1. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Workshop - no more critique needed, thank you.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Rosacrvx, Feb 25, 2018.

This has probably been said in the forums a hundred times, but new members still have doubts whether it's OK to tell us clearly when they don't want more critique on their work, so I'll post this as a reminder.
    If you really are not interested in more critique for a particular work you've posted on the Workshop, it's OK (and I'll even call it polite), to let a potential reader know this before they read it. You can edit your first post with a single opening sentence as polite as:

Not interested in more critique for this piece, thank you

and readers will move on to the next.
    It's frustrating to read a piece in order to critique it only to find out that the reader is not interested. Meanwhile, while we are reading that piece, we're wasting time that could be used to critique another piece of writing whose writer is still very much interested in critique.
    Just saying. If you're not interested anymore, let us know. No need to delete or edit the piece, just tell us that critique is no longer wanted for that piece.
    It may still get critiques, of course, but attentive critiquers will notice the request.
    Thank you.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

To be honest if they don't want critique they shouldn't be posting in the workshop at all - that's what it's for , not for the display of work

Rosacrvx likes this.
  3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I agree it's polite to mention it in the thread if the OP no longer requires crits. Though I understand if members forget to do that. Then again, I usually critique fairly new posts and try to find those with fewer replies.

Rosacrvx and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Still, it's always said here that we learn from the critique we give, not the critique we get. Writing your opinions of another's work is a good way to sort out your own thought processes, and seeing what third-party members liked and didn't like about a piece is useful to the reader, even if the OP has moved on.

Rosacrvx and xanadu like this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty certain this is meant for the purpose of preventing further critiques, once the author feels they have enough to go away and work on.

jannert, Rosacrvx and Spencer1990 like this.
  6. Rosacrvx

Did it really show much that I really hate wasting my time? :p

I understand both sides on the matter, the writer moving on and being much better now, and the side of the critiquer working on their own skills. Personally, I wouldn't mind having my writing from 15 years ago still getting critiques. I would probably laugh (as I do when I read it) but it wouldn't annoy me. I've grown a very thik skin to critique. (A thick skin to critique: another skill writers should develop for their own sake, in my humble opinion.)
    However, it would please us all so much better if the writer would just let us know that the piece no longer reflects their writing and further critique is not needed. So we can all move along and be happy with our writing/critique.
    So many evils in this world would be avoided if people would only communicate! Sometimes it's all it takes. People wouldn't get so upset at things and each other if they'd only communicate. This is one of those very simple cases.

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yes, I agree with @Rosacrvx completely. I do remember spending a great deal of time critiquing one piece, and the writer came back to say he was no longer interested in that piece at all, and had basically put it up just to find out what we'd say about it. I was pretty annoyed.

I would rather 'learn from critiquing' a piece that's still ongoing, than spend time with one the writer has abandoned.

I have a few pieces of my own that I put up ages ago. I took on board what the critique givers said at the time (which was really helpful, BTW) and I have already changed the pieces a lot. People would probably spend their time better working on somebody else's now. It's so far back that people probably won't see them any more anyway. However, I might go back and put a note at the start of the threads, just in case. I don't think it bumps a thread if you add a comment to the original post, does it? Anybody know? @Wreybies?

Rosacrvx likes this.
  8. Rosacrvx

From my experience with forums, I don't think editing the original post would bump the thread. But I'd like to hear it from the mods as well. My guess is it doesn't.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don't think it would either ... but the other option would be for the OP to report the post and ask for it to be locked

jannert likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's a good idea.