1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Good Riddance

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by adamant, Dec 27, 2007.

If we're able to edit our posts beyond all recognition, why are we not granted the ability to delete them? That capability would lessen the load for moderators somewhat.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I agree admant.
    A lot of other forums allow you to delete your own post.
    I think we should be able to delete our post as well, here.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

No it wouldn't.

How would it do that Banzai?

4. Odinschild

Odinschild New Member

Because you could post something, (derogatory or not) then after causing a ruckus, remove the post and deny ever having done anything. Its the reason we don't allow members to delete their posts on the forums where I moderate.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Oh.
    But sometimes its good to have the delete button because then you can stop yourself from being a real jack &*$ if you know what I mean.
    Where I go everyones post are recorded automatically to the server so even if you delete it we have it in the server so that no one can deny it. Your post are saved, but you can delete them.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If mods get an inordinate number of "delete my oops" requests from a user, we're likely to suggest more thought before posting.

The reality is that we get very few delete requests. I tend to see (and delete) multiple copies of posts (usually due to slow server response) more often than I get delete requests.

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Not always does a deleted post disappear though.

You are able to set it so that if a member deletes a post the mods and admins can still see the posts.

But still I think that the way it is is better in all honesty. If you want something deleted please contact the mods. That way it causes no arguements etc.

8. Raven

Raven Banned

It stays as it is unless Daniel decides otherwise.

If you make an error in a post then use your edit function otherwise why would you want to delete a post.

As for the load on us to bare in Deleting Posts its really not a problem there are enough of us to deal with deleting double posts.

~Raven.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since you can always delete the content of your post, why do you think you also need to delete the title?... just hit the 'edit' button and delete what's in the post, if you don't want to keep it up there... i don't see any reason to have to go beyond that on your own... you should not have the ability to delete any replies, because they're the work of others... if anything else in the thread violates forum decorum the mods will take care of it...

10. adamant

I only meant delete your own posts, maia.

11. adamant

But isn't that always the most fun?

Alright... since we can't have deletion, can we at least get the power to change the name of threads we've created?

12. Raven

Raven Banned

And the answer is No.

*Have A Nice Day*

~Raven.

13. Cogito

I think maia's point was that if someone quotes you before you erase your post content, you're SOL, err, out of luck, regardless of whether you can delete your own posts.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i also meant that if you wanted to delete an entire thread you'd started, that wouldn't be doable, since others' replies would also be affected...

15. Raven

Raven Banned

I really do not see what the problem is with the way its set now.many forums have the same settings. Why should it be any different here.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Or if you make a mistake on something- you could just ask a mod to either erase the thread or post or lock the topic. I'm sure if it's a good reason they would be able to do it.

17. Raven

Raven Banned

As always. ;)

18. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

And amazingly sometimes- they read your minds and take away allll the embarresssing posts. So there ya go!

19. Manny

Manny New Member

That is quite correct. I am a Mod on an unrelated forum and our member edit own posts buttons expire after 24 hours. After that only a Mod or an Admin can do it.

It would create problems in heated discussions where people went back and changed content and then denied ever saying something in the first place.

However, I have not seen much heated discussion over here yet, one would imagine literary types are somewhat more self regulating.

20. Cogito

Well, that and the fact that flamewars get shut down pretty quickly - with consequences - when they do arise.

21. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

There has been a few heated debates. But the Mods generally do step in and take care of it. (handing out infractions, unfortunatly bannings in some places and locking threads etc.)

It's mostly a great place to be.

And I agree with you about what you said Manny. And it's a good idea to have the edit button taken away after a certain time limit. But then again, it would be difficult if some needed to edit their poems or some such thing. Or only the writing parts of the forum can have the edit button remain.

Hang on- would that be even possible? Or would it be too hard?

22. Raven

Raven Banned

The simple answer is unless Daniel decides otherwise it current settings will stay in place. Plus it works this way so why change something that works.

Secondly most flamewars have ended since we Mods became heavier on the infractions. Why? Because its not fair on others when someone starts flaming they ruin a good threead and create bad feeling. And this forum Has very little bad feeling and I for one intend to keep it that way.

Besides the Moderation team are the best I've worked with and I have worked with Moderators on other forums. Here we work as a team and are united. So there is certainly no need what so ever to change things.

23. Cogito

Again, why change it? People still need to monitor what they post, because as soon as someone quotes them, there really is no way to take back what they said.

The bottom line is that everyone is responsible for what they post, from the moment they click the button to submit it.

The edit button allows you to expand on what you wrote, reword it for clarity, or to a degree retract it at a later time. Members are expected to behave in an adult manner at all times, and treat one another with respect. The less that needs to be enforced by others, the better.

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Fair enough. But everything changes though. Including this place. A few things were swapped around. But yeah.

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Things always change but we will endevour to keep this place as it has always been. a Good forum. ;)