1. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

About to start reading DUNE but I have a question about the series?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by LuminousTyto, Aug 20, 2012.

I'm about to start Reading the Dune series but first I'd like to know the POV (point of view) Frank Herbert used for his books. Did he use the same POV for all the dune books or did he change up?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

It's been so long ago, I cannot remember the POV used.

I enjoyed the first book better than the others, but all had their postive aspects.

3. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Read it and find out! Why is the POV that important?

4. Julia

Julia New Member

I think they are all written in 3rd person limited. I am not sure if we follow the same person in the whole first book tho. And later on in the series the pov character changes, as the story spans over generations. Dune is not one of those series that follows one hero on many adventures, but rather one setting or idea, that many heroes get to explore. Think more Brian Aldiss Helliconia rather then Lord of the Rings.

Also, I just have to add: Not all the books in the Dune series are written by Frank Herbert. Those that are not, are different when it comes to quality (imo ofc).

Have fun reading. :)

5. NuttyStuff

NuttyStuff New Member

They are written in 3rd person, and read Frank Herbert's first since it is his story. When your done read Brian's if you want to learn were the Fremen and Bene Gesserit came from.

6. Vronsky

Vronsky Member

Although third-person, the first two concentrate on the story of one main character. After that, the focal point switches with each novel. The first novel is one of my favorite sci-fi novels. The quality after that isn't so great in my opinion. If anyone can explain to me the meaning of the ending of the last (Frank Herbert) one, I'd love to hear it.

As for those written after he died, I'd steer clear. I read one, and the writing was just *awful*.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

The original trilogy was worth reading; Herbert's a great, and quirky, writer. Dune and Dune Messiah are both largely written from Paul's 3PL perspective, and Children of Dune flips between Paul and Leto; but all the books feature slips into other PoVs as needed to advance the story.