1. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

Architecural Software

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by lostinwebspace, Feb 7, 2014.

Here's an odd request. I'm looking for some free but decent architectural software for layouts of buildings, areas, etc. so I keep things consistent. Anyone know of any for a person who doesn't know architecture? Should be easy to learn, not a resource hog (obviously), and can export to an image file: GIF, JPEG, whatever.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why don't you google for architects' forums and ask there?

3. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

4. Passero

Passero Member

Try Google SketchUp
    I use it for other things and I love the rich library. If you want to use it to put some stuff in a room like tables and chairs, you will probably be able to download them directly from the library.
    Houses are also available so you can adjust them and play around.

5. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Are you looking for something that will produce 3D or is floor plans sufficient?

6. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

Thanks or the suggestions guys. I'm gonna try these out. :)

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. But then I thought I didn't really want to sign up to a site just to ask that question and then never show up again. But then I thought as well...I might actually need help working on this stuff. So I might still sign up.

Nah, just a floor plan. I'm not that good. :p

Actually, now that I'm on the topic, do any of these--DraftSight, Sketch Up, etc.--have options for larger-scale maps too? Something that looks like a Tolkien-type map but for urban or futuristic settings? I'm guessing no, but who knows?

7. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Do a search for Dreamplan Home Design and Roomeon. They are both supposedly freeware plan and layout designers. I haven't acuatually used them, so I can't vouch for how effective they are.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm sure you'll find that architects, as well as other professionals, are generally happy to share inside info about their field of work... and you'll get lots of good ideas/info/anecdotes you may find useful to include in your story...