Tags:
  1. MissBadWolf

MissBadWolf Senior Member

Question Why forum suggests too many tags?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by MissBadWolf, Jan 2, 2020.

I just posted a thread earlier but it got delayed because I got a complaint that there were too many tags. Why would it suggest more tags than allowed? Also what are the tags for?

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

The forum has a functionality that automatically creates tags from the title (or text) when you create a new thread. Why this function adds every single word as a tag without filtering out stop words and such, I have no idea. And why it adds more than the limit I can't say either. It's broken and has always been broken. Only the owner can turn it off and he hasn't done so.

The usage of tags is to categorise threads based on their topic in an alternative way to using sub-forums. You can then search for a tag, say 'medieval', and find all threads from all areas of the forum (or specific areas) that have that tag. Much like how hashtags function in social media.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd also add that we tend to delete tags when we see a whole bunch of them together because it makes the board look untidy - i'd suggest deleting all the autogenerated tags before posting and if you want to tag your post adding a maximum of three

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Fun fact: The system currently has over 10000 different tags. Whoever made this tag system seriously need to look it over to prevent this from happening...

The three most used tags so far are:
    1. pro - 1418 occurrences (uhh...)
    2. writing - 795 occurrences (makes sense)
    3. dust - 769 occurrences ( :wtf: )

EFMingo likes this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

As I discovered on another thread, you can click on a tag to search for other threads with the same tag. I clicked on "unicorn"...

I suppose it's a useful function if used properly. But I have never seen it so used anywhere on Xenforo forums.