1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Netbook

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by BillyxRansom, Dec 26, 2010.

I asked for a Notebook or something similar for Christmas, so I could do some writing in different places, not restricting myself to the inside of these walls every time I wish to write. Plus the different environments, of course, are able to inspire.

I got a Netbook. I keep reading reviews that say they're not so hot. My friend tells me they aren't recommended for writing.

Has anyone read up on these, or does anyone have one? What do you think? I'm not trying to do anything that anyone beyond novice would need to do, was this a bad call?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't think it was a bad call. I can't think of a reason why a netbook wouldn't be just fine for writing. It's not like you are going to be using heavy system resources for that.

3. BillyxRansom

That's what I was thinking. I don't even know anything about any of that.

Question is, is there a risk involved, i.e. with memory/space issues.

4. Steerpike

How much storage space does yours have? Many of them have well over 100GB, and if all you are doing is writing it would take a hell of a lot to fill that up.

Many netbooks are limited in terms of RAM (~1gb), but again if you're interested in something for writing, that should be sufficient, particularly if you are running one of the linux netbook operating systems. But even with the Windows versions I think 1GB would be OK if you are using it as a writing machine.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I used a netbook for a little under a year, and it was fine for writing and surfing the web. It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but I use a flashdrive so that wasn't really an issue. As long as you aren't playing games or doing video editing, a netbook will do just fine.

6. BillyxRansom

This has been the major complaint.

So I should be alright.

Sweet.

Could I carry this in my backpack? I'm in a wheelchair, so the backpack goes right on the back handles. It should be safe, right?

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I have a netbook, and I carry it in a child's backpack. It'll be just fine.

8. Steerpike

...and if you really want a CD/DVD drive at some point you can always get an external one.

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, the netbook is really small (I think it's around 11" across), so carrying it in your backpack should be no problem. It's also fairly light.