1. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Word count for Crime

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Francis de Aguilar, Mar 3, 2021.

I have a complete Crime novel at 56k this is just the way the story unfolded. I fear if I push it to the recommended 80k+ it will lose its punch. However, I want to query this book. Is it a waste of time to query a 56k Crime novel?

2. More

More Active Member

Crime novels fall into the more general category of suspense. Most suspense novels are in the 75 to 100k word count, for the reasons you have pointed out. I don't believe your novel is too short to submit. It just needs to be good.

Francis de Aguilar likes this.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It seemed like your novel had a decent number of characters. Are there any lacking in development? This may not be a crime novel's strong suit but may be a way to lengthen it a bit, maybe add a chapter or two with several scenes (relevant to the plot) that would push it above 60k. Of course doing it in a way that doesn't seemed forced or ruin the suspense may be a challenge and may do more harm than good.

Francis de Aguilar likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Peter Turnbull's P Division series (published iirc by penguin) are all in the 60k ish area... 56 might be a bit short but its certainly doable... its better to have a taut well plotted 56k words than an 80k standard where 24k is clearly filler

Francis de Aguilar and More like this.
  5. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Encouraging. I am exploring ways to add to the word count. I am reluctant though.