Tags:
  1. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Wine selection

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rzero, Apr 4, 2020.

I need a pick from a connoisseur here, or maybe a sommelier. The rub is that I need a character to specify a vintage, and I don't want to make something up. I need the brand and make of a wine that someone might say something to the effect of, "Grab the '97. Remember? You hated the '98." That sort of thing.

What's a wine that an affluent aficionado might know and care about by year, if he had several options in the cellar? It can be from any era, but I'd prefer the 90's or later. Even modern would be great, because the story takes place in an unspecified future year.

It also doesn't have to be something that varies greatly in quality from one year to the next, just one that someone might have a preference for between vintages. Thanks!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

1997. Napa Valley. Anything proprietary will do... like Opus One, Far Niente, Col Solari, etc...

Rzero likes this.
  3. Rzero

I thought you might have the answer, restaurateur and all. Thanks!

Does the '97/'98 thing make sense?

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

You might look up vintages in the Wine Trader or a similar publication. They'll also give you an idea of the price ranges, so that you can match them with what the characters might be able to afford.

Rzero likes this.
  5. Rzero

That's a great idea. Fortunately, the characters had almost infinite funds and a wine obsession, so I can pick anything I want. Wine Trader might help me fill in some blanks where I wrote "riesling" or "pinot" or "ruby port" but really wanted a brand and vintage. I know a fair amount about the various types of wine and their flavors and a little about pairing, but almost nothing about regions, seasons or collecting in general.

My characters are high-dollar connoisseurs, or at least they were before their memories were erased. Their cellar is filled with thousands of bottles, and I want to describe their discoveries with the authority and taste I've put into their first encounters with the all-time great albums and films as they encounter them. In the end, I'll probably need an expert to correct every spot in the book where I mention wine, but this will definitely do for now. Thanks!

6. Homer Potvin

You'll be wanting to mention the DRC (Domaine Romanee Conti) Burgundy regional wines then. Most expensive in the world.

For Napa, the notable districts are Stag's Leap, Oakville, St. Helena, Howell Mountain, Rutherford and a few others. Those distinctions are extremely important. It's one thing to be certified Napa, another to be districted in Rutherford or Howell Mountain.

HOWEVER, wine has come a lonnnnggg way since 1997, and I have no idea what the perspective would have been 15-20 years ago.

Rzero likes this.
  7. Rzero

That still works. The story takes place in the near future, so modern thoughts on 90's wine are more important than anything thought in 1997.

You've lost me on most everything else today. I'm going to do research, but don't be surprised if I hit you up for a consultation when I'm ready to beta. Not that you have to agree to read the whole thing. You can if you're into it, of course, but I will likely at least come a beggin' for help rewriting twenty or so random sentences about wine selection. :)

8. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

The wine would or should be differnt according to the meal.
    • Sauvignon Blanc – white or light fish, mild cheese, fruit.
    • Chardonnay – grilled chicken, salmon, shellfish, and grilled fish, anything with a cream sauce.
    • Pinot Noir – light meats, chicken, grilled anything, salmon.
    • Merlot – pasta, red meat, duck, smoked or grilled foods.
    And then there is the glass.

[​IMG]

Of course my favorite would be...
    Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache Grand Cru

9. Homer Potvin

Funny enough, I'm actually at the restaurant now checking on things. Here's the cabernet wine rack. Most of them Napas. The far right rows are all high-end Bordeaux. $200-$400 each. The Saint-emilion is around $700.

ETA: file size too big... I'll try to shrink it later.

Rzero likes this.