1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

will do you change your story...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mans, Mar 22, 2013.

do you change your story...

Usually, when you are writing a story do you change some of its events unlike what you have planned formerly?

2. John Eff

John Eff New Member

If you mean, are changes made to the original story as other ideas occur, then yes. Stories evolve. Nobody would stick slavishly to the original if they think of something better.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's hard to get what you're trying to say, due to the language gap, mans, but if john has guessed correctly, then i agree with what he said about it...

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

My story constantly evolves which makes things tricky - I usually have to go back and polish up beginnings.
    It's good though, as nothing I plan can match what just comes natural.

5. mg357

mg357 Active Member

If i find something in my stories that does not make sense or i find something that could be stated or described in a better way i change it.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think the meaning of your question is clear. My story has changed a lot as I go. I find some things don't really work when I'm writing them in more detail. And sometimes when I change one thing, I have to change another thing because of the first change.

The story evolves as I go.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That too.

8. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

When I plan out a story I struggle with the structural changes that come up when the story takes on a life of its own. I begin to question too much, over think and try to get back on track by rearranging everything. At that point I get stuck.

I prefer to have a basic premiss to work with, create a character to carry forth the idea, and let the story take the lead. Sure, I have to go back and update parts earlier in the story, but it is easier, it flows better. It creates stability in my mind when I go back and link or change the earlier part of the story to accommodate the later part.

9. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

Lately, I've been trying to think as linearly as possible, since my rough drafts seem to be erratic in thought. As a result, I change the story to fit the logical progression in the revision process. This is also when some other ideas spring up and show me different routes. A character of mine might have said something in passing, and, upon re-reading the line, I discover this comment should be expanded--that it may contain the core of his characterization. If this happens, then I may re-write entire pages so I can add this new information, attempting to keep the transition into, and the transition out of the new information as seamless as possible, linear and logical.

I try and write from the seat of my pants, with some basic out-line in my head. I've learned not to jump on the initial spark of an idea, and to let it simmer a while once I've started grappling with it in my mind. When the characters start talking, or when I start formulating an opening and writing sentences in my head, then I begin to write. Having an ending in mind usually helps, too.

I also try to ask myself questions such as, "Do my characters have purpose? Is there a reason he's in this scene? IS there a reason they found themselves in the next scene?" If none of these questions can be answered, I give them purpose, and fit the plot accordingly, or re-write the plot to fit the purpose. And some more questions, "Is there conflict? What could they be doing right now that creates tension?"

etc. etc.

10. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

events, characters, backgrounds, settings all change, they're all relative. If I find satisfaction with a change then so be it