1. Sam Webb

Sam Webb Member

Why?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sam Webb, Jun 28, 2022.

I have 2 books out, both self-published, that I am super proud of. I did all the work on the second one and after people read it, I was told it had a lot of small errors. I have over 20 other books started/plots but don't want to write because I don't have any help. It's hard to do it all, especially because I have a learning disability. I'm not making excuses, more venting. I am 3/4 of the way done with my third book and don't even want to work on it. How do any of you keep motivated to continue to write when life is stacked against you?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Did you hire an editor or proofreader?

On the plus side, despite the small errors, it sounds like the readers finished the book.

petra4, Sam Webb and evild4ve like this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Whenever you put any kind of work into the public domain, whether that's writing or otherwise, you have to be prepared to take criticism.

Some of it may be justified, some of it may not. You don't have to agree with it, but you have to realise it won't be one smooth ride.

I imagine even Harrison Ford had lots of rejections before his first successful audition.

Cephus likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

- being self published doesn't mean you have to do it all yourself... finish your book then get it beta read then hire an editor or a proofreader or both... and probably get the second one proofread too... if the small errors are typos or spag fixing them should be easy

if they're plot related i wouldn't worry too much if they're not egregious, given the amount of errors people like stephen king make in every book you can write those down to experience.

no successful self publisher does it all themselves

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

This is why people take the trad route, so the main thing or only thing you have to worry about is the writing. People will of course tell you even through the trad route, you're expected to do some self-promotion, but the extent to which you must take care of that, as well as in which scenario that is actually true for, both vary depending on a whole load of factors.

If you like the control but not the marketing and business side, a small press could be a good route to go - it essentially achieves similar results to good self-publishing (assuming a good press) without the financial risk and with less of the business side thrown in.

If you don't want the business side at all, go trad - eg. agent >> big pubs.

If you are happy self-publishing but are simply tired, consider outsourcing the work depending on budget and profit. Self-publishing, serious self-publishing that has success, is a business venture. You are the publishing house, so to speak, and publishing houses are not one-man shows. I've not self-published, but personally I'd throw money into cover design and marketing/ads/social media presence. BookTok is huge right now - ride that wave while it's there. My copy is pretty darn clean, so I'd personally see editing as a secondary concern in terms of monetary investment (it's not just me who thinks that - I've been told this by betas, agents and publishers, so at least in terms of SPAG I'm not too worried, honestly). Not everyone's like this though. So I'd probably prioritise which aspects you outsource depending on your own strengths and weaknesses.

Either way, there're many routes to publishing. If something isn't working for you, change tactics. No need to wallow in it and force yourself to push through. Pushing through is good, but you gotta be strategic, not just push on blindly. See why it's not working for you and see what the solutions are. That's what running a business is about, and if you're a self-publishing author, then you're running a business.

petra4 likes this.
  6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think it must be hard to have 20 books going on at the same time. Motivation can come and go. It can be hard to move forward when you feel like life is stacked against you both with writing and life itself. Maybe it would be good to narrow your focus and really throw yourself into one thing at a time. Another thing that can help is having a routine or schedule that you stick to. As far as outside help goes, well, writing can be a lonely pursuit. Sure, you can always hire some sort of help with editing or whatever, but for the most part the writing is all on you. Good luck, my friend, and try not to get discouraged.