Tags:
  1. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

Why would someone want to travel with a Jerk?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AltonReed, May 3, 2011.

To make it easier, I'm just gonna explain the story.

This is a Doctor Who fan Fic featuring the 8th Doctor near the end of his life. (All you need to know that my MC is a grumpy old man in the body of a young one.)

He meets a girl called Valerie and although he tries to protect her from an infection, he isn't very nice about to her about it. In fact, he's not very nice to anyone really.

At the end, Valerie joins the Doctor for a journey around the universe. Although he is still horrible at the end of this story, he mellows near the end of the 'series'. But why would Valerie accept his invitation to travel the universe with him when he's down right horrible to her?

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Maybe she realises there's a good side to him?

3. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

I like that idea, and I think it will be pretty easy to work into the story! Thanks!

4. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

People travel with jerks all the time. Sometimes, you just have to for necessity reasons. Here, it could be because she wants to see the universe, even if it means her companion acts like a jerk at times. Hope this helps.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

love
    money
    coercion
    need to go somewhere
    want to see the places he's going
    assigned to do so by some authority

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

She could have been raised in an abusive household. Many abuse survivors gravitate toward abusive of hostile people because it feels normal and oddly comfortable.

7. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Maybe she doesn't really have a choice. Maybe there's some sort of reason that she's forced to depend on him, whether she likes it or not, or maybe he has no choice but to depend on her, and she knows it.
    Maybe there's a slight indicator, despite all of his gruff and nasty exterior that he's not necessarily what he seems. Women are notorious for trying to be redeemers of downright obnoxious people (maybe myself included!).

EDIT: I tried doing the quote manually, and it didn't work--not sure why...

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It was because you did [NOPARSE]

9. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

Just to clear up, The Doctor's not abusive, just incredibly grouchy.

That would be a good way to tell the story aswell, just need to work out a way to weave it in. Thanks all!

10. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

Maybe she doesn't at first, but they keep bump into one another and she keeps landing herself in danger.
    Or
    She doesn't know, what it is but there is something is pulling her towards him, not wanting to join him but she feels like she must.
    OR
    She agrees but there something that she has plan, something she wants or something important that she is keeping from him.

I like Doctor who, just wondering if you be post it here after you writen it.

11. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

I'm scripting it for a short film I'm going to make with my action figures. And the script is mainly improvised once I have the story plan, except for certain bits of dialouge. I'll give a link to the series if/when it's done.

12. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

He carries the key to one of the secrets of the universe, and so by travelling with the old man who's grouchy (but also very wise) she can attain that knowledge.

13. Raz

Raz New Member

Well this reminded me of a movie I saw long ago, I don’t remember the title but here goes a quick synopsis.

We have a little boy not older than 13 years old, he is traveling with his parents and for some reason crashes, his parents die in the accident and he is left alone. On the other side we have a hermit, a hunter that knows pretty well the landscape and is traveling right when the crash happens nearby.

The hermit is a lonesome cranky man who has being diagnosed with a fatal disease and he has just a few days left, he is going to his special spiritual place deep in the no man’s land territory when he sees the boy, unable to go back and get the boy to safety and then return to his special place he decides to continue and let the boy die.

Yet the boy sticks to him, along the journey we see that the boy travels with him and watches him from afar, the old man at first tries to lose him but then slowly starts to soften sometimes helping the boy and explaining him how to survive alone. Then as they reach the place the old man dies but just after passing his knowledge to the boy allowing him to make his way back to civilization alone.

I know I spoiled the whole story but I highly doubt I can remember the name, still there’s a lot of things I missed in order for the movie to still be enjoyable, if someone happens to recognize it you might notice I have some facts wrong since I don’t quite remember every detail.

But the point is, the reason to tag along a jerk might be out of need, either from the doctor to the girl (in your case) as if she has something the doctor needs, or otherwise. But it depends on the characters, like Jack Sparrow who is an “adorable jerk” yet they need him every now and then.

14. sirus1257

sirus1257 New Member

Well, if he's trying to help her with a medical issue as you claim, that's pretty good motivation to stick with someone.

As to any further analysis of her reasoning, I'd really need to know more about the character herself: what type of family is she from, where did she grow up, what kind of temperment does she have, etc.

15. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Maybe her character has developed. At the beginning she would breakdown whenever he was mean to her, but by the end she has learned to throw it right back at him and stand up for herself. At face value they are just insulting each other, but really it is their way of connecting with one another. A bonding experience.