1. iniyamalar

iniyamalar New Member

Will my plotline work?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by iniyamalar, Aug 4, 2008.

Hi iam a newbie .for this site and for novel writing..
    But writing had always been my passion n now i settled upon doing it.
    I have a base for a plot for my very first novel and Iam confused whether it will work.
    I need someone to help me out.
    It's fiction basically.
    There is this naturally formed blackhole in an archeological place where our protagonist accidentally finds her infront of two diferent men from two different timeline in past both gone in the hole in their own time during a crisis n came out into the future.not knowing wht to do n how they got there
    they seek the only person who can help them ,our protagonist.they try to get back to their timeline but dont know where they came through..the exact location
    our protagonist helps them to get back while learning a lot about life and also about where her heart is.

is this plot good enough to be developed into a novel .can i put enough conflicts in this stoy to make it a super novel?
    plz someone review..n also if someone can tell me whether it is possible to have two timetravellers at the same time to the sametimeline n back??

2. That Guy From That Place

That Guy From That Place New Member

any plot works if the writing is good.

3. illuminati

illuminati New Member

Your idea has a Stargate (the Movie) / Fifth Element feel to it. Watch these movies (again if you have already done so in the past) to get your creative juices flowing. Also see how the writers addressed the main plot and weaved in sub-plots.

Like That Guy from That Place said, if you write it well enough, the story will be fine. The plot sounds interesting. The execution of that plot will determine whether it will succeed or tank...

4. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Like Cogito will probably say, as long as the writing is good, it will probably work.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The full text of what Kratos knew was coming:

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

6. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I agree with everyone else who has posted so far.... so long as the writing is good, the storyline will definitely work.

Or say as long as the writing is good, it'll work. :p

7. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Stop right there:

Ok. No, this will NOT work.

Blackholes are in essence solid matter and as such if they were to come in contact with normal matter they would literally absorb it into themselves.

Or perhaps you were talking about a worm-hole?

Oh this is a time warp not a worm-hole. I find it hard that there be an accidental deliberate action on the part of the MC to find them self with themselves.

There are also time-warp continuum theories and philosophies that you might want to look into before venturing into this the paradox of time travel and what can happen.

There exists novels like this based on the premise of time travel. I suggest you read them to get a feel for what others have said regarding messing with time travel.`

I suggest you look up time travel paradoxes and things like that. Right now I would say the mechanics of this story is going to be the biggest hurdle for you to overcome, if not a massive roadblock in writing your story.

I would suggest just make a simple love triangle story based in a setting that makes the physics easy to grasp.

or make this a short story where you do not need to get into the physics of the issue.

8. iniyamalar

iniyamalar New Member

Hi everyone thnx a lot for sharing ur thoughts..
    I really didn't expect that there will b so many good souls ready to help newbies..thnx again..iam grateful
    Coming to the point.
    Iam going to write in my language in which science fictions are rather rare..
    so iam not so sure about the audience.(but i have the confidence that i can make people read it with interest.)
    my writing style is good(so iam told..n i feel so too)
    iam just worried abt the feasibilty of the plot.I have never watched much science fiction movies except back to the future trilogy ,years ago.i donno abt stargate.
    i just read about timetravel..wormhole n yes the granny paradox everything accidentally n at once i got this plot.(n i am researching now)
    the important point in this plot is the historical difference in the two men n their thoughts.one comes from kingdom rule time n other from freedom fighter for democracy
    n they r with this very independent solid personality of a woman who knows everything around her at such ease..which is totally new for them.

So i need these two men with diferences whatever it takes.
    All i want to know is...
    Can i scientifically convince (to a soft sf level)ppl with this .the funny thing is we dont have a perfect word in my language for wormhole or timewarp..i have to make ppl understand by just my writing.

So ungood ,if u know n can guide me where i can learn more abt wormhole.n discuss .

i will really b thanful to you.

9. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Okay, I know, this has very little to do with your plotline, but please, in the future type out words. It is incredibly hard to read if every other word is a letter 'and' is not 'n,' 'are' is not 'r,' and 'Iam' needs a space. Sorry, but I am a bit obsessive about chatspeak. I don't like it.

10. iniyamalar

iniyamalar New Member

Sorry!..

wow..
    Sorry to have hurt your feelings. My primary aim was to get my point through, to those experienced people who can help me.
    I definetely did not think about mail etiquettes and grammar.Sorry if that was a mistake.
    This website is my source and guide for ideas and help.I think, I did mention that I am writing in my language,so you must understand that my english is limited.
    And for your sake,I will try to use as good English as possible for me.
    thank you anyways..

11. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

It's cool, no hurt feelings. We completely understand (there are lots of people on the site whose primary language isn't english), I wish I could help with your time travel theory stuff, but that is something I know nothing about.

12. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Richard Dwakins might be a good place to start. Depends on the realism of the story.

In truth, you could use back to the future bases for what you want to do. I don't see how that could hurt. Just make up the technology and terms call it a portal or gateway.

BTW: What is your primary language?

13. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Well, I'm mexican, so I talk spanish. But, I can tell you, in this site you'll see how your grammar improves and how your vocabulary grows. By the way, if you plan to write it in spanish, I'm your man. :)

14. iniyamalar

iniyamalar New Member

thank you ungood.thankyou marcelo.
    My primary language is Tamil(an indian language).
    I read a little more about wormholes and blackholes and all.
    i could get the basic scientifical support for traversable wormholes with multiple entry points..
    Now the problem is how to bring it upon in two different timelines at natural circumstances.
    i read that many microwormholes when thrust upon with negative/exotic matter will expand and form a macrowormhole(fit enough for human)and will be stable until positive matter thrust into it.
    So i am planning to use some natural calamity a storm possibly(Since the location is historically important and is a coastal region)occured during all three timelines caused the expansion of the wormholes.So far so good.
    Let me see ,i might get into some roadblock -somewhere in the middle
    i have nowhere to turn but to you people..

PS:marcelo ,i always have an attraction to mexicans..their food,complexion - little comparable with indian..Who knows ,my next plot might involve a mexican.
    i surely will come for your help then.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If current science doesn't provide what you need, you could hedge a bit and encounter a "Prescott-Klum Anomaly", or other impressive sounding name for a theory that has not yet been proposed. Then you can establish the rules by which it operates. As long as you can come up with something reasonably consistent, and that's no easy task in time travel stories, you'll be fine without having to overexplain the "science" behind it.

Time travel is far enough outside what current science can explain that it falls somewhere between Science Fiction and Fantasy.

16. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

And now, based on what I've learned about writing, I will take your question, and answer it with the same exact sentence re-structured in the form of a statement:

The plot is only "good enough" to be developed into a novel, IF you can put enough conflicts in the story to make it a "super novel".

That and don't just add conflict after conflict because it seems more exciting.

17. J Done

J Done New Member

As pretty much everybody else has said, it isn't necessarily the plot line which makes the Novel worth reading, if you look at a lot of Novel's which all have the same boring plot, it's the writing which makes them worth reading.

If it's thrilling, then people will like it and henceforth it will work.