1. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

Word Count Requirements

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Det Del Dragons, Nov 15, 2022.

Hello there. I just have a question about word counts. I sent a query to a literary agent who told me to increase my word count and send it back to them. They didn't give me an exact number for how many words I should have. I wrote a YA fantasy novel and it was originally at 66,000 words, and today I just hit 80,000. I'm planning to keep adding to it and eventually reach 90,000. Does that seem reasonable for a YA fantasy book? I looked up some articles and it seems like most books in the genre are between 90-110 thousand, but then there are also books like The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe which has like 36,000, and I'm just trying to figure out where I should be before I resend my novel to the agent.

Native Ink likes this.
  2. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

80k is the standard for new writers. Even Rowling with Harry Potter book 1 kept it to 77k. Not saying you can't blow past that and get away with it, but shooting for 80k will keep you safe.

Native Ink and Det Del Dragons like this.
  3. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

Thanks! This is really helpful. I didn't realize there was a difference between what is expected of new writers and individuals who have already published.

Native Ink and Seven Crowns like this.
  4. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

This article on Career authors should help you. The list expected word counts by genre.
    https://careerauthors.com/genre-book-length/

Native Ink likes this.
  5. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

Thank you! This is really helpful.

Native Ink likes this.