1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Winner mootz Short Story Contest 114: Flash Fiction Special

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, May 28, 2012.

mootz - A Living Thing

“... it's benign,” Dr. Willow said, heavy brows knitting.

The words came and went like a gentle breeze—one that knocked a small boulder off my shoulder. Still, one tumor down, two to go.

“Just, the big one, doc,” I said. He shifted his stance, his weight falling back on a right foot that seemed to want to leave the room as much as I did. I don't think he realized how far away he seemed with that simple gesture. “The one--” I trailed off. “The one in my head.”

He swallowed.

“This isn't easy for me to say--”

“Sticks and stones, doc,” I said with the last bits of courage I could muster. “No matter what you say, you can't hurt me. What's done is done, you can only help.”

A curious, brief smile curled on the edges of his lips, only to disappear like a shadow caught in peripheral. False hope? Yes. My heart fluttered for that moment.

“I admire your spirit.”

“I admire co-eds with penchants for short shorts,” I wryly snickered. I kept my gaze level and the laugh that he replied with was as uneasy and burdened as I could handle at the time. My answer was there in his eyes, I just had to read it, though I wouldn't yet.

“If we could've found it sooner--”

My eyes glazed over. I could see his fingers twitching about his files—my files, or charts. I think they are called charts. My legs dangled over the edge of the gurney table and I couldn't feel the floor. With nothing to stand on, I felt alone. I was gone!

No images flashed before my eyes. No farewells came to mind. No loose ends. As I slowly returned to my body, the doctor's words came back to me, as if the volume of the entire world rose.

“--twelve months... maybe fourteen.”

“In time for a check-up,” I chuckled. “In time for a check-up,” I repeated, voice low the second time. “Perhaps I shouldn't have missed so many in a row before now. Well, I did. I messed up and I can already see it on your face. I'm different now—I'm 'terminal.' Don't you dare think you can treat me like that! Don't look at me like I'm your grandfather with a foot in the ground. Treat me like a man, like your damn friend.

“Say it, Willow. Say it! Look me in the eyes and say it so I know I'm not dead to you. Tell me 'I told you so.' Now!”

A thousand muscles twitched in his face, ones only the doctor could name. Truth and honor, life and death, duty and disaster... I don't know what struggles were surfacing on that damn doctor's face. I just know he couldn't say it, and that I was too far gone to still be a living thing in the eyes of others.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Congratulations, mootz!

3. Skodt

Skodt Member

Good work with the dialouge and character feeling. I think that your work with the characters was what won you this.

4. mootz

mootz Member

Thank you.

Thanks a lot. Getting across the age and attitude of the characters in the limited space was my goal and challenge. Now, if I can only do that consistently throughout the course of 120k words, then I'd be set. lol

5. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

Congratulations as well.