Workflow and successful writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Alan Aspie, Mar 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I didn't know that.

I do know that one of my favourite Scottish historical writers (he died some years ago in his 90s) was Nigel Tranter. He used to walk WHILE he wrote. He carried a long legal pad with him every day, and he took a walk along the seashore and a long boardwalk area near his home. And that's where he wrote, in pen. He would stop and lean against something and write. Then walk a little ways more, and write. When he got back home he would give the written pages to his secretary to type up. I have no idea what he did in rainy weather, but he must have had some trick up his sleeve.

2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I’ve read that walking (besides providing basic health and blood flow benefits) is good for writers because it’s boring.

A lot of people are never bored. TV, books, audio books, radio, internet, and gaming make sure the brain is constantly absorbing media and never free to think.

But if you let yourself get bored, that’s the space creative thought happens best in.

Again, that’s a part of why I think anxiety and depression are word count killers. It’s hard to be bored when you’re anxious or sad. Because fretting isn’t really being bored, and you end up seeking distractions from it.

Nobelgia, Shenanigator, Reece and 3 others like this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Find what works for you. I have demanding day job and personally can't be creative with artificial deadlines and words counts and all that. I write what I can, when I can, and have found a certain measure of success and enjoyment with that.

jannert and Shenanigator like this.
  4. jannert

Oh, gosh. That's kind of like my friend. She loves computers and got a job requiring her to work with a computer all day long ...and now I struggle to get her to reply to emails! She's just burnt out on the medium.

I don't know. Maybe just give yourself some time to settle into the new job and routine, while continuing to think about your story when you have time to yourself. Go for enjoyment rather than productivity, for the time being? If any great ideas come to you, scribble them down somewhere, but don't feel you need to write when you don't want to. I think this is a situation that will probably find its own level.

Although my job didn't require a lot of writing, I found it easy to get time to write by going to bed really early at night (I was usually in bed by 8pm) and then getting up at 4-4.30am, after a good 8 hours' sleep, and doing my writing then. My brain was fresh and ready to go with ideas, and I wasn't in danger of being interrupted. By the time I had to leave for work every day, I had put in 2-3 hours of writing. It was fantastic, and I always looked forward to it.

I'd say give yourself some adjustment time and space, and see what comes of it. But don't let go of your stories! Keep them alive in your head.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    deadrats likes this.
  5. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Do you work from home?

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

About focus, concentrating, performance, creativity, fulfilment... And something else.

Daniel Goleman. Best seller author. Dr in psychology...

jannert and John Calligan like this.
  7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Back when I was working in a rather demanding job, there were many times when I just couldn't make the time to pursue my own writing. And I found that you really can't force it. There will be times when the job, or family, or other life challenges, leave you without the time and space one needs to create. My advice is to do what you have to do and the hunger to write will return when you're ready for it.

Good luck in the new job.

jannert likes this.
  8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Interesting. When I'm "farming" (working on my tenth-of-an-acre vegetable garden) I often come up with solutions to plot tangles while forking a bed, and I tend to get a lot of writing done on my phone when I collapse for a break.

9. jannert

It's almost perverse, isn't it? When I'm not at my computer writing, that's when I get my best ideas! I don't have that kind of a phone (I still have a landline/StupidPhone) but I do always keep a wee notebook to hand. Then I have to try to read my scribble when I get home.

Shenanigator likes this.
  10. Alan Aspie

The creative thinking part of your creative work happens when you let your mind wander.

The successful execution happens when you don't let your mind wander.

Different parts of same work. Qualitatively different ways of thinking - in an exclusive way.

That is one reason I find handling workflow so important.

jannert likes this.
  11. jannert

Yeah, that was mentioned in that excellent video you posted by Daniel Goleman. I only watched half of it, but I'm considering buying his book.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  12. Alan Aspie

Which of them?

13. jannert

Actually, I just did. I bought Focus, the book he was discussing in the video. I look forward to reading it on my Kindle.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  14. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Pity me, I just sit down and start typing.
    Sometimes it comes easy, but usually not. No matter what, I don't quit a writing session until I've come up with something I really like. It may take two hours, or twelve, but there's no quitting till I accomplish the day's writing goal.
    Now, how do we plumb the depths of creativity? You don't. Simply set your unconscious mind free. She's with you all the time, though she's very timid, and you won't likely feel her tap on your shoulder if you're trying too hard or thinking too loud.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  15. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I would first let yourself settle into your new job and see what hours you have free.

In one job I had I used to plan the chapter in the week then write it on the weekend. In another job I got home earlier so could write then. I also used to write in my lunch hour.
    Try writing exercises to keep up your skills and if nothing else read.

16. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think it can be hard to have a writing job that isn't creative writing and then fit creative writing into your schedule as well. I've been there and honestly never could find the balance I was looking or hoping for. My advice would be to leave work at work. Don't take anything home with you. Don't take on any weekend work projects. And my other advice would be what @jannert said about getting up early to write. There is something calming about those early morning hours before most people are up. It can feel a little like extra time. Still get enough sleep, but it you can go to bed earlier and wake up earlier, it might allow you to get in that creative headspace and find the time you're looking for. I didn't start early morning writing until years after leaving my past profession, but I think if I had, it could have helped. Good luck with everything.

EdFromNY likes this.
  17. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

I try to write 500 words a day in my WIP.

I've been finding that it is a lot easier to pick up the story the next day if I stop at a mini-cliffhanger.

Maybe I stop in the middle of a conversation, or someone is getting out of a car about to go to someone's house, a cop pulls them over, things like that. Then the next day I carry on.

I don't know if it works continuity wise or if the scenes unfold in jerks and jolts, but that's what I'm doing this go round.

Have you a method to keep the flow going from day to day?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  18. Azarro

Azarro New Member

So I'm not a writer but I want to start writing. I want to write a prologue from one of the characters past and then start the first chapter with an incident or a scene that happens further in the story. Then in that same first chapter I go back some time ahead to when the main characters met. Is this structure fitting or is it confusing?

What do u think?

Another thing is I don't normally read books so do u think it would be possible for someone like me to write a story.

19. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Well, reading books is probably one of the easiest ways to learn how to write books, but I wouldn't say it's impossible, just that you're doing yourself a disservice.

Cave Troll, Azarro and Alan Aspie like this.
  20. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

If you don't read novels, then don't try to write one, it will be a mishmash in its organization. Maybe writing a screenplay would be more appropriate, or graphic novels (comic books to those really old!). Both are equally valid storytelling devices.

Cave Troll, Maverick_nc and Azarro like this.
  21. Alan Aspie

Yes. It is possible to write a story even if you don't read.

But...

Most published authors seem to be bookaholics. That is the base level. Competition starts from that level.

So... Start reading. Buy a book a week - and read it. It'll help your writing a lot.

Azarro, Lifeline and deadrats like this.
  22. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Libraries are also an option if you're on a budget.

23. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think the lack of reading would make it much more difficult. Is there any particular reason why you don't read books? And how many have you read in the past? If you've read a lot of novels and are taking a break from reading now, I would regard that as different from never having read many novels.

24. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Reading is where I learned how to structure a story. The easiest way to learn is by example. There really isn't a short cut. Nothing anyone says here is really going to help you much if you don't understand how a story is pieced together. @Alan Aspie is right that most if not all successful writers are readers. Honestly, I can't understand how someone can be much of a writer if that aren't a reader as well. I also don't understand wanting to write much outside of journaling for yourself or whatever if you don't like reading books. And just know that this is a really competitive thing we're all trying to do. Your competition is going to be well read (for the most part) and that's going to show in their work just as much as lack of reading will probably show in yours. If you really want to do this, crack open a book and see how the pros are doing it. Personally, I found structuring a story to be a pretty easy thing after years and years of reading. Read feverishly. It will help way more than you can imagine.

Azarro and Lifeline like this.
  25. jannert

Hi, Azarro! I agree with what everybody says about reading. Reading gets you familiar with the medium you are choosing to tell your story. It's not impossible (I suppose) to write without reading, but I can't think of any examples of this.

Is there a reason you don't read? I know some people have eyesight issues, which means they can't read from the printed page very well. In any case, I would highly recommend that you get hold of some audio books. You can listen to them just about anywhere, when you have some free time. While you'll be listening to the stories being read out loud, they are at least in the format you'll be trying to re-create. It will get you familiar with how novels are structured.

As far as your specific question goes ...well I have done exactly the same thing! Started my novel with a prologue from one of my characters' pasts, then moved forward (skipping several years) in Chapter One. However, I would be cautious about too much in the way of flashbacks after that, though. They can work, but they can also become distracting.

At one point during my writing of my novel, I got so fed up with my flashbacking that I actually sat down on the floor with my manuscript and a pair of scissors. I cut all the flashbacks out, then re-assembled them in chronological order, interspersed with the other scenes I was writing about. It was funny how clear events became, when they were told in chronological order. Seeing it spread out in front of me like that told me what I needed to do in my story.

In general, I'd say avoid writing flashbacks unless they are absolutely essential to be presented like that. They can be distracting for the reader.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! We look forward to seeing you around, and getting to know you better. Have fun! :)

Azarro, LoaDyron and Lifeline like this.