1. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by RusticOnion, Jan 10, 2012.

Hey guys, so I'm writing this book about the fantasy world and it's from the perspective of mankind which is currently enslaved, carving out their own kingdom, rebelling, warring with other races, and being present to a potentially world-changing event. But I only want this story to be a single book.

I then want to jump ahead 150-300 years into the future and have a plot that ties into the old one which will be about mankind dealing with the repercussions of what happend in the past, I'm hoping to deal with a much larger scope and have the story span 3 books.

What are your thoughts on this? I know I haven't given you much to work with and if you have anything you need me to clarify I'd be happy to.

Thanks in advance.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

My thoughts are that you have a trilogy and a prequel. Kind of like the relationship between Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, I guess.
    I honestly don't see what else I could possibly say about it.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

deleted - cus I replied to the wrong thread sorry :D

4. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Yeah, Cruci's advice is solid. It sounds a lot like that book would work as a prequel which could lead into your trilogy/saga etc.

5. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Maybe you did read my post correctly, but in case you didn't, I wasn't actually advising anything. Rustic was telling us his idea, then not really asking a valid question. I was genuinely just repeating what he'd already said and adding an analogy to make sure he realised that it's a perfectly okay idea.

6. Betrayal

Betrayal New Member

What I would do is, I would make a prologue describing the current issues that is happening in the present day. Poke around with it. Then the first chapter start from the cataclysm 300 years back and build up to the event itself.

7. Batgoat

Batgoat New Member

I think you've answered your query in your original post.

8. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

The biggest problem I see is that, to fit it all in one book, you need to have a protagonist consistent throughout. If you could swing it that an elf or a half-elf (anything that lives longer than a human) was the main character fighting for humans, and then fast forward to the future, that could be interesting. Hercules-style half-god, even. Additionally, instead of making it two separate parts, you can take a more integrated approach, switching between the two times to unravel your story in a potentially more interesting way.

Without a consistent protagonist, the second half will feel like a sequel.

9. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

There is nothing wrong with this plan.