1. thewolf

thewolf New Member

Farming Calendar in the Pays de la Loire

Discussion in 'Research' started by thewolf, Jul 24, 2017.

Hello! This is my first post on here, so I hope I've got the format and all that right...

I'm writing a story set in the Vendee during the French Revolution (the 1789 one). The story starts in late February/early March (not certain which yet, as my research isn't quite as honed-in as it should be, and that will determine a lot) of 1793 in a rural, middle-of-nowhere sort of community. I'm neither French nor a farmer, so my knowledge of French agriculture is nonexistent. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give a general outline of what a farming community would be doing at various points throughout the year in the Pays de la Loire or could point me to good resources on the matter. The story doesn't focus on farming, so I don't need a super in-depth understanding (at least not for my first draft, anyway), but, as farming was a big deal in the Vendee in 1793, some idea of when the plants are tall and when they're short (or any other information that comes to mind) would be quite useful.

Thanks in advance!