Why were witches burned at the stake?

Discussion in 'Research' started by alittlepronetopanic, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

"Why were witches burned at the stake?"

Because without the stake they'd just wander away, silly! :p o_O

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The Malleus Maleficarum, published in 1487, advocated for burning at the stake for witches.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

That's a good suggestion, and was the type of thing I was thinking the OP could use to research. It's available on pdf online but I haven't found a good ebook version yet.

I'm surprised that the guy that wrote the first version of it wasn't tried and burned himself. Have you read all of it? He didn't just say "If a person is found guilty of witchcraft, the recommended punishment is burning at the stake". No, that would be too easy. He wrote like dozens of possible circumstances each with their own recommended sentence like

1. Found guilty of the worst crimes by multiple witnesses.
    2. Found guilty of mild witchcraft by a single witness.
    3. Found guilty, but repented before sentencing.
    4. Found guilty, but repented after sentencing.
    5. Found guilty of mild witchcraft, but the single witness just moved to the village less than a year ago.

This seems like something the devil would come up with, like those terms and conditions everyone clicks through online (with apologies to SNL).

Xoic likes this.
  4. Xoic

^^ Actually the minds that devised the most horrendous things were often the most pious or at least supposedly. It was Christians in the middle ages who came up with all the torments of Hell. Of course it was pre-scientific times, and people were very materialistic. I think the majority of them could only visualize heaven or hell in physical terms, and of course torture was really big in those days.

And of course nobody can imagine more perverse things than the censors who think up endless categories of perversions to persecute. There's something about some of the most pious people, or the ones who claim to be completely untarnished and good. They often tend toward unconscious projection and secretly love torture and perversions.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

The reason women were burned at the stake for crimes that men would have been hung, drawn and quartered for (treason in England and Wales) was modesty. Burning didn't involve exposure of the woman's body, as Blackstone explains: "For as the decency due to sex forbids the exposing and public mangling of their bodies, their sentence (which is to the full as terrible to sensation as the other) is to be drawn to the gallows and there be burned alive."

6. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Xoic likes this.
  7. Xoic

^^ That pretty much covers my entire last post above lol! :superagree:

zoupskim likes this.
  8. Naomasa298

Xoic likes this.
  9. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

I'm amused that you've written "Found guilty of ... by ... witnesses". In a decent justice system, the witnesses would claim that something happened, then a jury would decide on guilt based on the evidence. Then again, looking at the Salem witch trials, it really does seem to be a case of a few girls choosing to accuse whoever they wanted, and few people dared question their honesty. The likes of Elizabeth Hubbard really were pretty much finding people guilty by making accusations.

10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I was actually paraphrasing what I skimmed over, but you are right, I should have said "found guilty through the testimony of a single witness."

The Hammer of the Witches appears to be written mostly as a guide for a judge or judges presiding over the trial, so the decision probably came down to one person or possibly a few.

For example, if the person found guilty of witchcraft repented after the verdict, his opinion was that life imprisonment should be considered but that such 'conversions' should not be given too much weight and left it up to the judge or judges to decide whether to carry out the original sentence.

11. Xoic

Wasn't this exactly the idea behind the movie, I think it was The Crucible, with Winona Ryder? It was like Mean Girls meets the Salem Witch Trials.

Edit—yep:

And if you want to see how hardcore cruel witch hunters could be, there's the classic Vincent Price movie Witchfinder General:

Of course I don't recommend these as actual research, they're fictionalized movies. But they get across a strong sense of atmosphere and mood, the feel of what it might have been like.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I do believe it was Heresy and against the religious teachings
    and rule of communities, and the only way to purify the soul
    and purge the witch was to basically burn them alive to
    accomplish this kind of morbid purification of the person(s)
    to be accused of being a witch/warlock.
    Cleansed.jpg

Seven Crowns, Xoic and ThunderAngel like this.
  13. More

More Active Member

Way back in the distant past, there was no police or any law enforcement as we would understand it. The population was controlled in different ways. The fear of God was the main one but after that was just fear. The crime rate was largely unreported, but the punishment was often harsh and in public, to act as a warning to others. There was a number of crimes that were impossible to prove or disprove and the victims were exactly that. All over Europe, the same technique of control was used and often the witches would be burnt, thrown over cliffs or whatever as part of a festival.

Xoic likes this.
  14. Xoic

Bring the hot dogs, I'll bring the Marshmallows!

15. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

lol

I was actually going to post a funny about s'mores. But you beat me to the punch.

Xoic likes this.
  16. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

People believed in witches at around the time period you’re writing about. Witches were perceived as unfriendly and evil at the time. However modern popular fiction such as Harry Potter and movies such as Hocus Pocus has brought another dimension to how modern “witches” are seen and turned around public perception of them.

The modern day witch has come a far from the trials she’d have had to endure back in the day.. But How do you suppose the witch has achieved this? ‘Twas a form of witchcraft - or magic- I hear you say?

40407F32-5AF9-4501-8465-A146BB028DE3.gif

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Xoic likes this.
  17. Naomasa298

18. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    Exactly!

Seven Crowns likes this.