Why Movies?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Mar 31, 2008.

1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

lol XD. King Arthur was ok if you can lvie with the obvious historical inaccuracies of a movie claiming to represent a valid historical theory (A theory that is no longer valid btw).

2. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

People like cliche moves because of the same reason newer shows don't work out as well. They like the 'familiar places, people, and style.' I've noticed that my brother will turn back and watch something that has been 'made before' merely because he knows it will be funny because it's been done before, but then when something new comes out, most of the time, he throws it out because the style is different and he doesn't like it. Personally, I loved 300. I thought it kicked major ass.

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I have not seen the Hill's Have Eyes, but I have seen Saw, and I absolutely loved it. Not the 4th so much, but the first three were great. What I personally like about them is that they're "psychological thrillers." Plenty of action, but I love seeing how characters react in certain situations (i.e., Saw I, having to kill each other to leave the room). It makes you think: would you be able to cut our your own eye, find the key and unlock yourself to be saved?

300 was decent. V for Vendetta had great potential, but was a lackluster film. As was the Chronicles of Riddick.

He may be arrogant, but I still likehis stuff, particularly Reservoir Dogs. What makes his stuff any more pointless than anyone else's? Sure, Kill Bill may not have much of a point, just countless slaying, but I still enjoyed it. :D

Anyone seen The Boondock Saints? That, my friends, in my opinion, is an exceptional movie.

4. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

The most harrowing first 20 minutes of any film, I'd say.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Agreed. Best Three war movies ever: Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, and Battle of Britain.

If you want to expand that to include Mini-series than BoB gets replaced by Band of Brothers (Which can ironically also be contracted to BoB :p).

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

What didn't you like about Saw IV?

I thought it was actually rather good to be honest. It ties all four together. Plus leaves it open for a 5th in the series as well. They better do a 5th one!
    The 4th is more about the story and why the people are placed into the game and how it ties them all together. I think...

I love how the woman cop (can't remember her name..that is bad!) gets killed by the doll. That was priceless. I was kind of expecting something of the sort, but not quite that to be honest. There was hardly any gore at all in the 4th one, is that why not as many people liked it?

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I thought it was ass backwards.

8. Oasis Writer

lol - That's what I was thinking too. :) I think after one sequal on a movie, you'll have a hard time keeping it going. Sort of like Halloween. At first, he was human, and now he's a guy that just doesnt' die.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Agreed Oasis. Few franchises can keep going and going. Bond and Star Trek appear to be exceptions. They just keep coming back.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Vi Was?

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Embarrassingly enough, that took a moment for me to get...

12. Oasis Writer

Bond changes though. They expain every time why they change, so it just never seems to disappear, though they seem to start to use the same idea over and over.

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm not sure why I didn't like it, to be honest. Perhaps it's partially because I didn't understand it all that well. The lack of Jigsaw changed the film series, I think. I wish he was still in it. I also just didn't think the plot was as rich (doing a quick search shows a different writer than the first three).

October 24th. :D

There won't only be a fifth, there will be a sixth. It also appears Jigsaw will be in both films.

14. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I think I can hear her screaming with joy from here... lol

15. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Saw is a juggernaut. XD

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I can understand that. But it was there mainly to shed more light on the last three and tie all the characters into each other. I really enjoyed it anyways. But I can see why you didn't and that's kewl. Plus yeah being a new writer I knew not to expect it to be quite as good as the last three.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That brightened up my really bad night....I'll have another cup of coffee to celebrate lol