1. coolie96

coolie96 New Member

Working off a Required Prompt

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by coolie96, Mar 7, 2011.

I have a prompt as the exposition of a mystery story required in the final copy, but the exposition does not fit my style or my idea of a plot. How can I deal with this problem?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Can you explain in more detail? What do you mean by "prompt"? And why doesn't the exposition fit your style? Why are you being forced to use material you don't choose yourself? Is this a school assignment or something like that?

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

If it is a work of fiction you can take that prompt and tailor it to your style - unless you are writing murder mystery games for company etc and they have expectations.

Give it your own spin. Prompts are usually fairly vague. Just come up with a character and start writing.

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

This is what I did when faced with such a problem back in school: I simply completely derailed the story in an outrageous way to make it suit my own style of writing. The result was great.

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

So a "prompt" is a writing assignment with certain requirements on content?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as noted above, we need more info...

7. coolie96

coolie96 New Member

It is required for a pre-written page to be included and used preferrably as the exposition (referred to as both exposition and prompt.) The rest is up to the writer. I was struggling with creating a plot to go along with the page (written from the perspective of a early teen) and still keep it uniquely me.

I have an idea now of how I can complete it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A prompt of this type is a challenge. If it forces you out of your comfort zone, that's generally a GOOD thing.

9. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Or you can cheat and make the question/prompt fit your comfort zone lol I've often done that with academic work and now do it when I play with the plot generators.

Take the question turn it inside out, back to front and make it work for you. This also a useful skill especially when faced with an exam question etc Also often allows you to hand in a piece of work that stands out.

10. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

One way is to treat the mandatory text as a part of a letter found, prompting the reader to go on a quest.... or some other action. You have then freed yourself from much of the boundaries, I guess, but whether the idea is feasible will depend on the actual text....