I can think of! I actually wrote a fantasy novella I finished but am still working on! (you never know what you can do, until you do it) I even love poems and short stories! Everyone at my school loves to read my work. Its kind of funny because I never realized I had so many fans!

And that’s my short version of why I write! Oh and something I realized is that when you feel like you have nothing to say and your mind is blank, if you just sit down and just write (without thinking) you’ll find that there really was something amazing waiting to get out! Thanx :)