1. Wreybies

Wreybies Arroz Con Admin Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

Contest Winner! Winner for October 2018 Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Monthly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Wreybies, Nov 6, 2018.

@exweedfarmer takes the prize for the October 2018 Halloween Short Story Contest!

You can read the story here: Drone On

Congratulations on a great story. ;)

ToDandy likes this.
  2. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Best Unexpected Ending Ever!! Congrats @exweedfarmer.

3. Night Herald

Night Herald An ill wind is blowing. Supporter Contributor

Congratulations @exweedfarmer, great story. It's one of the three I considered voting for. I went with Where You'll End Up, which to my mind had the best (read: scariest) atmosphere.

I have some brief notes on each story at home, I'll edit them in later.

dbesim likes this.
  4. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Well done, @exweedfarmer on a well-written and innovative story. I really enjoyed it, which is why I voted for it.

ToDandy likes this.
  5. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Contributor Contributor

Thanks for the words and the vote.

Mark Burton likes this.
  6. dbesim

dbesim Contributor Contributor

@exweedfarmer - congratulations for the win. I voted for your story. Hope to see more from you in future.

7. Night Herald

Night Herald An ill wind is blowing. Supporter Contributor

I got sidetracked yesterday, but here are my comments:

Drone On: A fun, well-written story. Good foreshadowing with the low-flying airplanes. Nice reveal. Good pacing and characterization. Just solid all round.

Spirit Animals: I really liked this one. The phone behind the stove with the alarm was a nice touch, which added a real sense of urgency that helped drive the story. After that conflict was concluded, there was still plenty of steam left to make it over the finish line. Probably the story that grabbed me the hardest, and one of the best written. Really considered voting for this one.

True Stories Remembered: Interesting stream-of-consciousness piece. It didn't make sense to me, in the proper meaning of the word, but it took me places and showed me things, and there was a particular emotional undercurrent throughout it all. Quite enjoyable.

Prey: A classic horror scenario, well performed. This was the story with the strongest cinematic element and the most vivid pictures. I love stories based around a "contagion from the stars" type scenario. Well done!

Where you'll end up: The one I voted for. I think it was the "scariest", for lack of a better word... most atmospheric, in any case. It was well written, but I guess it won my vote on characterization. I could relate to both the fed-up old teacher and those young barbarians. I also appreciate the strong supernatural vibe of the ending, which I feel was one of the strongest in this competition.

Good work, everyone!