1. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Book of the Month?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by The Freshmaker, Sep 22, 2008.

I was thinking...maybe it might be cool to do, like, a book of the month thing? Have members vote on a book to read for each month, and then have discussions on it?

Might even be good to have goals for each book. Like, "read through chapter 10 by the 15th." That kind of thing.

Just throwing it out there.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why don't you just start a thread for that in the 'book discussion' section, where it would be most appropriate?

i don't see that as something the admin needs to add to its overfull plate, do you?

3. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Seems like a good idea. Maybe we could organize some more genre-specific ones (aka: one for romance, one for fantasy, one for mystery, ect.)

4. The Freshmaker

It was just a suggestion. No need to shoot it down so harshly.

If something like this was implemented, it would seem appropriate for it to have its own subforum, with a separate discussion thread for each book. A member or a couple of members could oversee it, as is done with the short story and poetry contests (I wouldn't mind doing it, since I put the idea forward).

I'm sure that if the admins have such a problem with this idea, they can speak for themselves.

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I really like that idea. And I agree that a subforum might be necessary if the idea takes off.

What's with the harsh reponse, Maia? It was just an idea.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Maia beat me to it. The perfect place, the perfect strategy, and no site changes are needed to implement it.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what's 'harsh' about that?... it was merely a polite suggestion re the proposal and a question re what our admin should be asked to take on... 'harsh' is only in your imagination, not in my words, as they were meant only to be helpful to both poster and our hard-working admin...

8. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

This could easily be done in a single thread, and if the idea was popular enough the thread would stay afloat on its on (i was thinking sticky, but really, no need with a thingl ike this if it took off).

If it didnt, than you know the idea isnt strong enough, thus why no power would be taken to create its own sub-forum, sticky and so forth.

9. nighthawksw

nighthawksw New Member

Maybe you could start with a poll and then make a second thread devoted to it here, like they suggested? If lots of people participate, then you could try pushing for a subforum and what-not. With many people participating, it could make more sense to take the time and effort to break into a subforum.

But i agree that if this did work, a subforum would be appreciated simply because it will allow easier browsing for well-liked books and skimming of other peoples' thoughts on them.

10. DominoGray

DominoGray New Member

I think Nighthawks has the right idea here. You try to start off with an unstickied thread with this premise. If that consistently stays aloft, then the invisible eye of the market dictates a sub forum. Otherwise, let it takes it own path

11. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I doubt we'd need to ask the admin to sticky it, as the "Book Discussion" forum doesn't move as quickly as we'd like for it to, anyway. Going to second Speedy's suggestion.

I think this is a great idea, btw, Fresh. I don't believe we should do subforums for different genres. I believe we could all need benefit from reaching outside our circles, and this includes our genres of choice. I'm not much of a fan of sci-fic/fantasy, but who knows? If it's on the reading list, I might be able to enjoy it on its own merits, if given the chance.

If we're going to do a poll, I'd suggest choosing one genre and finding novels within that genre, and then alternate genres monthly.

12. The Freshmaker

You guys are awesome. Great ideas.

I started a suggestion thread in the Book Discussion forum (I'll probably go back and edit it later, because I'm at work right now). Suggest away.

13. Raven

Raven Banned

Its a great idea but as my good friend Cogito has already stated we have a place already here for that.