1. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Help with a character's past

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Megalith, Feb 26, 2017.

Hello forum goers, I'm currently stuck on my WiP, for a few days now, designing a particular character. I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable past that makes this character who he is today. To explain who this character is I'll give you what I do have about him.

Sadok Zafar(Jewish-Muslim from the middle east) - Has a clear goal. He has witnessed firsthand the wolves that walk among us, pretending to be like us. He is climbing to the top, gaining the power and influence needed to do something about it. He goes far out of his way to make sure he doesn't bend his ideals, but completely disregards rules when they seem of little consequence. He understand the point of the rules. He obeys and enforces them to a t most of the time, unless there is some very good reason not to. Sadok's wisdom allows him to make quick moral choices and understand the minds of those he pursues. He can see through people easily, and get to the bottom of things very quickly. He assumes the worst in people, and this makes him distant as he'd rather concentrate on his goals than spend time with anyone. Sadok is very direct and unapologetic for his actions and behavior. Yet he has a distinct demeanor that anyone would immediately recognize. A strong presence that gives off a subtle, somber aura. He studies social behavior and social systems, and has a deep understanding of economics, law, and politics. He has used this understanding to become a part of the deep state global government created to enforce peace. A backwards idea, but if he had actual control over the things they can do, they could have a real effect in the world, a positive one, instead of just a profitable one. Sadok is very old school moderate, but has no problem adapting his ideas to the modern world. He believes in strictness as much as he believes in flexibility. He has an open mind and mitigates when necessary.

Weakness: He can be cold and calculating, sometimes even cynical, in his planning and execution, but always takes the moral high ground. This can get in the way of his plans making them more complex than what is necessary. He pushes people away, often without realizing it, leaving him up to his own devices when he is in trouble. He has trouble seeing people as anything more than pawns, which he justifies with his righteous goals, as just a means to an end.

Strengths - Can tell if people are lying, and get into people's minds to figure out what they are thinking and what they will do next.(most of the time) Using very little clues he can reconstruct crime scenes and determine culprit motives, interpreting theirs actions, instead of their identity, directly. He can take advantage of social structures and hierarchies to gain power quickly, among any constructed social system, as long as he can communicate freely with them.

I was thinking about a particularly dark past that has to do with his conflict of family ties in the middle east. To this affect I thought Jew/Muslim name would fit the bill, but is there an even better combination that would work better? thinking about conflicts, wars is the obvious first choice. But I was thinking something more nuanced. I wanted to draw on the parallels of this character's ideas about rules, justice, and it's relation to sharia law, that he is exposed to directly. Witnessing firsthand the cycle of hatred that breeds more and more destruction, and a strong will to break it. I honestly am just a little too clueless without fearing stepping on my own toes on this one. If someone had some good resources that might help me. I have a normal geopolitical understanding of the middle east, but i think that's just enough to get me into trouble. I know this is a particularly sensitive subject so any advice would be helpful. I'll listen to any ideas you have about what you think a good past for this character is like, or if you have some resource you think will help me, I'll gladly look it over.

I know this character is over the top, but it's the nature of the story I'm writing. I've always had an affinity for over the top, flashy spectacles that stretch the limits of our imagination. So don't worry if your idea sounds crazy, that might be just for me. Although keep in mind I am trying to base as much as I can in reality to contrast the over the top nature of the stories I write. I'm looking forward to any ideas that will help me gets past this bump in the road, thanks for considering. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Okay, first thing first. The character'sname can tell you alot about his background. First thing first, except for Israel, you don't have many jews living anywhere in the middle east so that's most likely your starting point. Secondly, a person with a jewish/muslim name doesn't usually just happen. (Unless, of course, we are talking about jews of arabic origins such as Tunis or Iraq). I can see the following ways someone like that could be born.
    1. A person of mixed Jewish-Muslim parentage. He can practice any kind of the two religions, or just be secular. This can work out in purely Muslim countries as well, though I find it hard to believe a person will keep a Jewish name there.
    2. A convertee, either jewish to Islam or the opposite. And have your character change just one of his names. Sure people who change their religions will mostly want to change everything about them, but you already pointed out that this man will want to be different from everything around him. Maybe he dabbed with some radical religious elements like Kach or Al-Quaida (I have no idea how to spell that).
    3. A person born of purely one religion and changed just his name to better suit his surroundings. Maybe he was a jew who saw business opportunities im places like Dubai and changed his name to better fit in. Or an Israeli Muslim who took on a more Hebrew name in hope of a better life in Israel. Maybe he changed his name to establish the fact that he is not a part of any side of a conflict. Or that he belongs to both.

As for a dark past, the obvious choice is losing family and friends due to war and terrorism. A less obvious choice is bankrupcy because of a currupt system, being disowned by his family for choosing a different lifestyle. You can mix them up as well, giving your mc a really shotty background.

And one final hint, when talking about these subjects, keep in mind that no matter what you write someone will be offended. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you do a thorough research. The best option is media coverage from different sources. And not just the main headlines, it's no less important to read the smaller articles, that teach you alot about day-to-day life. Also, if you can, I'd suggest speaking to people who live there.

Good luck.

lisalou4 and Megalith like this.
  3. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Wow, so much good information here thank you! I have been doing media research but there is just so much it's hard to figure out where to start. You've given me a few ideas on the details i was looking for. It's going to come down to more research, but thanks for the direction, I appreciate it.