1. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

word count for text?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by bsbvermont, Jul 3, 2014.

I know the standard word count is 250 a page, but I was wondering if there is any standard for a text that has figures, charts and reproducibes. I might just need to guesstimate in my proposal, but if anyone has a thought on this, I'm all ears.

2. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Surely that would depend upon the size of your figures, charts and reproducibes.

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

The 250 words per page standard works because everything is uniform.

Each letter takes the same amount of space, the paper is legal sized, and formatted to leave margins as borders of about an inch. That's how the average was worked out to 250.

Whatever image you put in has no standard size and cannot be uniform to all other images without every image being the exact same size all across the book.

So, if you format ever image to be the same size, you can then count all the words on each page with an image of uniform size and then find the average.

4. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

Thanks Mike and A.M.P....that's pretty much what I was figuring...I'll try to guesstimate by backing off the number of tables, figures and reproducibles or roll 3 dice and see what number turns up. Happy writing.