Tags:
  1. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

Comic Area

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Rem Nightfall, Sep 30, 2008.

Ello, everyone. I have a isty bisty idea, that may not work or may work. I assume though it won't.
    I don't know how many people write comic books on WF, but um I think we need a comic book section. It feels to odd posting my script that I read to put everything together in a comic book draw, edit, etc. And I wish to share my comics withe everyone instead of them thinking, wtf what is this guy thinking. I assume my idea won't work since most people here are fancy footers with words, but I wanted it to be known this is an awkward site to be on for comic book artist.
    I appreciate all who read this and all who take my idea into mind.
    *slight bow*
    Well chow, and I hope to read healthy replies or non healthy replies. I expect them not to be healthy though.

2. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I think a comic review area wouldn't be a bad idea, though you could just put them in your blog on here and ask people what they think.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As much as I enjoy a well-drawn and well-written comic, I feel we need to keep the site's focus on the written word. The site cannot be all things to all people. If you try, you end up making it satisfactory to no one.

I wouldn't say I am vehemently opposed, but I am not thrilled with the idea.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I would like to add how much data space a full thread of doodles would create and how it would take forever to load the page. Sure it would be nice but there are other issues besides just whether or not a comic book belongs on a writing site (which though it is a creative medium that involves a great deal of writing, I don't feel it fits this sites purpose).

This is a writing site, not a catch all for all creative formats. There are already sites in existence like this one but made for comic books/manga/cartoons. I see no reason to add another section for what can easily be found elsewhere, and which does not fit this sites objectives.

5. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

All righty then, thank you for reading my idea. I was certain this was going to happen and I appreciate you for at least reading my ideas. I guess you'll probably lose a member here. Sorry for wasting your time here, I am not a writer I don't write novels or poems, just comics. I'll find my self a site for comic books and such. Sorry for wasting your time as a member as well. I appreciate the hospitality this site has offered, but this site isn't for me obviously.
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

those who write the text for comics use the 'script & screenplay' section, since it really is a 'script' rather than regular prose... have you looked there for kindred spirits?

7. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

What about thumbnails? He will only be posting an excerpt of the whole for review, anyway, so it's not like people are going to overload the database. All things considered, it'll probably add up to about the same as/less than the photo section in General.

Rem: I can't speak for everyone here, but you haven't wasted any of my time. I assist comic artists myself, and consider manga (and comics) to be a form of creative writing. I have had to do some heavy duty translations for comics myself, so I understand how important dialogue and script is to comics.

However, just caught what mammamaia said. Definitely other people here script comics and post them for review. There's no reason for you to leave the board just yet!

8. Cogito

As for loading the database, you can only upload a limited number of images to the site. If you are linking to an external site, you have no limit, and links are small. However, we don't allow review items to consist of links to external sites, and making an exception for comics opens a can of worms we would rather keeo tightly sealed.

9. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

Thank you all for the replies again and you know what I'm going to step out of my comfort zone. I've decided to write a fantasy novel. I'm still sorry for this idea and I didn't mean anything by it. Probably made it, I assume, because I was out of my comfortable element. I appreciate it though for reading my idea ,this is once again, and thank you.
    Rem will try to stay.

Here and Now
    ~Rem Nightfall

10. Raven

Raven Banned

The main thing to remember at the end of the day Writingforums.org is a writing site for writers. Art is something completely different and while writers do write comics here we cater for writers.

I would suggest however if you wish to do comics join Deviant if you already haven't or join a site that is made for Comics.

11. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    I hear what you're saying, i'm more the character designer, then the comic creator. Seems that scripts are good enough here. Why not try to find others on this site who are members of Deviantart it might help a little

12. Cogito

Welll, comics are not only artwork. The writing IS important, which is what makes it a bit of a tough call.

But it remains primarily a visual medium, and that does present difficulties with regaqrd to this site and with its policies.

13. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Nah, a comics only section would likely be slow traffic so when I had something to ask it'd be left there to linger. I think the Script, General Writing, and Plot forums work just as well for comics as anything else.