1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Word order

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Poziga, May 31, 2017.

Hello. :)

My taste in movies develops with every movie watched and my writing skills grow with every article written.

vs

My taste in movies develops with every watched movie and my writing skills grow with every written article.

Can someone please explain the difference in grammatical terms, because i'm sensing there is a difference but it's hard to put a tag on it.

Thank you :)

joe sixpak likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The difference I get from the two is subtle, but present.

My taste in movies develops with every movie watched and my writing skills grow with every article written.

vs

My taste in movies develops with every watched movie and my writing skills grow with every written article.

The second example carries with it an unspoken connotation of as opposed to...

My taste in movies develops with every watched movie (as opposed to those I've only read about) and my writing skills grow with every written article (as opposed to some other form of presentation).

It's an arguable difference and perhaps not everyone will feel that connotation in the second sentence, but that's what I get from it.

Poziga and Shadowfax like this.
  3. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

===========

The first sounds better to my ear. The second feels a bit awkward.
    The information content imho is the same although some English professor may find some subtle grammatical difference that makes no difference to most of us.

Poziga likes this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

My feeling is that, with No. 2, the word order "written article" implies that it's ANY written article, not just those that I have written; although "watched movie" doesn't have the same connotation. I'm thinking that it's because a written article becomes physical upon having been written, whereas a movie doesn't change its status whether I watch it or not.

You could remove that confusion by...

My taste in movies develops with every movie I watch and my writing skills grow with every article I write.

Poziga likes this.
  5. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Thank you all.

@Shadowfax yeah that was the biggest confusion. In the second example I understand both statements as quite generic. Every watched movie -> every movie that was watched. Every written article -> every article that was written.

Whereas in the first example I get a feeling that the movies were watched by me and articles were written by me, but it sounds a bit unnatural/rigid. That's why I asked if it was possible to write the first option. Your solution is the most sensible, though :)