1. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Sequels

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by psychotick, May 3, 2011.

Hi Guys,

Odd thought. So I finished and published Maverick ten days ago, and felt hugely satisfied and relieved etc, thought it was time to move on. Then my sister read the book and liked it (that was a shock since she hated the other one!) and said there's room for a sequel.

Naturally I said no. Its a complete work in itself. Besides the big baddie is gone and peace and good will are sure to reign for millenia, and I don't want to type another hundred and eighty some thousand words again just yet. But blast it, the idea's been bugging me all night since then.

So my question is I suppose, how do you go about writing a sequel? I've never done it. Never looked at going beyond the initial story. I simply don't think about my novels in that way. And while I like the characters I created and their world, I don't even have the beginings of a new story.

Cheers.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I had an article published at Disquieting Visions on writin a sequel. It might help you get started, because it isn't as easy as it sounds.

Article: Goal: A Sequel that Compliments while Truly Standing Alone

Note: I am still working on the sequel to Flank Hawk, so we'll see in the end how it turns out.

3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

This is just a thought, but stand-alone books which were originally intended as stand alone books will probably be quite hard to write a sequel for if it wasn't originally intended.

What I'm working on right now is actually intended on being a three-book series (who knows if I'll be able to do that sucessfully though!) so it's easier to imagine the required staggering of structure etc.

Perhaps though, even though the main villain in your story was defeated, is there a way of making a minor villain who was maybe not completely disposed of come back as a major one?

In mine, it works well as the villain in the first book, whom the characters think is their only foe; is actually a pawn for the real head honcho and the scope of her plans far exceed those of the frontman... :D

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I don't write to a plan, I write to how the story comes to me, and so no I never envisioned a sequel to Maverick, I never thought beyond that one story. (On the other hand it was so long I could probably have broken it up into two or three books but that's another matter).

But there's also a psychological issue at work here. When I finished Maverick, I really finished it. I put all the files in a seperate folder and removed them from my normal folders so I don't even see it any more. Its sad in a way, almost like losing a friend. But now I mentally can't even think of anything more to do with the story. And yet I miss my friend, so maybe that's why the idea of a sequel appeals.

(Must go and take my prozac!)

Cheers.

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Honestly, if it wrapped up as well as you're describing, don't try it. It will only blemish a beautiful piece of art. This is one of the reasons sequels constantly screw up, they try to add on to something that is complete.

As for that feeling, you miss the characters. I bet they became your pals while you were writing it, I'm sure mine would if I just focus on one idea but that's another matter.:)

6. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Gotta write something. Do you have the story already in your head and ready to be fleshed out? Do you have something else in mind that you want to write more? If so write that first. If the sequel is still begging to come out, write it next. If you already are mentally ready to write it and nothing else is pressing, do it now.

7. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Luckily for me, I started a series rather than a stand alone book so in my case I've already got the balls rolling on Book 2. However, you've got a unique situation that is completely unlike mine. Your canvas is entirely blank, you can practically do whatever you want related to the world you've created whereas I have am bound to the confines I had already laid out.

I haven't read your first story but what I like about sequels that were (how can I say this) "unintended" is that the scale is increased. Take what you've done before but make it something even more epic. Also, bonus points for making it readable on its own (key references from the 1st but totally independent from it).