1. Reece

Reece Member

WIP YA Fantasy Yet Unnamed

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Reece, Feb 25, 2019.

Suppose I should keep a journal. I have a half-assed one kicking around in a Word document, but there's no accountability in that. I'll put it here as well, as sort of an exercise in exposure therapy.

WIP is a YA Fantasy full of all the tropes I love but cringe to even think about discussing for some reason. Perhaps because my husband keeps referring to it as my Maradonia and asks at least once a day in ye olde English, which I am not using, how Velvet Verdigrand (or whichever other fantasy-esque mock name he has come up with that day) is fairing in the troll castle (there is no troll castle).

There will be faeries and elves and dragons and magic and all that good crap that I adore.

Current status: First draft, book 1 of 3, possibly more considering I keep on adding chapters to my initial framework. Ideal word count ~100k+

February 24, 2019. Word count = 45209

Just finished a chapter wherein we discussed the possible goings on in the Elven province. What the heck are they doing with fairy blood? Devious things. A war is coming. MC needs to win herself a dragon in the coming few chapters. Have laid the groundwork for upcoming romantic relationships. Need to start putting down more of those bricks so that I can smash them down later.

2. graveleye

graveleye Active Member

oh those poor fairies!

Reece likes this.
  3. Reece

Reece Member

You don't know the half of it! Don't worry though, we have a half-fairy MC gearing up to kick some asses and knock some heads together.

Shenanigator and graveleye like this.
  4. graveleye

graveleye Active Member

hurray:) Now get ta work! :crazy:

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Welcome aboard! My WIP also embraces every overused fantasy trope possible so you are not alone!
    Godspeed and good writing!

Shenanigator, Reece and graveleye like this.
  6. Reece

Reece Member

Feb 26, word count = 49671

Starting to get stressed a little bit. Worried about total word count, though I am sure I will be able to cull a lot when I finally go back to edit. This is going to be the first of three (at least), and I am really struggling to make sure that it has a standalone plot. There are plenty of happenings, and a few large things are exposed, but there isn't, you know, something discovered in the first few chapters that will be resolved towards the end. In fact, I am finding that towards the end she will end up with more questions than answers, leading into the next book. I don't want to piss anyone off, if anyone ever ends up reading it.

I'm just finishing up my outline, and I am really struggling with the last few chapters.

Shenanigator and Stormburn like this.
  7. Reece

Reece Member

Feb 28, word count = 49989

I had gotten up to about 52k and then had a mini crisis. I spent a few hours last night whittling things down and reworking some chapters to give MC a goal straight from the beginning. I think that wanting to murder the leader of the nation that killed nearly all your people, including your family, and locked the rest of you in a mining camp to toil away for the last 15 years is reasonable. I'm also reworking her to be a bit more angry. Originally I had her sort of accepting things as they are and forcing her anger down far away. She is still battling with her anger, but this time she is failing a bit more. Also went back in and added some friends that she will want to rescue later, though the rest of them kind of treated her like shit because she looks different and was treated differently by their captors (the elves are bleeding the fairies, but MC has skin they can't pierce, so they find her a particularly interesting challenge). Today I am going to go through the last 14 of the 18 chapters I have so far and do a quick edit, rework my spreadsheet and "list of shit to remember." I doubt I'll have any time today for new chapters, but hopefully I will have some time tomorrow before my docs start shooting reports over for me to type.

8. Reece

Reece Member

March 2, word count = 47625

I was cruising along so well, and then I started doubting myself. I started re-reading things, and things that I had loved a week ago I now hate. I also underestimated the amount of time it would take me to edit. It takes frigging forever. Now I'm totally frustrated. I feel like I need to tear everything apart. I find it so hard to put my ideas down in a cohesive manner. I was using a spreadsheet, and I think really it's the best option, but ugh. I feel like I am Marie Kondo-ing my story. Like I'm going through a closet and throwing clothes everywhere. Why did I even buy this skirt? I really hope I can get my rhythm back.

9. Reece

Reece Member

March 3, word count = 46265

Okay. I'm feeling a lot better now. I've whittled down the last 18 chapters, took some stuff out, change some things. I've rejigged my outline, and I'm feeling mostly okay about this. While I will have an overarching theme that will not reach conclusion in this book, I've got 3 arcs that I think are engaging and will end well enough. There are still going to be some questions at the end, because I started this with the intention of there being 3 books, but I don't think anyone would be upset by the ending. I'm nervous to post anything for people to look at, because I am fragile and it will hurt to be told I'm crap, but I guess I need to get over that hey? Perhaps I should just finish the last 17 chapters, edit those, edit the entire thing again, and then worry about letting people look at it.

10. Reece

Reece Member

March 6, word count = 51919

This is rapidly turning from borderline YA/NA to NA. I wish there was more to define the difference between the two. There's swearing, but it isn't gratuitous, and there are sexy scenes, and there will be sex scenes, though I don't plan to get terribly graphic. I also do not plan to be like, "and then they went to the bedroom, and then it was the next day." I just finished a scene which is a fight turned kiss. It makes me cringe a bit to say 'out loud', but I think it works. The woman is quite volatile. She's pissed off about something and wants to fight. He is a very stoic kind of responsible dude, but he agrees to spar with her if only to keep her from getting into trouble, since she seems bent on that. She ends up being a lot stronger than he thought, and she taunts him the entire time. She loves this shit. Both of them have adrenaline pumping. He is getting more and more incensed. She is soaking it up. Then yada yada yada, they kiss.
    [​IMG]

These doubts are KILLING ME. I am worried about absolutely fucking everything. Just keep going. Just spit it out. It will feel good to have finished the manuscript even if it is a heap of garbage.

I'm now going to try to spit out chapter 21. If things go well, perhaps a bit of 22. Godspeed, self. Thank you, self.

Shenanigator and graveleye like this.
  11. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Congratulations! Now you're a real writer. :)

Seriously, it's part of the process, and most of us go through it. I'm firmly convinced this is why Fitzgerald, Hammett, et al drank so much.

Reece likes this.
  12. Reece

Reece Member

Hah! I need to get me a bottle of something to help cope ;)

John-Wayne likes this.
  13. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman with a pen in hand Contributor

Aww... man.... this is what it's like when doves. Cry.

Any chance you know about Empress Theresa?

also,

Also, perfectly normal. @Shenanigator knows all about this when it comes to me. :p . I am constantly in a state of doubt and self-defeatist. just expect to get frustrated and start saying the "F" word when the 10th round of editing comes around. LOL.

:cheerleader:

also,

:read::write:

Reece likes this.
  14. Reece

Reece Member

I do not know about Empress Theresa, but a quick google gives me:
    " 1.1/5 ยท Goodreads
    5% liked this book"

I shall have to look into this. I hope it is at least amusingly bad.

15. John-Wayne

I'll just let you know it's painful bad, just read the reviews on Amazon, they are a much better read. I stopped during chapter 2 because I just couldn't take it.... Let's just say the Author likes to project. :p . oh and give alot of useless information no one cares about and really, really prompts up Theresa.

though I do need to go back and grind through my copy of it. :p .

that and another bad one I am reading at the moment, called Growing Around: Party Panic, it's bad in a ironic-painful way, I will just warn if you have suffered any childhood abuse, do not read it.

Reece likes this.
  16. Reece

Reece Member

I think I need to read this tire fire.

John-Wayne likes this.
  17. John-Wayne

Oh! it is a grand tire fire at that. It's a what not to do... type of book. but if you are up for some good comedy read the amazon reviews. There are also some good videos on Youtube you can watch that can give you a heads up on what your about to get into. :p .

Reece likes this.
  18. Reece

Reece Member

http://empresstheresa.com/ <-- is this real life?

John-Wayne likes this.
  19. John-Wayne

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention his site. Lol

20. XRD_author

XRD_author Member Supporter

Hey, he know it's a good story: he likes it. ;)

Seriously, I admire his moxie, and it's not the worst thing I've sampled on Amazon.

John-Wayne likes this.
  21. John-Wayne

Right, LOL.

I suppose, but when that Moxie is misguided. I enjoy my own stories but I also care enough to want to improve them as well. I actually left a review finally under one of my user names.

edit: Aww man, NOrman responded. I feel so honored. :p

Oh Man! I feel like I am missing out, I am a connoisseur of bad books. :p .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Reece likes this.
  22. Reece

Reece Member

Okay. I've been having some heavy anxiety lately when it comes to writing. Unsure why exactly. Even the thought of simply looking at what I've written is giving me tightness in the chest and the back of the neck. I have to take deep breaths with long exhalations through pursed lips open only as much as the center of a Lifesaver. I haven't had a Lifesaver in a long time... One time I choked on a butterscotch Lifesaver in the back of my mom's Gremlin, but I digress. I have a chapter back from a chapter swap, and I haven't even opened the email for like three days. Even seeing it in my inbox makes me anxious. I don't really know why. The person I am swapping with is super nice and helpful. I hate this kind of anxiety. No real precipitating cause. Nothing I can put a finger on to fix. Generalized, as they say. Terrible stuff. At any rate, I've had enough therapy to know that the only way to deal with this is to charge in head on, so I'm going to do that now. My hope is that I'll get through the chapter review, make some changes, touch up my next one and then send it off. Not worried about increasing the word count right now. Even opening Word will be a significant achievement. Currently rolling on some stress release aromatherapy oil and about to open up a meditation app to try and get my shit together. In through the nose. Out through the Lifesaver.

23. graveleye

graveleye Active Member

I get way overly emotional about what I've written, but I can't say it's given me anxiety.
    What is it that you're anxious about? Criticism? Fear of failure or...?

24. Reece

Reece Member

Probably a bit of both, but I have no grounds for it right now. The only way I would consider myself having failed is if I don't finish, and the person I am swapping chapters with has never been harsh with me. I think it's just a general fear of the unknown. It has passed since yesterday, thankfully. In these situations I just need to remind myself to push through. I ended up critiquing one of his chapters, making changes to my own based on the critique he gave me and then finishing a chapter I had been working on. So I feel like I was pretty productive once I forced it. It was difficult, but I'm really glad I forced myself to do it. It's hard sometimes because I have pretty low energy, but coffee can make me quite anxious, so I need to make sure I eat when I drink coffee. I think that might have been part of my problem.

Stormburn and graveleye like this.
  25. graveleye

graveleye Active Member

Coffee, especially in excess, will do that to some. I used to drink a pot a day, now I barely make it through a cup before the jitters kick in.

And I think you're also talking about one reason I avoid setting my work out for critique before it's done. I'm also a songwriter/composer and I certainly don't allow other musicians to critique my music as I am writing it. When I paint or draw, I don't let someone critique it while I'm sketching. I'm the same way with my writing. It's my story. It's my style. It's grammatically correct. What's to critique if it's how I already want it?

I know... writing is a different animal, but I'm a bullheaded animal lol

Hang in there - you got this:)

Reece and Stormburn like this.